Which of these two areas has more extreme racism?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2009, 6:14 pm

The question is, does the southeastern part of the United States have more extreme racism than England?

In the "South" as it may be called, the form of racism is primarily based on the concentration of melanin in one's skin, particularly, whether a person has white skin or not. However, in England as I understand it, racism is not limited to the color, or colour, of one's skin, but to their country of origin and ancestry as well. For Italians, they are sometimes called "dagos" or "whops", for the French, they are called "frogs", for the Irish, they are called "Patties", and these are just the terms I know of. For the "South", as far as I know, there is only the N-word, but for the English, there are many more derogatory terms for many more peoples.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2009, 6:30 pm

England has so many terms because there is so much immigration to that country that indegenious people in England (or whites) feel that their culture, heritage and homeland is being threatened. Plus the White British population have low birth rates that can't sustain itself and some immigrants have higher birth rates.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2009, 6:34 pm

jc6chan wrote:
England has so many terms because there is so much immigration to that country that indegenious people in England (or whites) feel that their culture, heritage and homeland is being threatened. Plus the White British population have low birth rates that can't sustain itself and some immigrants have higher birth rates.

I have no idea what the terms for non-white persons are in England today, but the French, Italian, and Irish are all white also.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2009, 11:29 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
jc6chan wrote:

I have no idea what the terms for non-white persons are in England today, but the French, Italian, and Irish are all white also.

The terms for non-white persons are the same everywhere.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2009, 12:09 am

Really? I don't think even racism can supersede necessary language differences.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2009, 2:35 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Not for long. France is already 25% Muslim immigrants.

By 2050 there will not be a "white" country left on earth.

This is not to say I am a "racist". I admire Japanese people.

I also admire that the Japanese are smart enough not to let anyone else in.

In 2050 Japan will still be 99.9% Japanese. China will still be 99.9% Chinese etc.

The European Union thinks that Europe will somehow be "improved" by importing another 20 to 50 million uneducated Africans.

I am more a "culturist" than a "racist"

I don't think that (say) Ireland would be "improved" by a million Greeks moving there and I don't see that Greece would be improved by importing a million Irishmen.

Allow each country its own unique culture.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2009, 2:50 am

Actually the most racist part of the U.S. is the Idaho Panhandle and northwestern Montana.

As far as racism goes in Texas, only two towns stand out: Jasper (where the James Byrd murder occurred), and Vidor (a KKK stronghold in the Beaumont-Port Arthur area). In general, Texas isn't a very racist state.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

TitusLucretiusCarus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2009, 3:34 am

i think you mean 'paddie' for an Irishman, not 'pattie', often in the phrase 'paddie b**tard'.

Correct me if i'm wrong but I believe the figure quoted by Wombat may be highly misleading, the people arriving in mainland France or already residing there often originate in current or former departements outre mer (including arriving pre-independence in the case of algeria etc) which would have either made them french citizens at the time or making mainland France responsible for keeping such a crappy state of affairs in the ocuntry of origin (colonies tending to receive brutal treatment from the colonisers) and having at least some right to demand a return on the labour and lives stolen by the colonising power.

I also find it funny that Wombat will refute allegations of his being racist with the defence that he admires the Japanese for their racial purity.

I'd relate the appropriate terms in vogue amongst white racists today but I'm not sure it would be within the rules of WP

also I'm not sure one can really quantify racism to compare it beyond incidents per head of population which tells us nothing particularly about the severity of each 'incident' and nothing regarding the actual experience of the target of racist individuals.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2009, 6:56 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
The question is, does the southeastern part of the United States have more extreme racism than England?

Visit Boston Ma. sometime.

ruveyn

WhiskeyInTheJar
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Nov 2009, 10:11 am

I have heard the Southeast is rather racist: black neighbourhoods where you re not safe as a white guy.

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2009, 10:13 am

jc6chan wrote:
England has so many terms because there is so much immigration to that country that indegenious people in England (or whites) feel that their culture, heritage and homeland is being threatened...

It's been normal across most of Britain for a long time to have names for people who come from a certain country, region or even area within a city. For example, a person from Somerset might refer to someone from Liverpool as a Scouser, a Welshman as a Taff, or a Pakistani as a Paki. This is normal vernacular in working-class areas of the west of England, with other parts of the country having their own terms. These terms aren't racist. Anybody who's worked in a male-dominated manual industry (none of the middle-class extreme leftists like TitusLucretiusCarus) will tell you how they were, and in some places still are, used as part of everyday banter.

