Page 3 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

alba
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 11:11 am

The intent is to present the following as opinon/conjecture only.... hopefully for thoughtful consideration/verification.

To avoid becoming foolish, we seek the right questions and avoid the wrong questions. Indulging red herrings is foolishness when there is something larger at stake. Considering "2012" the end of the world-- and engaging in that debate-- is perhaps ridiculous. Unless we broaden the scope of what "the end of the world" could conceivably mean. The Mayans may have been HEIR to a sophisticated and most complex calendar. Even they may not have entirely understood all the intonations inherent in that system of time keeping. But one thing is certain, "2012" was a symbol for them and it is surely a symbol for us.

What is "2012" a symbol of-- if not a symbol for time and a dramatic change in the way time is kept and viewed? And, of course, our cognition of space-time. What space-time means to us in terms of consciousness: (For me) this is the real, albeit generalized, significance of the symbol and metaphor "2012".

While engaging in scant research on "2012", it becomes obvious-- at least upon cursory investigation-- that much disinformation abounds. People question the significance of the event precisely because nearly everyone who isn't asleep at the wheel senses something significant is about to occur, OR is in process of occuring. After little research, it becomes apparent that The Precise Event we are expecting has perhaps already occurred. It also becomes apparent that this event is not really to be pinned down in space-time because the way we view and measure TIME is the very crux of the issue and meaning of The Event.

So what has been foretold and what does it mean?

Virtually everyone owes it to him or herself to ponder this question carefully. [as opposed to lightly dismissing "The Event" as so much stinky rubbish]. Some would contend, as would I, that by far the majority of us alive on planet Earth today are here for this EVENT....i.e., we most likely took embodiment precisely because of the event code-named "2012".

"2012" has become a metaphor for something way beyond the scope of a literal limited discussion of "The End Of The World". But yet, that is what it always devolves into. Since [I believe] most of us are only here to witness the event firsthand, because these are the best seats in the house.....then why don't we at least watch the show????? We've all paid the price for these seats. And needless to say for a great number of us still alive on planet Earth, that price has been quite high.

Firstly, it seems important to understand that "2012" in all its metaphorical glory--is not simply another year, nor is it meant to convey the End Of Days in terms of The End Of The World. Rather it means the end of a limited and linear conceptual time, or explicitly, the beginning of the end of a rather limited way we view and measure time.

THE SYMBOLISM

Mythologically, symbolically and scientifically---"2012" represents the proximity of our solar system with the center of our galaxy The Milky Way---We know what is at the center of our galaxy and as far as I know, the center of all galaxies.

It is a gigantic black hole. It appears that black holes are not only destructive in that what enters them seems to not emerge again intact---but they are also the cosmic wombs of galaxies. In a way you could say a black hole is either like god or IS god. In our Milky Way Galaxy, it is also referred to as the DARK RIFT.

"2012" supposedly refers to a kind of alignment of our sun with the ecliptic of our galaxy and relatively close proximity to the Milky Way's galactic center or core. Which is that humongous black hole.

Symbolically and mythologically for several civilizations past and present, the galactic core represents a gate, portal or birth canal.

The Precession of the Equinoxes

I don't understand this phenomena so therefore can't explain it. However I do know something about cycles and approximately once every 26,000 years (probably slightly less), our solar system appears to have completed a backward cycle in terms of transiting around the galactic core. A good many world civilizations have beliefs that when our solar system is closest to the galactic core, that is when Golden Ages are most likely to occcur. The Age of Aquarius is the latest expected Golden Age, due roughly now or within the next 200 years.

The one unusual thing about the date 2012 is that the winter solstice commences at exactly 11:11 am on 12-21-12. The number 11:11 is also symbolic of a gateway or portal. The metaphor of 2012 is like 2 mirrors held up to each other. Have you ever done that? And peered into their reflection of each other? That reflection looks to be infinite.

Vantage Point: Look toward the constellation Sagittarius and perhaps view our origins??? Well it is one possible take on what this all means.

THE EVENT has perhaps already happened.

Yes and no. If we take The Event that is supposed to occur on 12-21-12 as precisely a single event---which is misunderstanding---then that precise event has possibly already occurred.

As I understand it, and I don't understand it that well-- What 2012 refers to is an alignment of our Sun with the galactic ecliptic and at close proximity with the galactic core, which happens approximately every 26,000 years. The event this time is seeming to synchronistically coincide with a number of other cycles one of which may be several hundred million years.

At any rate, this Alignment, which seems to be what "2012" is all about---takes 36 years from beginning to end. That is because of the size of our sun, which research indicates is about 1/2 degree. Relative to what--I haven't a clue. But this is significant: Our sun began this closest Alignment with the galactic core and/or ecliptic in 1980 and reached the centerpoint of that alignment in 1998 [halfway through the 36 year period].....so "The Event" some are expecting in 2012 already occurred. It occurred in 1998.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 11:54 am

Henriksson wrote:
Quote:

1988-OCT-11: Edgar Whisenaut, a NASA scientist, had published the book "88 Reasons why the Rapture will Occur in 1988." It sold over 4 million copies.

ka-ching!

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 11:57 am

alba wrote:

What is "2012" a symbol of-- if not a symbol for time and a dramatic change in the way time is kept and viewed? And, of course, our cognition of space-time. What space-time means to us in terms of consciousness: (For me) this is the real, albeit generalized, significance of the symbol and metaphor "2012".

