When would slavery in the Southern States have ended...

Page 7 of 18 [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 18  Next

When would Slavery have ended, had Lincoln not intervened?
By 1875 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
By 1900 14%  14%  [ 7 ]
By 1925 14%  14%  [ 7 ]
By 1950 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
By 1975 12%  12%  [ 6 ]
By 2000 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
By 2025 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Never 26%  26%  [ 13 ]
Just show the results 16%  16%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 50

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 2:10 pm

Joker wrote:
Yes they where the British viewed them as subhuman.

Typical hyperbole.

The British exploited Ireland, to be sure. But prior to 1801 Ireland had her own Parliament and legislated for herself (subject, to be sure, to viceregal control, but in that she was no different than any other British possession). She exercised independence longer than Scotland, and was certainly never so subjugated at Wales.

After 1801, Ireland was represented in Parliament at Westminster. At the time of Union, there were 100 Irish seats in the House of Commons (of a total of 658), or roughly 1/6th of its membership. This contrasts with the complete lack of representation in Westminster for any of Britain's colonial possessions. This representation was relatively consistent through to 1922.

In 1841 (the earliest year that I can quickly find comparative data), the population of Ireland was somewhat more than 6 million, as compared with 14.9 million in Great Britain. Ireland was certainly underrepresented on that basis--but she was represented nonetheless. She also had representative peers (28) in the House of Lords, comparable with those of Scotland (24).

Now political representation was the privilege of the gentry and the aristocracy and did little to alleviate the conditions of the lower classes. But it should be remembered that the lower classes of the England fared little better (and often worse) than those of the Scotland, Ireland and Wales.

The Issue of Home Rule for Ireland was a political question in England almost before the ink was dry on the Act of Union. It was expressly stated as a political question as early as 1844:

Benjamin Disraeli wrote:
A dense population, in extreme distress, inhabit an island where there is an Established Church, which is not their Church, and a territorial aristocracy the richest of whom live in foreign capitals. Thus you have a starving population, an absentee aristocracy, and an alien Church; and in addition the weakest executive in the world. That is the Irish Question

Far from being an expression of disdain, this appears to me to be a succinct--and even respectful--understanding of the political situation.

So while the Irish have many legitimate grievances about the lengthy delay of Home Rule and independence, your pretence is an unsupportable sham.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 2:11 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Joker wrote:
Yes they where the British viewed them as subhuman.

Typical hyperbole.

NOPE A HISTORICAL FACT :wink:

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 2:24 pm

There was some talk of expanding slave states or colonies into Mexico and Latin America. At first because they always wanted more slave states to balance the power in DC. It may have just been the kind of imperialistic rhetoric that people engaged in back then.

Brazil was mentioned at least once and in the end thousands of southerners fled to Brazil after the war. Brazil being the last western nation to give up slavery.

Last edited by simon_says on 13 Jun 2012, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 2:27 pm

Jacoby wrote:
I think probably within 20-40 years with mechanization and the realization that slavery is less cost effective than paying your workers a wage and having them support themselves rather than buying them as property that they had to feed, house, stop from escaping, and force to work. I would have to imagine that the morality of the average southerner would evolve to see slavery as wrong eventually as well as it did everywhere else in the world. I think a lot of the prevailing racial problems in the south were influenced in large part by the devastation the south was left in after the Civil War. It's hard to say the death 600,000+ Americans were unavoidable when no other country in the world had to have a war to end slavery.

But the thing is, people pay slaves less than a dollar each a day, keep them in dorms with a coffee can for a toilet. It's very cheap and cost efficient. No way a developed country can compete with that. Slavery still exists in third world countries.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 2:31 pm

Sex Slavery in third world countries has been a huge problem.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 3:19 pm

1875. Slavery wasn't all that popular as revisionists portray with the Confederate generals who stood to be the next generation of politicians. The Confederate government during the civil war were glorified hillbillies that would be hard-pressed to get re-elected over people like Lee and Longstreet.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 6:11 pm

Joker wrote:

Repeating a lie does not make it true.

That applies just as much to you as it does to the conservatives who use that tactic here.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 6:17 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Joker wrote:

That applies just as much to you as it does to the conservatives who use that tactic here.

Not a lie a fact.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 7:09 pm

British were intolerant back then. They definitely treated Hindus with total disdain, comparing them to dogs. They did the same to the Irish. Anyone the British did not like became dogs to them.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 7:23 pm

AngelRho wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
Well, they probably should have been on the side that was righteous from the beginning.