Unfortunately, the political elite now insist on everyone conforming to their bland politically-correct adulteration of the English language. We aren't even allowed to acknowledge most of the time when someone is most definately not British, in other words, a foreigner. However, as is the case with most far-left policy, this situation is riddled with double-standards and hypocrisy. A gentleman from, say, Taunton (an area, and thus regional accent, associated with agriculture), may visit Scotland and be asked where he's parked his tractor. This will occur without incident. But to ask someone dressed in the strange garb of the Muslim faith where he's tied-up his camel would see you almost certainly arrested, and likely imprisoned. This is the sorry state to which our once great nation has sunk. We are now second-class citizens to a bunch of foreigners.

TitusLucretiusCarus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2009, 10:41 am

Quote:
It's been normal across most of Britain for a long time to have names for people who come from a certain country, region or even area within a city. For example, a person from Somerset might refer to someone from Liverpool as a Scouser, a Welshman as a Taff, or a Pakistani as a Paki. This is normal vernacular in working-class areas of the west of England, with other parts of the country having their own terms. These terms aren't racist.

I'm yet to meet a welshman or a pakistani who fails to take offense at either of those terms. Those terms are racist, as are you.

Quote:
Anybody who's worked in a male-dominated manual industry (none of the middle-class extreme leftists like TitusLucretiusCarus) will tell you how they were, and in some places still are, used as part of everyday banter.

err, no. now let's see. between birth and the age of two my father was the only wage earner in the household (a two bedroom, end of row terrace in the north of England) as an electrician on one of HM's submarines. From the age of two to five my father then changed to working as a postman, same house, sole wage earner. Parents split, had moved to a three bed terrace, family subsisting on benefits upto the age of twelve. at this point my mother was the sole wage earner initially on 11,500 in a call center, then 13,000 as a filing clerk. You have a bizarre conception of who constitutes middle-class. 'Everday banter' means the casual racism of many of the working class which has done not a thing to advance our interests as a class and, if anything, has diverted many of the working class from any kind of positive and constructive program - even within the limits of the capitalist system. Seriously if you intend to take me on on this issue you need to up your game big time.

Quote:
Unfortunately, the political elite now insist on everyone conforming to their bland politically-correct adulteration of the English language. We aren't even allowed to acknowledge most of the time when someone is most definately not British, in other words, a foreigner. However, as is the case with most far-left policy, this situation is riddled with double-standards and hypocrisy. A gentleman from, say, Taunton (an area, and thus regional accent, associated with agriculture), may visit Scotland and be asked where he's parked his tractor. This will occur without incident. But to ask someone dressed in the strange garb of the Muslim faith where he's tied-up his camel would see you almost certainly arrested, and likely imprisoned. This is the sorry state to which our once great nation has sunk. We are now second-class citizens to a bunch of foreigners.

I think the legislation brought in by the liberals (from within the labour party) is absolutely inadequate - again, i've already made my opinion on liberal multiculturalism clear. I also think the opinions you express are an embarassment both to yourself and the class you purport yourself to represent. Racist abuse and abuse based on prejudiced ideas inferred from an indivduals accent are not equivalent in the least, at all (I can modualte my accent, but not my skin colour). However, they are both the actions of the ignorant and the witless.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2009, 11:36 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Actually the most racist part of the U.S. is the Idaho Panhandle and northwestern Montana.

As far as racism goes in Texas, only two towns stand out: Jasper (where the James Byrd murder occurred), and Vidor (a KKK stronghold in the Beaumont-Port Arthur area). In general, Texas isn't a very racist state.

I know that Texas is basically a non-racist area. I grew up in Dallas for my childhood and Denton for my youth. More racism in Minnesota where I live now.

WhiskeyInTheJar
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Nov 2009, 11:55 am

Parakeet, my dear fellow, your a scientific guy, but not very streetwise i think.
Science is your strength! Go for that!

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2009, 2:10 pm

TitusLucretiusCarus wrote:
I'm yet to meet a welshman or a pakistani who fails to take offense at either of those terms. Those terms are racist, as are you.

On that basis the majority of the country is racist. Anyway, I've seen plenty of Welsh called Taff, and Liverpudlians called Scouse without taking offence. Same with blacks, I've seen them called all sorts, and then give back as good as they got -- no need to run off to Gordon's Gestapo screaming "hate crime!" I've been all over the UK and been called many things myself because of my regional accent. People who take offence just need to develop a thick skin and realise it's not something the state should legislate on.

err, no. now let's see. between birth and the age of two my father was the only wage earner in the household (a two bedroom, end of row terrace in the north of England) as an electrician on one of HM's submarines. From the age of two to five my father then changed to working as a postman, same house, sole wage earner. Parents split, had moved to a three bed terrace, family subsisting on benefits upto the age of twelve. at this point my mother was the sole wage earner initially on 11,500 in a call center, then 13,000 as a filing clerk.

