Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 3:45 am

There’s an awful lot of uneasiness and distress at this site by people who find the standards of their social situation at odds with their personal preferences and capabilities. Autistic individuals and people like myself who are merely tinted with the character of Asperger’s Syndrome only to the degree that they are rather unsocial and directed to interests and pleasures not of the majority of their society frequently voice anger and unhappiness over their inability to conform.

My personal dynamics are oriented towards taking advantage of the slim bit of time bestowed on a normal human life span wherein almost any environment is bursting with fascinating facts and mysteries and challenges. The basic facts of my existence demand some devotion to the essentials of nourishment and habitation with a bow to finance as a means, not an end. I have no acquaintances (outside of this site) or friends who might be placed in the AS category and I get along fine on that basis. It just limits my ability to discuss the things that most interest me with people around me. But I find they have other more mundane topics that can facilitate interpersonal relations and I have to let it go at that. I relate to dogs, cats, birds, on the same basis and it works out.

But I am not distressed that other people should live up to my standards. Mine are very individual and the deep devotion others have to sports, lousy films, popular music, inconsistent religious beliefs, various styles of food, mass gatherings, etc. I merely avoid without personal distress and I get along fine.

The general beliefs of most religions structured out of mutual beneficial relationships may have fantasy bases but are in general quite acceptable to me but I find no necessity to swallow the obviously silly conjectures packaged along with the reasonable social directives.

The point of this comment is that it seems to me there is no necessity to conform to general standards that conflict with personal convictions. The personal distress displayed is unnecessary and could easily be dismissed.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 4:34 am

[quote="Sand"]

The point of this comment is that it seems to me there is no necessity to conform to general standards that conflict with personal convictions. The personal distress displayed is unnecessary and could easily be dismissed.[/quote

Unfortunately there are quite a few on the spectrum (myself included) that do in fact wish to be gregarious, trouble is we are not fully equipped to achieve a high level of success. In direct opposition to my gregarious aspirations I have difficulty maintaining more than a few friends at any one time.

So the upshot of this for me is an amount of isolation due to a lack of friends and this is not something I particularly enjoy

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 4:39 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
Sand wrote:

The point of this comment is that it seems to me there is no necessity to conform to general standards that conflict with personal convictions. The personal distress displayed is unnecessary and could easily be dismissed.[/quote

Unfortunately there are quite a few on the spectrum (myself included) that do in fact wish to be gregarious, trouble is we are not fully equipped to achieve a high level of success. In direct opposition to my gregarious aspirations I have difficulty maintaining more than a few friends at any one time.

So the upshot of this for me is an amount of isolation due to a lack of friends and this is not something I particularly enjoy

As a kid it did disturb me but as I grew older it was less and less a factor. At my now extended age where social associations for sexual encounters and in seeking professional advance have dropped to a very low minimum I can perhaps feel comfortable in my isolation and younger people would no doubt find this existence daunting.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 5:21 am

I've been lucky enough to actually have and draw friends who are social butterflies, definitely more on the intelligent and reflective side of that schema but social butterflies nonetheless. That much has at least blessed me with, when I was 20, having ten or fifteen people hanging out over my place most days of the week during the summer or, for the past four or five years almost every weekend going downtown to the club district, knowing the right people, going to house parties on a regular basis and being in the right crowd - believe it or not I still have huge social hindrances mainly that yes, there are certain types of people who will see me superficially and not want anything to do with me but beyond the fact that I have no expectation for all or even most people to like me anymore it also occurs to me....don't most people, regardless of social skills, end up in that spot? My problem with communication these days is largely that I can even try to dumb it down to third or fourth grade vocabulary and no matter what, there's always someone complaining that they can't understand a word coming out of my mouth - it only gets scary if that happens to be employers or clients where yes, it could be a matter of going concern with employment.

I think for the most part you'll likely see most of the people here dealing with the most angst in their teens and especially the first half of their 20's. The problem with early 20's - anything is possible, for people who think like I did their AS symptoms (for those with at least more internal social gearing) are exactly what other people around them have always accused it of being - pure laziness, weakness, ie. when your that age you can conceptualize the idea that you may not have a disability at all and maybe you just have no idea what *real* trying is. A lot of times its the perfectionism and self-induced beatings that one puts themselves through at that age in their race for perfection, largely to have their needs for external respect as their own respect gratified to the fullest extent available. Some angles, through just pounding on yourself till you throw up over a social faux pa made earlier, do get better - many don't and particular when anxiety starts becoming the biggest killer and cause of external appearances of weakness or, better said - when anxiety becomes your biggest ongoing social faux pa, that's where you usually learn that you have to reconcile the difference between what you can help and what you can't much more seriously.

While I can argue that many people aren't quite *that* hard on themselves (I wish I would have had other emotional alternatives or other routes - unfortunately I didn't) its still there to a greater or lesser extent. If your talking to late teens or early-mid 20 somethings you'll see a lot of fire, a lot of urgency, its mainly because they're struggling to assert themselves to themselves and to other people, at an age where admitting that something can't be helped - to ones self even - is the absolute of what's 'not ok'. I think that's when natural law propulsion and life or death urgency of self-actualization is at its strongest. I could be wrong, but being the age balloon that's phasing through just by diagnosis it even seems like the general age bubble of diagnoses, as it widens out past teens and 20's, much less social Darwinism among members regardless of the variety of ideologies put out there.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 7:36 am

Sand wrote:

The point of this comment is that it seems to me there is no necessity to conform to general standards that conflict with personal convictions. The personal distress displayed is unnecessary and could easily be dismissed.

I agree. I don't expect much of other people (not family). The only thing I do expect is that they will keep their hands off of me and mine.

Having low expectations means one is very rarely disappointed.

ruveyn

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 11:24 am

You're also as rarely surprised though, which can make one rather cynical over time.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 1:16 pm

phil777 wrote:
You're also as rarely surprised though, which can make one rather cynical over time.

By expecting little, one is more likely to be surprised.

ruveyn

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 5:25 pm

Sand wrote:
As a kid it did disturb me but as I grew older it was less and less a factor. At my now extended age where social associations for sexual encounters and in seeking professional advance have dropped to a very low minimum I can perhaps feel comfortable in my isolation and younger people would no doubt find this existence daunting.
I can only hope this change is something that simply comes with age. I think this is the main reason I have always liked older people. It seems most people reach a certain point in their life where they feel free to simply be who they are, say exactly what they think, and not give a crap about what other people think of who they are or what they think. Sadly, my own struggle for conformity does not appear to have an end any time in the near future.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 7:48 pm

claire333 wrote:
Sadly, my own struggle for conformity does not appear to have an end any time in the near future.

Why please anyone but yourself? What do you owe (of a positive nature) to others? Has anyone done you any favors lately? If not, what do you owe them?

ruveyn

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 8:08 pm

Edit: sorry just asking silly questions which I already know the answer.