Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2009, 1:11 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
yah mon
por mon
summon
,etc

Summon is the closest but my ear doesn't swallow it. Mammon might be more acceptable so that when you write your version please feel free to use it.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2009, 1:25 pm

Sand wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:
yah mon
por mon
summon
,etc

Summon is the closest but my ear doesn't swallow it. Mammon might be more acceptable so that when you write your version please feel free to use it.

I kept hearing ^ "one" (^ -) though I know it's not a direct rhyme with common....something along the lines of "as one" or "and one".

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2009, 2:36 pm

Milkweed topic

Cows got into a pot field. Just have a glass with some hash brownies.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Oggleleus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jul 2009, 2:54 pm

Stop bogarting this post. Puff...Puff...Give...You're messin' up the rotation.

frinj
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jul 2009, 5:01 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
frinj wrote:
ChangelingGirl beat me to one of my criticisms of the "gateway drug" argument. Marijuana is a gateway drug because to get marijuana while it is illegal, you have to know a drug dealer. Once you start associating with a drug dealer, other illegal drugs become obtainable. Making marijuana legal would reduce, if not eliminate, the gateway effect.

It is not necessary to ‘know’ a dealer, or anyone how has access to hard drugs.

The fact is not all people who smoke weed do hard drugs. So the gateway theory lacks evidence. It could be more behavioural, as in these people are more like to try things. Full stop.

Just because it is possible to get hard drugs without doing marijuana first, does not undermine the necessarily true fact that those who have access to a seller of illegal drugs will necessarily have an easier time finding harder drugs which, all things being equal, means they will be more likely to try them. If you refuse to even concede the obvious truth that there is a gateway effect, you will not be in a credible position to dispute the gateway logic, and to show that correlation does not equate to causation (i.e., even assuming more people who smoke weed end up doing harder drugs than those who never smoked weed, that does not mean that smoking weed itself causes people to want harder drugs, as opposed to the circumstantial fact, so long as weed is illegal, access to weed means access to drug dealer which generally means more access to other illegal drugs.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2009, 6:13 pm

frinj wrote:
If you refuse to even concede the obvious truth that there is a gateway effect, you will not be in a credible position to dispute the gateway logic, and to show that correlation does not equate to causation

What are you on about? ‘Gateway effect’? Either you are being very vague or contradictory.

My position is simple really. I don't think there is enough evidence to suggest that mj on its own leads to people to hard drugs. That position stands on its own and is tenable, either they provide the evidence or they don't.

The path could be quite different. A kid could start with aerosols and glue, then alcohol, etc.

You misunderstood the rest. I meant you don't need to know a dealer of hard drug to get mj. That was the context I replied to. You can buy some seeds and not have to deal with a dealer at all.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2009, 6:19 pm

skafather84 wrote:
Sand wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:
yah mon
por mon
summon
,etc

I kept hearing ^ "one" (^ -) though I know it's not a direct rhyme with common....something along the lines of "as one" or "and one".

I wrote some poems for the school literary mag when I was a kid. Blood and sweat, I tell you. Rhyme isn't everything. You can introduce an offbeat, and pick it up next line. That is what rappers do.

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2009, 9:41 pm

First I would like to start off by saying I'm against pot and all drugs including prescription medications.

BUT. For arguments sake lets look into why pot was made illegal.

There are plenty of harmful drugs in our food and water . Drugs that harm and do damage . this is an example. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELgW4KBY-o4

Pot is not illegal because it does any damage or is a gate-way drug. It is illegal because it was a substance that was far too useful.

Pot or the hemp plant was used for more then smoking. It was used for cloths permanent paper and many other things. It was used in many things and lasted so long that demand for these products decreased.

They could not take it off the market for this reason so they bad mouth the smoked version and made it illegal.

cognito
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 3:12 pm

check your history books, Pot was banned when Nixon, a conservative, was in office and crafted a bill that did away with the old method, heavy taxation, and instead outright banned it. According to the DEA, Pot, a schedule one narcotic, has less medical benefits and is more addictive and dangerous then PCP, cocaine and heroin. Yet, no one has ever toked a joint and then went on a rampage in a pot fueled rage. No one has smoked a joint and cut off their own face. PCP has. YET our lovely goverment says PCP is much better then pot. :roll:

Hector
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 3:35 pm

There is a distinction between recreational drugs and food and medication that happens to contain trace levels of substances that would be in recreational drugs. Drugs which aren't recreational don't have to be particularly safe. Paracetamol is more dangerous than MDMA but its own non-recreational virtues keep it on the shelves. The lines between the recreational and non-recreational become blurred when the levels of codeine or morphine or whatever are enough that people would actually use it recreationally, but I don't think anyone would take my paracetamol+codeine medication as it is for recreational use. In order to get high off the codeine you'd need to take enough paracetamol to kill you or at least do a lot of damage. Similarly for milk, even if I were to believe there are trace levels of codeine; I imagine you'd sooner get sick from drinking too much of it.