Well, at first we WERE. Baptists in the south, like I said, were trying to win over Anglicans; by attracting the gentry, they also got pro-slavery church leaders.

ArrantPariah wrote:
1995 makes them a bunch of Johnny-come-Latelies. This was long past the beginning of the time when segregationists and pro-slavery folks no longer had a leg to stand on.

Maybe. But you also have to take into account that the segregationists became even more entrenched in white Baptist churches during the Civil Rights era. Two things have to happen for change to become evident. First, you have to get enough church leaders willing to stand on principle rather than bending to political pressure. Second, you have to allow enough time to pass for at least two generations of hateful people to die out of the church. OK, so "hateful" might be a little harsh. My grandparents didn't, strictly speaking, harbor any hatred for black people--but they would say that black people have their place and we have ours. OK...so that's not entirely accurate either...they would have used the n-word instead of "black people." But hopefully you get my point. Once a generation passes where concepts like segregation and miscegenation are completely unheard of, it's easy to come forth as a unified body to denounce former sins. Even back in the 1980s there were still quite a few in SBC churches that remember those tumultuous times all too well. Even worse, they were taught by their parents that that's just how it was and how it should be. Coming forth against their behavior during Civil Rights early on might have been the better thing to do, but it also would have destroyed the unity of the church and made all the good that they DID do meaningless. All things considered, I think coming out in 1995 was taking a big risk for us. But also keep in mind that 1995 was a culmination of many, MANY years of SBC leaders discussing and praying about the matter.

ArrantPariah wrote:
If anyone at the Southern Baptist Convention had argued that the SBC should still stand for segregation or slavery in 1995, then he probably wasn't going to be invited to anyone's house for a fried chicken dinner.

I was a senior in high school back in '95 and was nowhere near the Convention that year. I hadn't planned on attending, but neither did I ever plan on attending LifeWay conferences at Ridgecrest, North Carolina until someone gave me the money to do it. So maybe I'll go one of these days. You're probably right, though. However, you know good and well there were likely some older guys there foaming at the mouth over the issue. Many of those people are too old and too few to matter these days. Give it another 15-20 years and you won't even recognize the place.

So, I gather that the old geezers foaming at the mouth over the issue of Civil Rights have zero chance of getting into Heaven. And, those who supported slavery during their lifetimes are now wishing they hadn't, as Hell can get a tad uncomfortable.

Is the Southern Baptist Convention still exclusively White?

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 7:29 pm

Joker wrote:
visagrunt wrote:
Joker wrote:

Not a lie a fact.

Joker is right. The Irish didn't need whips and chains to be enslaved. For the longest time there was nowhere for them to go to get away from the transplanted British nobles. For about 120 years the US wasn't much better for them. In fact, that's where the term "white n****r" came from. The Irish often could only find the same kinds of jobs as slaves (sometimes working on different parts of the same task) and were considered less valuable to a business than slaves despite not being forced labor, and businesses frequently used Irish for dangerous jobs they didn't want to risk losing the use of a slave over.

-Sigmund Freud

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 7:29 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
Well, they probably should have been on the side that was righteous from the beginning.

Well, at first we WERE. Baptists in the south, like I said, were trying to win over Anglicans; by attracting the gentry, they also got pro-slavery church leaders.

ArrantPariah wrote:
1995 makes them a bunch of Johnny-come-Latelies. This was long past the beginning of the time when segregationists and pro-slavery folks no longer had a leg to stand on.

Maybe. But you also have to take into account that the segregationists became even more entrenched in white Baptist churches during the Civil Rights era. Two things have to happen for change to become evident. First, you have to get enough church leaders willing to stand on principle rather than bending to political pressure. Second, you have to allow enough time to pass for at least two generations of hateful people to die out of the church. OK, so "hateful" might be a little harsh. My grandparents didn't, strictly speaking, harbor any hatred for black people--but they would say that black people have their place and we have ours. OK...so that's not entirely accurate either...they would have used the n-word instead of "black people." But hopefully you get my point. Once a generation passes where concepts like segregation and miscegenation are completely unheard of, it's easy to come forth as a unified body to denounce former sins. Even back in the 1980s there were still quite a few in SBC churches that remember those tumultuous times all too well. Even worse, they were taught by their parents that that's just how it was and how it should be. Coming forth against their behavior during Civil Rights early on might have been the better thing to do, but it also would have destroyed the unity of the church and made all the good that they DID do meaningless. All things considered, I think coming out in 1995 was taking a big risk for us. But also keep in mind that 1995 was a culmination of many, MANY years of SBC leaders discussing and praying about the matter.

