Page 8 of 11 [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Should milk be outlawed?
Yes 36%  36%  [ 13 ]
No 64%  64%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 36

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2009, 8:32 pm

ruveyn wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Allowing ban on substances might allow our society to be "healthier" in a physical sense but it would make for new black markets and opportunities for organized crime [as illustrated by the current war on drugs and the previous war on alcohol] and it makes for more poverty in the community [these items aren't taxable because they aren't legally sold so therefore community projects suffer funding shortages and also it expands cost on the product by falsely inflating cost as the risk of selling the product goes up] and it makes society, in fact, less healthy for those who still consume the products by way of less regulations available to ensure that the products are safe and contain only the products they claim they contain [though cigarettes have fallen a victim to neglect on this front, I would speculate that the nature of disgust and want of prohibition of the product more effects how poorly the product is maintained than a failure only on a part of the FDA].

Bingo! Prohibition never, ever, ever works. Not once. Not ever. It not only does not solve "the problem" but it corrupts the legal system.

ruveyn

well, not true... Many things are banned in other countries that are not banned here. It depends on how you define "works". Japan has probably a tenth or less of the crime rate of the US and they have stricter drug and alcohol laws. There are more factors involved than just "is or is not allowed".

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2009, 8:36 pm

Sand wrote:
Stinkypuppy wrote:
Shiggily wrote:
the basic gist is that in order to function, society must balance the needs/wants of the whole and the individual... period.

Absolute truth. So often, what is healthy for the group is not healthy for the individual, and what's healthy for the individual is not healthy for the group. This is why there is a need for the careful balancing act. Everything else is just details/arguments/squabbling over how to balance the group vs. the individual.

What are the parameters for determining this balance?

negotiation leads to altering parameters. Morality differs between people. There is no real set way. No matter what you choose, someone will feel that their "rights" are being infringed upon. Particularly if that person also thinks that their wants are their needs. Democracy states that majority decides. Unfortunately they did not side with you.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2009, 9:18 pm

Shiggily wrote:
do you argue that pesticide qualifies as a food?

You should check what's allowed by the FDA sometime....

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2009, 9:37 pm

Shiggily wrote:
Sand wrote:
Stinkypuppy wrote:
Shiggily wrote:
the basic gist is that in order to function, society must balance the needs/wants of the whole and the individual... period.

Absolute truth. So often, what is healthy for the group is not healthy for the individual, and what's healthy for the individual is not healthy for the group. This is why there is a need for the careful balancing act. Everything else is just details/arguments/squabbling over how to balance the group vs. the individual.

negotiation leads to altering parameters. Morality differs between people. There is no real set way. No matter what you choose, someone will feel that their "rights" are being infringed upon. Particularly if that person also thinks that their wants are their needs. Democracy states that majority decides. Unfortunately they did not side with you.

Since when has the policy of the FDA been decided by popular vote?

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2009, 12:27 am

skafather84 wrote:
Shiggily wrote:
do you argue that pesticide qualifies as a food?

You should check what's allowed by the FDA sometime....

touche.

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2009, 12:49 am

Sand wrote:
Shiggily wrote:
Sand wrote:
Stinkypuppy wrote:
Shiggily wrote:

Much in the same way that the Supreme Court appointments are decided. It is run by the US Department of Health and Human Services, appointed by the president, confirmed by the Senate.

However, the particular area you are discussing is primarily handled by the DEA and not the FDA. The DEA is handled by US. Department of Justice, and those policies are decided by Congress (the appointments are decided by the President and confirmed by Congress). Individual states decide on alteration to drug policy. Many representatives are elected based on their drug policy platform.

http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/pubs/abuse/1-csa.htm

per curiosity (if you have it)

Proceedings to add, delete, or change the schedule of a drug or other substance may be initiated by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), or by petition from any interested person: the manufacturer of a drug, a medical society or association, a pharmacy association, a public interest group concerned with drug abuse, a state or local government agency, or an individual citizen. When a petition is received by the DEA, the agency begins its own investigation of the drug.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2009, 1:12 am

Shiggily wrote:
Sand wrote:
Shiggily wrote:
Sand wrote:
Stinkypuppy wrote:
Shiggily wrote:

Much in the same way that the Supreme Court appointments are decided. It is run by the US Department of Health and Human Services, appointed by the president, confirmed by the Senate.

However, the particular area you are discussing is primarily handled by the DEA and not the FDA. The DEA is handled by US. Department of Justice, and those policies are decided by Congress (the appointments are decided by the President and confirmed by Congress). Individual states decide on alteration to drug policy. Many representatives are elected based on their drug policy platform.

http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/pubs/abuse/1-csa.htm

per curiosity (if you have it)

Proceedings to add, delete, or change the schedule of a drug or other substance may be initiated by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), or by petition from any interested person: the manufacturer of a drug, a medical society or association, a pharmacy association, a public interest group concerned with drug abuse, a state or local government agency, or an individual citizen. When a petition is received by the DEA, the agency begins its own investigation of the drug.

And therefore you claim marijuana is made illegal by popular vote? Hmmmm.

See http://www.pr.com/press-release/114496

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2009, 1:52 am

Sand wrote:

And therefore you claim marijuana is made illegal by popular vote? Hmmmm.