It is the consequence of a bad calender. Next question?

ruveyn

alba
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 12:37 pm

I think this is a good explanation of the Dark Rift. It is quoted from a post by "Deja Q" in The 2012 Forum:

"The Dark Rift is a lane of gas and dust we see when we look towards the center of the Milky Way. Because we are IN the Milky Way, we are looking at a spiral galaxy as seen edge-on. You can see this very clearly overhead in the summer (northern hemisphere) and appears as a whispy layer of 'clouds'. It looks like a whispy cloud, even though the sky is cloudless. What you are seeing is the light from hundreds of thousands of stars." When looking in the direction of our Galaxy's center-- you are looking toward the constellation of Sagittarius.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 1:22 pm

who is shook up by it?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 1:22 pm

I think the only other contingency that people keep forgetting is that its not one thing and one one thing only - ie. the Mayan calendar. There's also the eight-spoked wheel and the thirteenth zodiac sign of Opheucus in Nostradamus's writing. The sun being in Opheucus means simply that the earth will on the direct opposite side of the sun to the central black hole of the Milky Way galaxy. When is this? 12.21.2012. I won't pretend that this makes me think anything in particular is going to happen, just that I think this one gets a bit more global surge and even emergence in pop culture and song titles just because it has more concurrance from more angles than many prior apocalyptic messages did.

alba
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 2:51 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
There's also the eight-spoked wheel and the thirteenth zodiac sign of Opheucus in Nostradamus's writing.

Yes. I recently learned of the eight-spoked wheel. What do you know about this? Is it supposed to be 2 crosses that briefly converge, or align together? Do they spin around together like that before once again separating? Is the wheel related to Opheucus....like being the symbol for Opheucus....?

Quote:
The sun being in Opheucus means simply that the earth will on the direct opposite side of the sun to the central black hole of the Milky Way galaxy. When is this? 12.21.2012. I won't pretend that this makes me think anything in particular is going to happen, just that I think this one gets a bit more global surge and even emergence in pop culture and song titles just because it has more concurrance from more angles than many prior apocalyptic messages did.

This is the first I've heard of Opheucus. More details please, if you have them..

If the 8 spoked wheel results due to the brief combining of 2 crosses.....could one cross be representative of the Milky Way Galaxy and the other our Solar System?

A cross represents the convergence of 2 axes or maybe 2 planes. Opheucus means our Sun is positioned between Earth and the central galactic black hole. If there is any radiation or cosmic energy imparted from the black hole, it ostensibly passes through our Sun before reaching Earth?

There is also the matter of polar shift of both Sun and Earth, as well as variation in Schumann resonance (12 --> 7?).

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 3:29 pm

I saw this on either the History Channel or TLC. I think the crosses are effectively axis and nothing more. I think they're composed of rotation plane of the earth, the arms of the milkyway galaxy, two more such celestial lines but I can't remember specifically what.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 3:55 pm

People have been predicting the end of the world since the beginning of time.

y es como un semestre"

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 4:42 pm

or as that guy in the 19th Century had put on his tombstone "The end will come when it comes" (or something to that effect...;)

Any astronomical alingment, configuration, etc., is very likely happened at least once in the last 4.5 billion years...seems the world should have ended the first time around...;)

btw- the Mayans weren't using a Christian calendar, so it would just be coincidence the dates line up. It's probably the 60th squiggle of the feather in the Ocelot year, or something...;)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 5:26 pm

pakled wrote:
Any astronomical alingment, configuration, etc., is very likely happened at least once in the last 4.5 billion years...seems the world should have ended the first time around...;)

Supposedly this alignment happens every 13,000 years. They've tried to link this to the fall of Atlantis and Sumeria. I think what's being proposed by a lot of people who really get into this subject ie. Mayan calendar, Nostradamus, Edgar Cayce predictions, etc. are picturing this more as something that will drastically change the face of the world as we know it rather than the skies being filled with with the deafening trumpets of the angels. They believe in a spiritual linkage to the roll of the constant birth, death, and rebirth of our world in this manner but it may not specifically be in a revelatory kind of sense.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 5:39 pm

While the seasons are made by nature, the calander was human made, so any date that humans come up with for the end of the world is nonsense.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 7:10 pm

monty wrote:
2012 is just another year - no inherent reason why it would be bad. This is just the Mayan version of Y2K ... it's a big, round number (in whatever base arithmetic their calendar is) ... no reason to panic.

Agreed.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 7:36 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hJQ18S6aag[/youtube]

I think this says it all really

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

alba
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 7:40 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I saw this on either the History Channel or TLC. I think the crosses are effectively axis and nothing more. I think they're composed of rotation plane of the earth, the arms of the milkyway galaxy, two more such celestial lines but I can't remember specifically what.

Thanks. This merits further research..

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 4:31 am

I remember how scarey the year 2000 seemed, my aunt actually moved to new mexico and lives with her family in virtual isolation from the world (even today).

Documentation has shown that the people belived an apocolypse would happen in the 1800s as well. Joseph Smith used to preach this in order to further his agenda (a matter of my opinion and open to debate). So when I hear the 2012 rhetoric, all I can think is that people will use symbology to try to predict future events. Seeing how everyone swears we've gone to hell in a handbasket, maybe 2012 is a good prediction for when things will get better. I'm not gonna make an ass out of myself and believe it outright, but there's only one thing that can convince me of the world coming to an end, and that would be the world actually coming to an end or some higher power telling me, until then I'm stuck with intuition.