ArrantPariah wrote:
If anyone at the Southern Baptist Convention had argued that the SBC should still stand for segregation or slavery in 1995, then he probably wasn't going to be invited to anyone's house for a fried chicken dinner.

I was a senior in high school back in '95 and was nowhere near the Convention that year. I hadn't planned on attending, but neither did I ever plan on attending LifeWay conferences at Ridgecrest, North Carolina until someone gave me the money to do it. So maybe I'll go one of these days. You're probably right, though. However, you know good and well there were likely some older guys there foaming at the mouth over the issue. Many of those people are too old and too few to matter these days. Give it another 15-20 years and you won't even recognize the place.

So, I gather that the old geezers foaming at the mouth over the issue of Civil Rights have zero chance of getting into Heaven. And, those who supported slavery during their lifetimes are now wishing they hadn't, as Hell can get a tad uncomfortable.

Is the Southern Baptist Convention still exclusively White?

NO their are plenty of black people that are Southern Baptists.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 7:35 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:

It's not up to us to declare the fate of people's eternity.

-Sigmund Freud

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 7:37 pm

John_Browning wrote:
Joker wrote:
visagrunt wrote:
Joker wrote:

Not a lie a fact.

Joker is right. The Irish didn't need whips and chains to be enslaved. For the longest time there was nowhere for them to go to get away from the transplanted British nobles. For about 120 years the US wasn't much better for them. In fact, that's where the term "white n****r" came from. The Irish often could only find the same kinds of jobs as slaves (sometimes working on different parts of the same task) and were considered less valuable to a business than slaves despite not being forced labor, and businesses frequently used Irish for dangerous jobs they didn't want to risk losing the use of a slave over.

Finally some one agrees with me on this issue.

Longshanks
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 10:24 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Longshanks wrote:
You've hit the nail on the head but missed one very important motivation: Remember too that Britain wanted very much for the US to re-enter the British Commonwealth. An independent confederacy had the potential of being wooed "back under the crown", or so many British officials felt.

Longshanks

How could Britain have wanted the United States to re-enter that which had never existed? The first use of the term in relation to the British Empire does not appear until 1884. There were not even any self-governing realms at the time--Confederation would not occur in Canada until 1867. And perhaps most importantly there was no theory of state that would have allowed for the presence of the United States within the British Empire as anything other than a subordinate jurisdiction--the personal union of the Crowns of the self-governing realms did not arise until 1926 and was not given legal effect until 1931.

But even allowing for errors of nomenclature, I see no evidence that the British were ever labouring under the misapprehension that there might be a basis for the Confederate States to rejoin the Empire. To the contrary, British policy was far more motivated by a fear that any action that could be interpreted by the Union as aggressive would lead very quickly to the annexation of the remaining British colonies in North America, and a cessation of grain supplies that the United States had been exporting to Britain.

I was trying to be diplomatic, but, okay, you asked for it: The Brits wanted the US to be their colony again. There are some written works that may be of some help to you - but heaven only knows if they are all still published. Lt. Col. Arthur Lyon Fremantle (later Maj. Gen.) wrote a memior (spelling?) of his time as an attache to the Confederacy and wrote in detail about the possbility. Shelby Foote touched on it. Cecil Rhodes wrote numerous works quoting various officials and various plans after the reign of King George III to do so. Newt Gingrich wrote a "what if" novel based on the idea which was based on actual historical documentation. There are other works. But it takes a lot of digging to find them. Finally, you are assuming that the Union could fight a two-front war at that time. Lincoln, in his "One War at a Time" speech stated they could not and that war with Britain must be avoided at all costs.

Longshanks

Supporter of the Brian Terry Foundation @ www.honorbrianterry.com. Special Agent Brian Terry (1970-2010) was murdered as a direct result of Operation Fast & Furious - which Barry O won't discuss - wonder why?

Last edited by Longshanks on 13 Jun 2012, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 10:24 pm

John_Browning wrote:

He is talking about Ireland under British rule, not Irish immigrants

Poor economic openings and discrimination are certainly not good, but that is not slavery. Being a slave in America meant you were regularly beaten for reasons unknown, it meant that you could be separated from your family and what little acquaintances you had because your owner decided it -- on top of discrimination and poor economic openings, of course.

Also, being "less than a dog", in the case of the British, mostly meant that they didn't care too much if they starved by accident. American slave owners tended to beat their slaves by principle.