Recommend some blasphemous books and movies

Page 6 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

spacebrain
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Sep 2012, 10:52 pm

Surprised no one mentioned VALIS yet.

Quote:
Man and the true God are identical -- as the Logos and the true God are -- but a lunatic blind creator and his screwed-up world separate man from God. That the blind creator sincerely imagines that he is the true God only reveals the extent of his occlusion.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 6:40 pm

The Jefferson Bible, available here:

http://www.beliefnet.com/resourcelib/do ... eth_1.html

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2012, 7:02 pm

Letter from Thomas Jefferson to John Adams

http://www.beliefnet.com/resourcelib/do ... ams_1.html

Quote:
EAR SIR, -- The wishes expressed, in your last favor, that I may continue in life and health until I become a Calvinist, at least in his exclamation of `mon Dieu! jusque à quand'! would make me immortal. I can never join Calvin in addressing his god. He was indeed an Atheist, which I can never be; or rather his religion was Daemonism. If ever man worshipped a false god, he did. The being described in his 5. points is not the God whom you and I acknolege and adore, the Creator and benevolent governor of the world; but a daemon of malignant spirit. It would be more pardonable to believe in no god at all, than to blaspheme him by the atrocious attributes of Calvin. Indeed I think that every Christian sect gives a great handle to Atheism by their general dogma that, without a revelation, there would not be sufficient proof of the being of a god. Now one sixth of mankind only are supposed to be Christians: the other five sixths then, who do not believe in the Jewish and Christian revelation, are without a knolege of the existence of a god!

Calvin's character of this supreme being seems chiefly copied from that of the Jews. But the reformation of these blasphemous attributes, and substitution of those more worthy, pure and sublime, seems to have been the chief object of Jesus in his discources to the Jews: and his doctrine of the Cosmogony of the world is very clearly laid down in the 3 first verses of the 1st. chapter of John, in these words, `{en arche en o logos, kai o logos en pros ton Theon kai Theos en o logos. `otos en en arche pros ton Theon. Panta de ayto egeneto, kai choris ayto egeneto ode en, o gegonen}. Which truly translated means `in the beginning God existed, and reason (or mind) was with God, and that mind was God. This was in the beginning with God. All things were created by it, and without it was made not one thing which was made'. Yet this text, so plainly declaring the doctrine of Jesus that the world was created by the supreme, intelligent being, has been perverted by modern Christians to build up a second person of their tritheism by a mistranslation of the word {logos}. One of it's legitimate meanings indeed is `a word.' But, in that sense, it makes an unmeaning jargon: while the other meaning `reason', equally legitimate, explains rationally the eternal preexistence of God, and his creation of the world. Knowing how incomprehensible it was that `a word,' the mere action or articulation of the voice and organs of speech could create a world, they undertake to make of this articulation a second preexisting being, and ascribe to him, and not to God, the creation of the universe. The Atheist here plumes himself on the uselessness of such a God, and the simpler hypothesis of a self-existent universe.

The truth is that the greatest enemies to the doctrines of Jesus are those calling themselves the expositors of them, who have perverted them for the structure of a system of fancy absolutely incomprehensible, and without any foundation in his genuine words. And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter. But we may hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with all this artificial scaffolding, and restore to us the primitive and genuine doctrines of this the most venerated reformer of human errors...

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 12:53 pm

I hope you have a sense of humor,ArrantPariah,for you I'll recommend The Lost Cause and Birth of a Nation :lol: I do hope you know I'm joking,I just couldn't resist.Oh yeah,a REALLY good band,Fear of the South.Ha ha

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 6:48 pm

The passion of the Benny Hill

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gTy2UlHWII[/youtube]

danandlouie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2012, 11:09 pm

the 'last testament of the holy bible' by james frey is quite an interesting take on the return of jesus. i know it chapped some butts when i found the library in the place i live would not carry it.

rpcarnell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Oct 2012, 1:06 am

Theres a good novel called Towing Jehovah, where God is dead, and a boat is towing his body.

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jun 2017, 8:10 pm