Page 1 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

bigblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2009, 6:21 am

My ideas learned and adapted to complete my overall view in this category of thought, In a way that makes logical sense.

#1 If religion is good, than it must encourage righteousness; So I beleive in all religions that do so fully, because I beleive in good.

#2 All religions with the exception of a few, were translated into human language through prophets. Even the original religious scriptures of the Christian Bible are translations through man. The originator Entity of these Ideas before muddled in the translations that we understand are named with words that we have chosen from our own vocabulary's.
But we KNOW THAT THESE GODS ARE NOT HUMAN CAUSE WE CANT SEE EM. so clearly HUMAN can barely understand whats going on in the land of GODS or GOD Or WHOMEVER UP THERE (Lets not forget THE GREAT SUN GOD.) So a little bet of skepticism on the literal defanitions of any given scripture ... probably a safe bet.

#3 When I Feel In side myself, woop there it is... The feeling of goodness. Because I acnowledge it, it is real and it is truth. It's in every living creature as far as I have seen. And I feel far to much shame within my failures in life to credit myself as the Know all creator of my own destiny... If I tried, I wouldn't figure out how to make all the wonderfull coincedences happen in my life... All the painfull lessons that an ignorant youth needed to learn and yet still live to not make them again lessons... Not me... I couldn't do it... Something else gave my life back in the O.R. and continues to let me live and be more everyday..

Rock On

#4 If you boycott religion you may loose sight of purpose.

#5 Religion has a very dark, sick history So Do it YOUR OWN WAY.

Hit me... 8) 8) 8)

Last edited by bigblock on 22 Dec 2009, 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2009, 6:29 am

when you said put away the yoghurt I Was steeled for a dumb post. But I like your philosophy. It is the same things i believe.

bigblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2009, 6:52 am

I do dumb stuff all the time. Like Yogurt polls... You want in?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2009, 7:15 am

bigblock wrote:
#1 If religion is good, than it must encourage righteousness; So I beleive in all religions that do so fully ...

What is righteousness, and do you know of one that does?

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Dec 2009, 7:43 am

A fairly good argument, although I am atheistic and have no plans of converting. I am currently short on time, I'll be back.

Dodus
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Dec 2009, 9:23 am

Thomas Paine said it best.

“My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.”

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2009, 10:05 am

one can be a good person without god or jesus or budda or allah or whatever.

The hard work of one does more than the prayer of millions.

"But, we feed the hungry and house the homeless"

Yes, but I don't have to pick and choose who to feed or who to allow a bed.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2009, 10:39 am

bigblock wrote:
ITS A BIG ONE so put away the Yogurt.

My ideas learned and adapted to complete my overall view in this category of thought, In a way that makes logical sense.

#1 If religion is good, than it must encourage righteousness; So I beleive in all religions that do so fully, because I beleive in good.

#2 All religions with the exception of a few, were translated into human language through prophets. Even the original religious scriptures of the Christian Bible are translations through man. The originator Entity of these Ideas before muddled in the translations that we understand are named with words that we have chosen from our own vocabulary's.
But we KNOW THAT THESE GODS ARE NOT HUMAN CAUSE WE CANT SEE EM. so clearly HUMAN can barely understand whats going on in the land of GODS or GOD Or WHOMEVER UP THERE (Lets not forget THE GREAT SUN GOD.) So a little bet of skepticism on the literal defanitions of any given scripture ... probably a safe bet.

#3 When I Feel In side myself, woop there it is... The feeling of goodness. Because I acnowledge it, it is real and it is truth. It's in every living creature as far as I have seen. And I feel far to much shame within my failures in life to credit myself as the Know all creator of my own destiny... If I tried, I wouldn't figure out how to make all the wonderfull coincedences happen in my life... All the painfull lessons that an ignorant youth needed to learn and yet still live to not make them again lessons... Not me... I couldn't do it... Something else gave my life back in the O.R. and continues to let me live and be more everyday..

Rock On

#4 If you boycott religion you may loose sight of purpose.

#5 Religion has a very dark, sick history So Do it YOUR OWN WAY.

Hit me...

Indeed. Especially #2 and #5. Instead of taking the dogmas of religion as 'Law' and treated as such, it's much better to look upon what is codified as 'Law' in religion as suggestions instead. --Sadly, it seems that most people are blinded by the legalism, especially in the Abrahamic beliefs.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2009, 4:48 pm

Dodus wrote:
Thomas Paine said it best.

“My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.”

Sounds good to me ...

"Clean and undefiled religion ... is this: To visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world." (James 1:27)

leschevalsroses
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Dec 2009, 5:02 pm

digger1 wrote:
one can be a good person without god or jesus or budda or allah or whatever.

The hard work of one does more than the prayer of millions.

"But, we feed the hungry and house the homeless"

Yes, but I don't have to pick and choose who to feed or who to allow a bed.

I don't really believe in a God, but I consider myself religious. I believe in goodness and the connection that people can have to this world. I think that too many people have a black and white view of religion and what it means to be religious.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2009, 6:13 pm

leschevalsroses wrote:
I don't really believe in a God, but I consider myself religious. I believe in goodness and the connection that people can have to this world. I think that too many people have a black and white view of religion and what it means to be religious.

Are you part of a religion? If not then you aren't religious, you are spiritual. It's very simple.

leschevalsroses
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Dec 2009, 7:30 pm

Lecks wrote:
leschevalsroses wrote:

Are you part of a religion? If not then you aren't religious, you are spiritual. It's very simple.

Yes I'm Pagan.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2009, 9:59 pm

There is a lot of truth in the old saying "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2009, 11:18 pm

leschevalsroses wrote:
Lecks wrote:

Yes I'm Pagan.

Can you clarify a bit? Paganism is a very broad concept.

bigblock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Dec 2009, 8:15 am

This site Rocks

stuff like "The Road To hell is paved with good intentions"

Its true.

I'm always leaning towards what ever sounds good to me.

That's just about everyone here,

There does appear to be lines of similar thinking under the weightier differing opinions we hold true as individuals.

bla bla bla... kinda doing the monalogue thing...

Its tough when people slam me with literal interpretations of vauge or vivid holy writing.

I always feel like pointing out... 'yeah but..."
whats the point? If the person harping on me about religion, looses theirs thank's to a good argument on my part, then said person's life could become far less innocent and pure in meaning and doing.

Oregon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Dec 2009, 8:45 am

Religion does serve a purpose.

It sets a high bar for followers to live up to.
It provides moral educational support, some parents need all the help they can get.
It provides a since of belonging and community.
It provides a since of history and tradition.
It's easy to join, there is a church every 5 blocks in my town.u
You can sing off key and no one will care (An you don't have to be drunk & on stage)

As for religious beliefs... well almost any reason to celebrate life is a good one.
My desire to do good is a personal thing. I want to make the world a little better place each day, even if it's once inch at a time. If there is or is not a God does not change the way I live my life. But I feel things work too well to be created by random mutations & chaos.