Nobody interested in the Russia-Ukraine conflict?

Page 6 of 197 [ 3140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 197  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2022, 4:38 am

Joe90 wrote:
It seems that most autistics don't worry about this stuff. I envy them.

many of us have too many other things thrust onto our plates so distracting as to totally ignore what goes on outside.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2022, 5:25 am

thinkinginpictures wrote:
Nobody interested in the Russia-Ukraine conflict?
Interested? Yes.

Obsessed? Definitely not.

Nie mój cyrk, nie moje malpy.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2022, 5:37 am

Fnord wrote:

I can't figure out the last word. Seems to be an expression.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Mar 2022, 5:56 am

r00tb33r wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Literally - "not my circus, not my monkeys".
Polish proverb meaning "I'm not the one to worry about this mess".

Well, I can't say the same myself. WWII-like scenes a few hours' drive from you and 50-100 thousand refugees crossing your borders every day are not something easy to ignore.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2022, 6:09 am

r00tb33r wrote:
Fnord wrote:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/nie_m%C3 ... ma%C5%82py

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2022, 6:40 am

auntblabby wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

many of us have too many other things thrust onto our plates so distracting as to totally ignore what goes on outside.

It just seems that I get more anxious about everything more than the majority here.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2022, 6:45 am

Joe90 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

It just seems that I get more anxious about everything more than the majority here.

there's an old african expression: "when the elephants fight, it's the grass (us people) that suffers." so for us grass types it is only natural to quake in our boots when our little world is disturbed by the psychopathic elephants fighting too close to us.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2022, 6:58 am

Joe90 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Yes, you do.
That is a verifiable fact. :mrgreen:

I don't even have to see who is posting to know it is probably you.
Seriously. ;)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2022, 10:44 am

It's purely speculation, but, I watched a David Pakman video yesterday where he talked about the possibility that Putin is terminally ill. There's a photo of him 50' away from his closest advisers at the end of a long table - maybe for covid protocols, maybe because he fears one may try to kill him, maybe because he's very ill and avoiding any germs - or maybe just because he's a germophobe. There are also a couple videos of him in the same suit at tie that were supposed to be on different days but look like they may have been pre-taped on the same day. And then some pic or vid of him looking a little dishevelled. (but the stress of a war like this could do that.)

I wonder, though.. like maybe he has some sort of actual physical illness that's causing his batshit crazy behaviour as symptoms? OR maybe he has some sort of serious/terminal illness that's motivating his behaviour - like do this to create his legacy Now or Never because he's not going to be around much longer. Hmmm.. but if the latter how would he keep Russia's hold on power once he's gone and not there to tell others what to do ??

Another interesting video said there was an article that got released that was obviously pre-written that declared victory over Ukraine and Belarus and basically gave away their end game plans of taking both regions back under Russian control in order to rebuild Russia as a super power. Woopsies! Kinda wonder if whoever published it did it on purpose in order to leak Putin's true intentions so the world knows and can work to stop him. I do hope that's what happens.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2022, 12:39 pm

Again, many headlines and viral posts of Ukrainian heroism from Zelensky on down to senior citizen civilians.

Also several reports of Russian troops basically being like “F, we don’t wanna be here doing this thing.. we were told we were being sent for a special military operation, that’s it that’s all - no one told us we were invading Ukraine and going to have to attack civilians for no reason.” So it’s a good sign that boots on the ground don’t have their hearts and minds in this battle. They’re just there out of obligation until they can leave.

And then there’s this Ukrainian man here in Canada packing bags with everything he can to take with him for the fight:

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2022/03/0 ... ts-russia/

I’m going to find out if there’s any way to contact him and if there are any more items he can pack with him that he needs. I told my twin brother the other day that I’d gladly donate to something if I knew the $ went directly to armour or ammunition for Ukrainian resistance. This may be my best opportunity to know for sure that my few dollars weren’t wasted on some non profit’s administration costs. Maybe I can help buy another bullet proof vest or something/anything. (although those are illegal for us civilians to buy here. But you get my point.)

Edit: watched the video - he’s flying out from Vancouver Today :/ BUT, at the end of the video he mentions two other locals that got in touch with him and said they intend to do the same, to go to Ukraine to fight. I think I’ll try to get in touch with him still, and the Church that raised funds. Maybe there’s a communication loop in place and I can still make a cash/supplies contribution to someone going over. 8)

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2022, 12:59 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
I think I’ll try to get in touch with him still, and the Church that raised funds. Maybe there’s a communication loop in place and I can still make a cash/supplies contribution to someone going over. 8)

Success to you.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2022, 4:15 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
I think I’ll try to get in touch with him still, and the Church that raised funds. Maybe there’s a communication loop in place and I can still make a cash/supplies contribution to someone going over. 8)

Success to you.

Thanks!

There's another article about 2 more BC locals going to join the newly created international force in Ukraine. Part of the risk is that they're not officially recognized as military members so rules of war don't apply to them if they're taken prisoner and considered terrorists by Putin.. crazy. Anyways, one of them is a cook from Vancouver island, the other is a gay man of Ukrainian decent who's actually from the suburb city I live in - so I looked him up on Facebook and shot him a message. If he replies and hasn't left yet, I'll make arrangements to contribute to his gear/supplies/airfare fund. 8)

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2022, 5:22 pm

Good on you, hope you can catch him before he leaves ! Hope he does well over there.!

where ever you go ,there you are

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2022, 5:24 pm

Good on you, hope you can catch him before he leaves ! Hope he does well over there.!

where ever you go ,there you are

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2022, 5:40 pm

Jakki wrote:

Just chatted with him on messenger. He's awaiting a response from some non-government organization that deals with consular things and possible corporate sponsorship of flights & supplies etc before making a firm and final decision to go. For family, he only has himself and his mother - and his mother's blessing to go if he chooses. Once his plans are more firm, timeline & budgets determined, he'll get back to me and let me know if he's going to rapidly need to do some fundraising for gear/supplies etc and if so take me up on my offer. 8)

I may reach out to other locals doing the same and spread a few dollars between a few different people - diversify the chances of success etc.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2022, 5:44 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
It's purely speculation, but, I watched a David Pakman video yesterday where he talked about the possibility that Putin is terminally ill.

We can only hope. 8)