Well, I can't be right all the time -- most of the time will do. I have wondered where your extreme leftists opinions originate. Often, a middle class (in the traditional sense) upbringing by parents with an arts or humanities degree is to blame. Based on the additional information offered, I would venture to give further opinion, but I'm conscious I may offend unnecessarily, and so will desist.

...I also think the opinions you express are an embarassment both to yourself and the class you purport yourself to represent. Racist abuse and abuse based on prejudiced ideas inferred from an indivduals accent are not equivalent in the least, at all (I can modualte my accent, but not my skin colour). However, they are both the actions of the ignorant and the witless.

There's an accusation! I don't represent any class. I have merely reported my observations and conclusions after having experienced time with these people. Clearly like many leftists, you have a sense of humour failure around certain subjects. I guess you won't be happy until we're all wearing Mao suits and address each other as comrade. In the meantime the rest of us, out of earshot of agents of the state, will continue enjoying politically-incorrect humour and banter ("abuse" as you put it) based on racial, national, and regional stereotype, just as the English have done for centuries.

TitusLucretiusCarus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2009, 3:45 pm

Quote:
On that basis the majority of the country is racist.

it is. not a controversial conclusion to draw whatsoever.

Quote:
Anyway, I've seen plenty of Welsh called Taff, and Liverpudlians called Scouse without taking offence. Same with blacks, I've seen them called all sorts, and then give back as good as they got -- no need to run off to Gordon's Gestapo screaming "hate crime!" I've been all over the UK and been called many things myself because of my regional accent. People who take offence just need to develop a thick skin and realise it's not something the state should legislate on.

two points a) you've clearly never been acquainted with the effect racism has on both individuals and groups thereof. b) if you'll allow me to quote myself "Racist abuse and abuse based on prejudiced ideas inferred from an indivduals accent are not equivalent in the least, at all (I can modualte my accent, but not my skin colour). However, they are both the actions of the ignorant and the witless." Jokes and 'banter' aren't funny because they are inherently witty (the laughter is to indicate at least that you don't challenge the implied opinion, if not to evidence your agreement - i've spent time trying to observe human interaction to try and learn it for myself and there are cxertainly at least two different types of laugh - one from a witty remark and another for demonstating solidarity), they are methods of building group hierarchies and structure - at the expense of the individual/s targeted. For example Englishman, Irishman, Scotsman jokes. The joke relies on both speaker and listener bein willing to respond based upon the presupposition that the Irishman is going to do something that fits the prejudices of both parties, that being something clearly stupid or idiotic. Tell the same joke to a frenchman who is not aware of the attitude of the English toward the Irish and he will be fairly bemused by it. Tell the same joke about, but switching out the national roles for a frenchman, a german and a belgian and they will laugh (that being because, to the French, Belgians play the same role of being stupid, inbred etc as the Irish do to the english).

Quote:
Well, I can't be right all the time -- most of the time will do. I have wondered where your extreme leftists opinions originate. Often, a middle class (in the traditional sense) upbringing by parents with an arts or humanities degree is to blame. Based on the additional information offered, I would venture to give further opinion, but I'm conscious I may offend unnecessarily, and so will desist.

that's funny because I'm pretty sure I've proven you incorrect each time we've crossed paths - including the Nazi party's disastrous handling of the German economy. the conditions you describe would, I believe, result in a left liberal individual far more often than a Trotskyist. Go right ahead, you're only assuming I care for your opinion about me.

Quote:
There's an accusation! I don't represent any class. I have merely reported my observations and conclusions after having experienced time with these people. Clearly like many leftists, you have a sense of humour failure around certain subjects. I guess you won't be happy until we're all wearing Mao suits and address each other as comrade. In the meantime the rest of us, out of earshot of agents of the state, will continue enjoying politically-incorrect humour and banter ("abuse" as you put it) based on racial, national, and regional stereotype, just as the English have done for centuries.

That's not an accusation, it's a reasonable conclusion to draw based on post on this forum and your apparent support for the BNP - a party which passes itself off as 'the only party representing the white working class of Britain'.
My sense of humour is functioning within acceptable parameters on all subjects.
I'm not a Maoist, nor am I interested in what you are wearing right now.
Party members refer to each other as comrade in certain situations out of respect to their fellow revolutionaries, I'm indifferent to whether or not you address another person as comrade.
You freely concede to being actively racist? Excellent. At least you're an honest individual about one thing.

back to the OP, I present Ascan as an example of the insipid racism of these British Isles. Wonderful place. If your face fits.