International law against "slandering religion"?

Page 6 of 7 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Should there be an international law against slandering religion?
I've considered all of the practical implications, and my answer is yes. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I've considered all of the practical implications, and my answer is no. 67%  67%  [ 28 ]
I'm not sure. 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
I just drew a cartoon of Muhammad! 29%  29%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 42

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 7:55 pm

monty wrote:
oscuria wrote:
lol, I wouldn't consider Americans religious.

Well, compared to Europe, more Americans say they believe in God, more Americans attend religious worship services on a regular basis, etc. There is no doubt that much of western Europe is more secular than the US, which could be relevant to your question about secularism and a safe society.

I seriously would not consider them religious as I made the comparison that they are merely apes in clothes.

They go to the temples to wash away their sins, but they forget that within them lies all which is unclean.

It is a shame what they do to religion's name.

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 9:03 pm

I would consider that an insult to apes; afterall, do apes kill for material gain? Do apes proselytize in the name of the Almighty Banana God? Do apes steal other than to survive? Yet Americans do (as with most other humans). Seems we may not have evolved that much afterall......

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 9:08 pm

The_Chosen_One wrote:
I would consider that an insult to apes; afterall, do apes kill for material gain? Do apes proselytize in the name of the Almighty Banana God? Do apes steal other than to survive? Yet Americans do (as with most other humans). Seems we may not have evolved that much afterall......

Have you been hanging around apes? I haven't, therefore I can't assume what they have or haven't done. Only an ape can.

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 9:12 pm

From what I've seen of society these days, murdering, raping, stealing, warring, abusing, slandering, libelling, bullying, cheating...... Tell me, in your honest opinion, would an ape carry on any of these activities? To me they seem exclusively human traits, and it seems that a lot of Americans carry on these traits as well. Hence my comment on evolution.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 9:17 pm

The_Chosen_One wrote:
From what I've seen of society these days, murdering, raping, stealing, warring, abusing, slandering, libelling, bullying, cheating...... Tell me, in your honest opinion, would an ape carry on any of these activities? To me they seem exclusively human traits, and it seems that a lot of Americans carry on these traits as well. Hence my comment on evolution.

Libel? I wouldn't know. Perhaps if you give them a typewriter. I can't communicate with them either to know if they slander each other. The other traits have been observed, however.

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 9:26 pm

Apes only kill for survival, as do other animals. Apes only steal food off each other for survival as well. Or have you been watching Planet of the Apes too many times? Apes (and all other animals have never had a need for religion, it is a concept created solely by humans. Once humanity developed thought-processes and language skills, religion wasn't far behind. Then came ideologies, then war, then hatred..... Try watching 'Gorillas In The Mist' to see what bastards we as humanity really are.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 9:30 pm

The_Chosen_One wrote:
Apes only kill for survival, as do other animals. Apes only steal food off each other for survival as well. Or have you been watching Planet of the Apes too many times? Apes (and all other animals have never had a need for religion, it is a concept created solely by humans. Once humanity developed thought-processes and language skills, religion wasn't far behind. Then came ideologies, then war, then hatred..... Try watching 'Gorillas In The Mist' to see what bastards we as humanity really are.

Uhm. Not really. I would disagree with you.

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 9:36 pm

That is your entitlement. And with every debate, there must be an affirmative as well as a negative to any viewpoint.

Confused-Fish
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 9:58 pm

oscuria wrote:
Confused-Fish wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
Confused-Fish wrote:
That would work, everyone obeys laws..

You're joking, right? Do you think everyone would suddenly find virtue & restraint under a society that is even more godless?

1. i was being sarcastic
2. religion has added much more to the chaos of our society then it has virtue and restraint.

Based on what?

I have been wondering: Has society become more blatantly violent today?

I am aware violence has been a part of society since it began but has secularism created a safer society?

I really think it's bs to say Religion has caused blah blah blhah blhah blahksdhlablhah. If anything the materialist desires and irreverent lifestyles which places selfishness above giving is the cause of chaos.

religion is a social construct that encourages complete inner conformity and uses spirituality as a friendly face in order to gain power. The Spiritualism behind a religion and the religion it's self often teach completely different things.

lets look at what religion really teaches, it teaches people that they are special and chosen by god, that only they have salvation and that only they know the truth therefore teaching people that they are better than everyone else for they are ungodly (pride,hate etc) Religion teaches people to ignore the problems of this world, as many of them teach that this world will be destroyed and that a better world awaits us in the afterlife this in turn encourages selfish and materialist life styles aswell.