Congressmen, Senators, and the President are all elected by majority vote. (ok, President needs 29% of the majority vote, but that still doesn't count out the other 2). Depending on what poll in what State you look at... between 0-100% of people favor marijuana legalization. You have to love polls.

In case you are curious as to popular opinion. Here is a site that lists multiple polls.

http://www.pollingreport.com/drugs.htm

The downside of popular opinion is that the people most vocal about legalization of marijuana are also the least likely to vote. and those in favor of leaving marijuana illegal are those most likely to vote.

which in this case would be a double majority. Majority of opinion, and voting majority.

Even California (which has the most lax marijuana laws) may see a change in regulation because of the problems they are facing in legalizing medical marijuana without consideration. They have large scale drug traffickers armed with weapons posing as caregivers with falsified medical claims now funneling money into lobbyists who buy off candidates. Farm land is being bought up by companies to grow "medical" marijuana in an economy that struggles to maintain the same land for food. You can't just wave a wand, legalize marijuana, and assume that it will solve all your problems.

Look what happened with cigarettes. Tobacco was advertised as safe, medically good for you, and completely harmless. It wasn't until years later that people started dropping dead from the long term side effects that we noticed it is dangerous and now we can't get rid of it because we are fighting lobbyists, companies, false ads, dubious campaigns, representatives bought under the table and that the vast majority of the population is addicted to smoking and refuses to give it up and has health problems that we have to pay for.

So you advertise marijuana as safe, medically good for you and completely harmless. What happens if years later you find out that it is not and you can't get people to give it up? Do you think that once you toss in billions of dollars and high powered companies that you can just change things back if you need to?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2009, 2:09 am

I don't advertise anything. Why not stop lying?

You claimed society should approve outlawing marijuana. I indicated a survey that indicates otherwise and you claim the survey is invalid. Prove it.

You also advocate outlawing liquor and tobacco. Outlawing liquor was tried and failed miserably. What are you trying to prove?

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2009, 2:11 am

Sand wrote:

I am not sure I trust a marijuana poll written by a real estate agent who owns companies of less than 10 employees and whose only information comes from his own press releases.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2009, 2:15 am

Shiggily wrote:
Sand wrote:

I am not sure I trust a marijuana poll written by a real estate agent who owns companies of less than 10 employees and whose only information comes from his own press releases.

I see. Real estate agents are inherently dishonest and must have 10 employees before they can be trusted. That's an interesting idea.

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2009, 2:17 am

Sand wrote:

You claimed society should approve outlawing marijuana. I indicated a survey that indicates otherwise and you claim the survey is invalid. Prove it.

You also advocate outlawing liquor and tobacco. Outlawing liquor was tried and failed miserably. What are you trying to prove?

I don't advocate outlawing liquor or tobacco. I am saying I don't mind if it was made illegal. I gave you 10 surveys from accurate sources to your one. I am trying to prove nothing, other than this conversation will continue ad infinitum while you quote surveys by Bob's cousin down the street who can't/won't provide his sources or sample information. Not because the marijuana matters, but because the being right and getting what you want matters.

and the "you" in the sentence in a general you, not a specific you. I could replace it with society if it makes you feel better about yourself.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2009, 2:20 am

Shiggily wrote:
Sand wrote:

I don't advocate outlawing liquor or tobacco. I am saying I don't mind if it was made illegal. I gave you 10 surveys from accurate sources to your one. I am trying to prove nothing, other than this conversation will continue ad infinitum while you quote surveys by Bob's cousin down the street who can't/won't provide his sources or sample information. Not because the marijuana matters, but because the being right and getting what you want matters.

and the "you" in the sentence in a general you, not a specific you. I could replace it with society if it makes you feel better about yourself.

I see. Is Bob's cousin a real estate agent? That might be a problem.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2009, 2:44 am

Shiggily wrote:

Does that make sense?

Yes. Stated in most general terms you want government to deter and punish such activities as theft, fraud and extortion. By the way these activities are more often committed by governments than by private business organizations, firms or private associations of individuals. Why? Because the government has the heavy weapons. In the twentieth century the body count attributable to governments was somewhere between two hundred and three hundred million.

ruveyn

Shiggily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2009, 2:48 am

Sand wrote:
Shiggily wrote:
Sand wrote:

I see. Is Bob's cousin a real estate agent? That might be a problem.

depends. Did Bob's cousin report the "Worst Real Estate Crisis Since Great Depression" despite the fact that Housing data only goes back to 1968 and Census data before 1960 skips to once every 10 years. Which amounts to statistics depending only on the memories of people selling houses in the 1930s? (who also visit the survey website, which is less than 15,000 a month for the real estate site and less than 100 for the survey site that you indicated).

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/40020

http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/ ... cline.html

So out of less than 100 people. 83% think that marijuana should be legalized. ........ and that is the majority of the US?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2009, 2:51 am

skafather84 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Milk is a food and marijuana is not.

ruveyn

but it can be!

So can s**t. Marijuana is not raised primarily as a food source. Milk on the other hand is nature's very own food for young mammals. Humans have learned to tolerate milk and dairy products (particularly cheese) as food for non-infants.

ruveyn