The above is a partial explanation of how things are, not how I feel things should be. I'm not quite sure what my stance on legalisation of recreational drugs is. Certainly, though, I don't buy the "gateway drug" argument.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 8:30 pm

as a matter of personal experience: I've never experienced DT's from marijuana. I have, however, experienced DT's from tobacco (drastic mood swings, severe increase in irritability). I know friends who've had drinking problems and have gone through DT's for alcohol.

No one has ever had a detoxing experience from marijuana that I can recount.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

monty
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 8:42 pm

frinj wrote:
Just because it is possible to get hard drugs without doing marijuana first, does not undermine the necessarily true fact that those who have access to a seller of illegal drugs will necessarily have an easier time finding harder drugs which, all things being equal, means they will be more likely to try them.

By that logic, decriminalizing marijuana would do a great deal to reduce the number of people using heroin.

frinj wrote:
If you refuse to even concede the obvious truth that there is a gateway effect, ...

It is not an obvious truth - it is a behavioral theory, and a controversial one. We could just as well point out that many people that use marijuana start with the 'gateway' drugs of alcohol and/or tobacco. Even though it is obviously true that many people start down a path of drug abuse using alcohol and tobacco, it requires more evidence to get acceptance of a gateway theory.

There are other behavioral theories that make just as much sense - for example, people that seek risk or want to rebel will turn to whatever is seen as risky or rebellious. To the degree that is true, prohibition of drugs might encourage some people to turn to those drugs that would not do so otherwise - they might take up skydiving or eating trans-fats if that would give them psychosocial status according to how they see the world.

Quote:
If you refuse to even concede the obvious truth that there is a gateway effect, you will not be in a credible position to dispute the gateway logic, and to show that correlation does not equate to causation.

You seem to be saying if we don't agree with the gateway theory, we can't argue against it! That doesn't make sense to me. Anyone can point out that correlation is not the same as causation, regardless of what they think about the gateway theory.

PhilipWHolland
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Aug 2009, 7:08 pm

IMHO, marijuana is one of the most effective and safest methods to manage the anxiety and social timidity that comes with AS. I prefer a tincture form (leave some buds in some vodka or everclear, just a dropper will do) but smoking is definitely the most fun, and opens the doors socially, so to speak. (Note I currently am not using, for a variety of reasons, but all of them are related to the negative views of employers, governments, parents, and squares.)

I would present the argument (unsubstantiated, so don't start yelling at me) that most of the drugs commonly prescribed to suppress the negative manifestations of ASDs would be more appropriately considered 'gateway drugs.' Take the amphetamines, Risperdol, neuroleptics, sedatives, antipsychotics, etc etc. Each have significant side effects including but not limited to neurochemical imbalances, suicidal thoughts, pissing your pants, long term abuse, dulling of the personality, and general geeking out (in the meth way.) I know in my experience that the prescription of illicit substances has done more to negatively effect the lives of my peers, namely abuse of and transactions concerning stimulant medication as well as opiates. Danger abounds.

Where do we draw the line between an herbal supplement and an illicit substance, legitimate pharmacopoeia and controlled substance? It's definitely not the 'medical viability,' extremity of side effects, effectiveness, nor tendency to become habit forming. Frankly, I'm chronically (no pun intended, chronic hehe) pissed that this simple and powerfully beneficial herb is under such unwarranted scrutiny and criticism.

I don't believe that it should be prescribed, however, because anyone that has become familiar with marijuana as a substance knows that it would just be stupid. It's the safest, most easily titrated drug I've ever come into contact with. OVERGROW is the answer. Throw your seeds in public soils, let it become rampant. I know this is widely talked about, but it doesn't seem to be catching on.

BTW, in this case, I would rhyme common with bombin'.

As in, 'This weed is BOMBIN.'

"...you don't think an aspie board would be very authentic without some argumentative pontificating, I defend argumentative pontificating because I myself am prone to such. Although, I am only trying to be factual and help

flipflopjenkins
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Aug 2009, 4:30 pm

Dunno why, but this thread reminds me of an outtake from Spinal Tap where an interviewer asks the band if they take drugs, and one of them says "Well, water’s a drug. In fact, it’s the strongest drug because it wakes you up when you splash it on your face.”

Mindovermatter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Aug 2009, 7:14 pm

Henriksson wrote:
http://www.dosenation.com/listing.php?id=6308

If we accept the argument that marijuana works as a gateway drug as valid reason to outlaw it, why shouldn't milk be outlawed? It is, after all, a drug, and could work as a gateway drug if marijuana works as a gateway drug too.

Also, why are drugs that actually kill, like alcohol and smoking, legal? Those pose a much more serious threat to society than marijuana.

Thoughts?

Marijuana is illegal because it causes people to be lazy and stupid. Milk does not do this. how about you all stop regurgitating washed up arguments.