Religion is directly responsible for the genocides of the Amerindians, Jews, Pagans, Women who didn't like being slaves, The Slavery of Africans, oppression of women, oppression of the dalit peoples, etc etc there's thousands of things that religion is responsible for you could write essays upon essays about it..

your right about materialism and selfishness though.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 10:10 pm

Confused-Fish wrote:

your right about materialism and selfishness though.

and you're very wrong about religion.

Religion is not meant to be political. Once it does, it corrupts religion and the spirit. The Emperor Ashoka developed a religious state built on tolerance, however his history is tarnished due to others manipulating religion. It is the same reason why the swastika has lost its glory in the west; due to ignorant and disgraceful beings manipulating and usurping its nature.

A people who turns their back on religion are worthless. They parade spirituality but it is merely another name.

Now, why is it that when people blame religion for the atrocities of the world they seem to ignore the religious men and leaders who spoke publicly against them?
I always found that odd.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 10:55 pm

oscuria wrote:
I am aware violence has been a part of society since it began but has secularism created a safer society?

I really think it's bs to say Religion has caused blah blah blhah blhah blahksdhlablhah. If anything the materialist desires and irreverent lifestyles which places selfishness above giving is the cause of chaos.

I disagree with both your stance and the anti-religious stance. First of all, I believe that such chaos that you speak of is bread out of ignorance and hatred, both of which are natural things to human beings. Instead of blaming such low points of human behavior on such simple things such as "secularism" and "religion" is to, IMHO, completely missing the point. I believe that such things are merely outlets for human cruelty. In other words, when people claim that if there was no religion, there would be no crusades or religious wars, to which I respond by saying there would still be human death and casualty, but it would take a different form than religion. Also, materialism and irreverence are hardly anything new, and I don't see evidence for a correlation between those things and secularism; my family is not at all religious but we live as "traditionally" as you can possibly get (I like to joke that we're the family unit that the conservatives want to "protect" from gay marriage and other sinful things).

Forgive my inability to properly express myself, and I apologize if I am unclear.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 10:59 pm

Phagocyte wrote:
I disagree with both your stance and the anti-religious stance. First of all, I believe that such chaos that you speak of is bread out of ignorance and hatred, both of which are natural things to human beings. Instead of blaming such low points of human behavior on such simple things such as "secularism" and "religion" is to, IMHO, completely missing the point. I believe that such things are merely outlets for human cruelty. In other words, when people claim that if there was no religion, there would be no crusades or religious wars, to which I respond by saying there would still be human death and casualty, but it would take a different form than religion. Also, materialism and irreverence are hardly anything new, and I don't see evidence for a correlation between those things and secularism; my family is not at all religious but we live as "traditionally" as you can possibly get (I like to joke that we're the family unit that the conservatives want to "protect" from gay marriage and other sinful things).

Forgive my inability to properly express myself, and I apologize if I am unclear.

To clear things up, if I recall what was going on in my mind at the time I posted, the second part wasn't related to the first part (hence why they were separated by a body of space).

So basically, the second part was just a rant.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 11:02 pm

oscuria wrote:
A people who turns their back on religion are worthless. They parade spirituality but it is merely another name.

You are definitively a worthless human being for saying this. I am a humanist. And I consider life to be fairly precious. And I am attempting to do more with my limited years on this Earth than you suggest that I will do/have done, or that I am sure YOU will ever do.

There are a great deal many religious leaders who are the best people in the world. I will not make any attempt to deny this. But a vast majority of the atrocities committed upon this Earth have been done in the name of a religious belief, or otherwise justified post hoc by such religion.

On sabbatical...

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 11:12 pm

Quatermass wrote:
oscuria wrote:

You are definitively a worthless human being for saying this. I am a humanist. And I consider life to be fairly precious. And I am attempting to do more with my limited years on this Earth than you suggest that I will do/have done, or that I am sure YOU will ever do.

There are a great deal many religious leaders who are the best people in the world. I will not make any attempt to deny this. But a vast majority of the atrocities committed upon this Earth have been done in the name of a religious belief, or otherwise justified post hoc by such religion.

No one can keep you from thinking otherwise. I will keep with my beliefs though. Frankly, I couldn't care less what others think as it shouldn't have an effect on me, as my words should not to you. There are reasons why I believe this, but you bother not to ask. I'll do you the favor by not expounding.

I wouldn't consider the people who committed such atrocities which are always mentioned religious. Why? Well, read for yourself.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 11:15 pm

I have sent you a PM on an unrelated issue you have asked me about. In the spirit of goodwill, I will refrain from any response in this thread until you have read it.

On sabbatical...

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2008, 11:19 pm

Quatermass wrote:
I have sent you a PM on an unrelated issue you have asked me about. In the spirit of goodwill, I will refrain from any response in this thread until you have read it.

Thanks. You can respond now, your Moderating Highness.

:lmao: