If it is not understood, then it is not possible?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 6:52 am

I had a dream last night that I was flying. I'm not sure how I was, but I was in a department store and occasionally flying over aisles. A couple of people saw me flying and they were talking amongst themselves about how I wasn't allowed to "defy the laws of physics". But as I was hearing them say this, I was thinking to myself that I'm not actually defying the laws of physics. Yes, I'm not using a known method, such as lift or thrust, but by physical law, such as Newton's laws, I was still within them. Just that for my vertical component when flying that there must be a force opposing gravity. During takeoff, that force has to exceed gravity. For maintaining flight, the force has to equal gravity, and for descending it would be less than gravity, but nonzero. However, these couple of people were seeking to kill me because they still thought that I was "breaking the law" and as such were attempting to kill me because of their own ignorance.

But apart from this dream, the question I have is the question in the subject:

"If it is not understood, then it is not possible?"

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 9:48 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
I had a dream last night that I was flying. I'm not sure how I was, but I was in a department store and occasionally flying over aisles. A couple of people saw me flying and they were talking amongst themselves about how I wasn't allowed to "defy the laws of physics". But as I was hearing them say this, I was thinking to myself that I'm not actually defying the laws of physics. Yes, I'm not using a known method, such as lift or thrust, but by physical law, such as Newton's laws, I was still within them. Just that for my vertical component when flying that there must be a force opposing gravity. During takeoff, that force has to exceed gravity. For maintaining flight, the force has to equal gravity, and for descending it would be less than gravity, but nonzero. However, these couple of people were seeking to kill me because they still thought that I was "breaking the law" and as such were attempting to kill me because of their own ignorance.

But apart from this dream, the question I have is the question in the subject:

Do you fully understand quantum physics?

SirLogiC
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Dec 2009, 9:58 am

Its a dream, physics has nothing to do with it :D

The question

Quote:
is too open

Antibiotics were known and used before people knew what they did or knew what bacteria where.

I do not believe we can "fly" like that yet though, as we do not understand gravity. By that I mean I've read that physicists are having trouble incorporating gravity into quantum physics and do not understand how gravity works quite yet. Of course in dreams anything is possible, including defying physics!

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2009, 10:20 am

SirLogiC wrote:
Its a dream, physics has nothing to do with it :D

Not necessarily, dreams come in a variety of topics. Often an analysis of material read or discussions heard previously.

SirLogiC wrote:
The question
Quote:
is too open

Meh, the thread is going to be derailed anyway, so why then specify it too much?

SirLogiC wrote:
Antibiotics were known and used before people knew what they did or knew what bacteria where.

Correct, and the immune system was around even prior to the four humors theory.

SirLogiC wrote:
I do not believe we can "fly" like that yet though, as we do not understand gravity. By that I mean I've read that physicists are having trouble incorporating gravity into quantum physics and do not understand how gravity works quite yet. Of course in dreams anything is possible, including defying physics!

Whether humans can fly or not is not really what my dream was about, but more about the general attitudes of some people.