Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 7:52 pm

Any misanthropists here? If so, why? :lol:

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 9:46 pm

I'm a misanthrope based on my years of observation of other people. Humans are, in general, contemptible and stupid creatures.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 10:59 pm

I hate Wal-Mart, does that count as hating people?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 11:23 pm

There are all sorts of people. Some are kind and generous and intelligent, some are silly and helpless, some are stupid and brutal. I try to tell them apart and am not always successful but it's worth the effort. I don't hate dogs or cats or pigeons or squirrels because they are stupid. I give people the same consideration.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2010, 11:31 pm

I am a misanthrope as well.

I don't know why. I'd like to say that it is because of my objectivity and clarity in thought, however, it is entirely possible that this is a personality issue. In any case, off the cuff, I agree with Orwell, and I will also say this: every single person in existence is both insane and absurd. Maybe I am being cynical here, but in order to have the kind of long-standing disagreements that we have to have today, some people have to be insane, and if some people are, why not all people?

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 5:13 pm

Yes. Humans are selfish, stupid creatures. I don't get a lot of their ideas and values. If a person abuses an animal it is either called entertainment or science, but if same thing is done to a person, it is a crime. People win nobel prizes for hurting animals but get life sentences for doing things to people. People who try to save animals from this abuse are labeled as terroist while the people responsible for it are celebrated as heros. Animals only kill out of desperation such as for food but people kill for a thrill and to make them feel bigger. If a person wears the skin of an animal, they are considered "fashionable" but if they wear the skin of another person, they are called "phycopaths" or "mentaly ill".

Humans are selfish creatures. They don't care if they step on a "lesser" species to figure out what makes themselves tick or to find a cure for one of their afflications or to make sure their products to make themselves beautiful are "safe". They think since they can speak that those who do not are uniltenigent and aren't actualy concious but are just under the control of "instinct" so it's alright to bend them to our will. I hate humans as a species.

Last edited by PunkyKat on 16 Jan 2010, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 5:15 pm

PunkyKat wrote:
Animals only kill out of desperation such as for food

You might not want to ever study zoology. It'll make you a lot more depressed than you are now.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 5:24 pm

Orwell wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:

Sure some species may kill to ellimate competiton for their offspring but they don't destroy entire ecosystems or make trophies out of their victims body parts. If a person does that to another, it's seen as a sign of being mentaly ill or evil. But if they do it to an animal, it's veiwed as art or a symbol of their superiority.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 5:51 pm

I used to be one. Why? I thought everyone was stupid. I was judgmental. Why? I spent a lot of time trying to analyze people and I came to some conclusion that they were phonies. Maybe I was the phoney and I was just pissed that I had to conform. Now I see that I was stupid because there is so much beauty in humanity, like the beauty in dolphins. Yeah, there is a lot of ugliness, but there is far more beauty.

-Pythagoras

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 5:52 pm

Orwell wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:

You might not want to ever study zoology. It'll make you a lot more depressed than you are now.

haha

Animals just differ in the degree...

-Pythagoras

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 6:06 pm

PunkyKat wrote:
Orwell wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:

Sure some species may kill to ellimate competiton for their offspring but they don't destroy entire ecosystems or make trophies out of their victims body parts.

You are kidding right? That you believe such a thing? There are many species that practice a sort of scorched earth policy upon their prey. It is just that the rest of nature has a mitigative effect.

Trophy-wise, several species kill and mark their kills, spoiling what they cannot and will not eat. The Wolverine is an example.

Herbivores can be very hard on their ecosystems. In Africa the Zebu eat all the grass. What comes up next are shoots from trees, which elephants then strip to the ground. It is only the presence of predators that enable those plants to regenerate.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 7:23 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:
Orwell wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:

Sure some species may kill to ellimate competiton for their offspring but they don't destroy entire ecosystems or make trophies out of their victims body parts.

You are kidding right? That you believe such a thing? There are many species that practice a sort of scorched earth policy upon their prey. It is just that the rest of nature has a mitigative effect.

Trophy-wise, several species kill and mark their kills, spoiling what they cannot and will not eat. The Wolverine is an example.

Herbivores can be very hard on their ecosystems. In Africa the Zebu eat all the grass. What comes up next are shoots from trees, which elephants then strip to the ground. It is only the presence of predators that enable those plants to regenerate.

And animals don't try and shove their veiwpoints into my face like you are obviously doing.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 7:25 pm

PunkyKat wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:
Orwell wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:

And animals don't try and shove their veiwpoints into my face like you are obviously doing.

Smoke...

-Pythagoras

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 7:29 pm

Also, Orcas and other species of dolphin kill for fun, even when they aren't hungry. And chimps are some seriously violent creatures- they make humans look downright peaceful.

And to be fair, it's not just the animal kingdom. Autotrophs (algae mostly) caused a mass extinction when they first began to photosynthesize and polluted the early atmosphere with highly corrosive oxygen. Later plants created an ice age because they used up too much of the atmospheric CO2 and negated the greenhouse effect.

So yeah, there seem to be adequate grounds for hating living things in general, at least if we go by PunkyKat's criterion of needless killing and destruction of ecosystems.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 7:33 pm

Orwell wrote:
Also, Orcas and other species of dolphin kill for fun, even when they aren't hungry. And chimps are some seriously violent creatures- they make humans look downright peaceful.

And to be fair, it's not just the animal kingdom. Autotrophs (algae mostly) caused a mass extinction when they first began to photosynthesize and polluted the early atmosphere with highly corrosive oxygen. Later plants created an ice age because they used up too much of the atmospheric CO2 and negated the greenhouse effect.

So yeah, there seem to be adequate grounds for hating living things in general, at least if we go by PunkyKat's criterion of needless killing and destruction of ecosystems.

The bonobo chimps are far more peaceful in all measurements. I think it is due to their sexual, emotional nature. The common chimp is the warrior to Thee worse degree of us apes

-Pythagoras

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2010, 8:00 pm

Just read my sig - it translates as 'Man is a famished, envious, insatiable beast.'

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).