Page 7 of 9 [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2016, 3:50 pm

AutieUberAlles wrote:
I hope Trump becomes president. No matter who becomes president, the US is screwed. However Trump thinks most Americans are morons and have openly said it before. That makes him at least more honest than Hillary or Johnson.

I disagree. When it comes down to competency and experience in foreign and domestic affairs, Trump can't hold a candle to Clinton. And just because he's more forthright in his contempt for the American people hardly makes him more honest, just more conceitful and arrogant.

AutieUberAlles
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Aug 2016, 2:02 am

Still hoping for him though because the Americans need a real dick before they realize how bad their decisions can be and vote for someone revolutionary.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2016, 2:29 am

but the reaming the 99% will get from this dick may leave us permanently maimed. what he sets in motion may not be reversible.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2016, 3:07 am

auntblabby wrote:
but the reaming the 99% will get from this dick may leave us permanently maimed. what he sets in motion may not be reversible.

That's my fear. And that could mean saying goodbye to the late, great United States of America.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2016, 3:32 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

That's my fear. And that could mean saying goodbye to the late, great United States of America.

and his supporters, left behind to rot along with the rest of us while the 1% retreats to their impregnable disaster shelters, will take out their rage at their betrayal, not on the 1% who screwed them, but on us. that is the way we will go.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2016, 6:35 am

AutieUberAlles may have forgotten that a certain other Austrian was "a real dick".

And fascistic megalomania isn't 'revolutionary'. Or, about as much as bailing out the banks.

AutieUberAlles

15 Aug 2016, 11:27 am

Your argument is invalid due to argumentum ad hitlerum. Plus you have horrible reading comprehension. I said it takes a dick BEFORE someone revolutionary gets elected. Before WWII, Germany was a conservative semi-antisemitic nation, after WWII Germany became one of the most liberal countries in the world. Exceptions are places like Russia or Chile, though Chile still is still better than Russia.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2016, 12:04 pm

It's not invalid at all if there is a chance it would repeat... history is supposed to be learned from, but argumentum ad hitlerum is supposed to do what, force us to forget because nothing so outrageous could possibly ever happen again?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2016, 12:19 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

and his supporters, left behind to rot along with the rest of us while the 1% retreats to their impregnable disaster shelters, will take out their rage at their betrayal, not on the 1% who screwed them, but on us. that is the way we will go.

Trump's supporters are the kind of people who blame their problems on those who have it worse than them, so I have no doubt they'd make us pay for their failure.

AutieUberAlles

15 Aug 2016, 12:30 pm

No, argumentum ad hitlerum is about comparing things to absurdity. Comparing Trump to Hitler is absurd. Comparing Trump to Putin would be more adequate. Hitler was charismatic and was intelligent enough to bypass the law through some loopholes to install a dictatorship. Trump is a jackass and a moron who appeals to people who either are dumb or lack a moral compass (my schadenfreude may put me in the latter group). Trump can't put people in concentration camps, since there are too many things that will keep him from doing that. And most of all, only stupid people take what he says seriously, which goes for both liberals and conservatives (i.e. the opposition, protest voters, the opposition and his voters).

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2016, 1:05 pm

AutieUberAlles wrote:
No, argumentum ad hitlerum is about comparing things to absurdity. Comparing Trump to Hitler is absurd. Comparing Trump to Putin would be more adequate. Hitler was charismatic and was intelligent enough to bypass the law through some loopholes to install a dictatorship. Trump is a jackass and a moron who appeals to people who either are dumb or lack a moral compass (my schadenfreude may put me in the latter group). Trump can't put people in concentration camps, since there are too many things that will keep him from doing that. And most of all, only stupid people take what he says seriously, which goes for both liberals and conservatives (i.e. the opposition, protest voters, the opposition and his voters).

The comparisons between Trump and Hitler are less about those two specific people and more about the nature of their supporters and the tone of the campaign. Yes Trump is a clown but that doesn't mean he isn't dangerous or more importantly that many of his supporters aren't. Now I don't think we've reached the level of Germany in the late 20's and early 30's but that's not to say that there aren't plenty of appropriate comparisons between Germany than and The U.S. now. And don't underestimate the power of stupid in numbers.

By the way aren't we supposed to take The President seriously? Why would we want to put someone in that incredibly powerful position if we can't take they say seriously?

AutieUberAlles

15 Aug 2016, 1:25 pm

And you think Hillary is worth taking seriously? Or rather, you will take him seriously as a president and be scared sh*tless and not have the balls to do anything about it until everything is over. Because the US liberals are just whiny protesters who don't have the balls to actually do anything against authoritarians. Many of them promote a more authoritarian government. Meanwhile the right supposedly supports a smaller government, but they are just as authoritarian socially. The only group I have respect for in the US are reasonable left-wingers who don't cry about firearms ownership (because they are owners themselves) and would take up arms if needed. That time is when a government cracks down on freedom of speech, press and action and incarcerates or kills dissidents.

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2016, 1:46 pm

AutieUberAlles wrote:
And you think Hillary is worth taking seriously? Or rather, you will take him seriously as a president and be scared sh*tless and not have the balls to do anything about it until everything is over. Because the US liberals are just whiny protesters who don't have the balls to actually do anything against authoritarians. Many of them promote a more authoritarian government. Meanwhile the right supposedly supports a smaller government, but they are just as authoritarian socially. The only group I have respect for in the US are reasonable left-wingers who don't cry about firearms ownership (because they are owners themselves) and would take up arms if needed. That time is when a government cracks down on freedom of speech, press and action and incarcerates or kills dissidents.

The idea of taking up arms to fight a tyrannical government is a fantasy. If any revolt happens in the U.S. the people revolting will lose and unless they have the vast majority of public support (which they'll never get) the population will turn against the people taking up arms against the government.

And by the way, yes I do take Hillary seriously. Her resume makes a very good case for it. She has a long and accomplished career as a lawyer and a politician. She also doesn't have a history of making horribly stupid and dangerous remarks. Trump has a history of bankruptcies lawsuits and failed businesses. Not to mention his horrible rhetoric, his misogyny, xenophobia and racism.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2016, 9:44 am

AutieUberAlles, might I remind you that in the civil war those same... what was it, whiny protestors? (That's a whole political group now? Had no idea only a specific group protested everywhere.)

Those same 'liberals' won the war, so guess what, your entire argument crumbles in the face of history... freaky authoritarian megalomaniacs who must have had such awful self-esteem as to actually desire to own others... will forever be beat, because even when it goes wrong like in France's Revolution people almost instinctively target those who somehow think they're immortals, if only to prove that they're not...

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 7:19 pm

Here's a detailed takedown of the media lie that Trump mocked a disabled reporter -- he did not:

http://www.catholics4trump.com/the-true ... isability/

If you took the media at its word, consider yourself extremely gullible.

I'm not much of a Trump fan, but the deliberate, systematic lying about him by the media drive me closer to him every day.

There Are Four Lights!

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 7:42 pm

Darmok wrote:
Here's a detailed takedown of the media lie that Trump mocked a disabled reporter -- he did not:

http://www.catholics4trump.com/the-true ... isability/

If you took the media at its word, consider yourself extremely gullible.

I'm not much of a Trump fan, but the deliberate, systematic lying about him by the media drive me closer to him every day.

Really?

So what is he doing?