Page 4 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 4:48 pm

Perhaps it could be defined as a person with no faults. There are no perfect people, anybody who claims that they are perfect has a fault, arrogance.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2010, 7:00 pm

Avarice wrote:
Perhaps it could be defined as a person with no faults. There are no perfect people, anybody who claims that they are perfect has a fault, arrogance.

As Oscar Wilde demonstrated clearly, arrogance can not only be justified, it can be great fun.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

28 Jan 2010, 3:14 pm

Perfect people: scary thought...because who defines who is perfect and who is not. Perfection is relevent.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2010, 10:18 pm

jojobean wrote:
Perfect people: scary thought...because who defines who is perfect and who is not. Perfection is relevent.

As much as correcting linguistic mistakes are disliked, when a word is totally off base, something should be remarked. It seems to me the key word should be "relative".

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 12:59 am

I define the word "perfect" as meaning "whole". So, as long as a person is missing nothing, they are perfect.

Argument by definition anyone?

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Jan 2010, 9:13 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
I define the word "perfect" as meaning "whole". So, as long as a person is missing nothing, they are perfect.

Argument by definition anyone?

Absolutely agreed. Nothing relative about perfection. Something is either perfect or not perfect, no in-betweens, no qualifiers or quantifiers. Whole is the perfect word to define perfection. Complete is another perfect word.

fidelis
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2010, 9:39 am

I perfect is an idealized concept. There is no way to define it. For some one to be whole they must be at both ends of every line. They must be good and bad, they must love and hate both everyone and no one, they must tell the truth when they lie and lie when they tell the truth. If this doesn't make sense then don't ask me. There is no way I can explain it. This doesn't sound perfect to me. It just sounds complete.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Jan 2010, 10:05 am

fidelis wrote:
I perfect is an idealized concept. There is no way to define it. For some one to be whole they must be at both ends of every line. They must be good and bad, they must love and hate both everyone and no one, they must tell the truth when they lie and lie when they tell the truth. If this doesn't make sense then don't ask me. There is no way I can explain it. This doesn't sound perfect to me. It just sounds complete.

Excellent and profound thought processing going on in your mind, in your post. The concept of perfection is a real brain teaser. Perfection would like to defy definition, but we must be able to define it as best we can if we want to discuss the possibility of it's existence or potential to exist.

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 8:31 am

To me, a perfect person is one who cares little for himself and more for others. I have found people like this. I personally have recognised this trait in three certain people, a local spiritual assembly member of the local Baha'i community, a member of the Baha'i state council, and a lecturer in my college (a Christian).

Whatever setbacks they may posses, it's irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. This trait is what's mainly necessary.

I try to be like them, and I continue to fail. It's very difficult to be selfless and love humanity.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 8:39 pm

A perfect person cannot exist, for that would imply that this person has no more need to change . . . and its a law of nature that anything which cannot change, dies. Perfect is merely ideology and naivete (kinda like religion imo, but that's a different subject) and to want it is also a fools errand. Perfect would be boring since there would be nothing else to do or learn.

fidelis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 8:41 pm

PlatedDrake wrote:
A perfect person cannot exist, for that would imply that this person has no more need to change . . . and its a law of nature that anything which cannot change, dies. Perfect is merely ideology and naivete (kinda like religion imo, but that's a different subject) and to want it is also a fools errand. Perfect would be boring since there would be nothing else to do or learn.

Two words: Horseshoe crab.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 8:51 pm

fidelis wrote:
PlatedDrake wrote:

If your ideal is to become a horseshoe crab, go for it! You may get there but it has no appeal for me.

fidelis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 9:05 pm

Sand wrote:
fidelis wrote:
PlatedDrake wrote:

If your ideal is to become a horseshoe crab, go for it! You may get there but it has no appeal for me.

That was actually kind of funny. No, I don't want to become a horseshoe crab. I was referring to how little evolution has touched them, and how little they seem to change on an individual level. And they somehow seem to stay alive with their boring selves.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 9:17 pm

fidelis wrote:
Sand wrote:
fidelis wrote:
PlatedDrake wrote:

That was actually kind of funny. No, I don't want to become a horseshoe crab. I was referring to how little evolution has touched them, and how little they seem to change on an individual level. And they somehow seem to stay alive with their boring selves.

I understood the reference but perfection is, to my mind, something more desirable than the life of a horseshoe crab. I imagine there are even more primitive forms of life that have existed even longer.

fidelis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 9:25 pm

Sand wrote:
fidelis wrote:
Sand wrote:
fidelis wrote:
PlatedDrake wrote:

I understood the reference but perfection is, to my mind, something more desirable than the life of a horseshoe crab. I imagine there are even more primitive forms of life that have existed even longer.

I agree. I would hate to be perfect and not know it. Do you think they have ever done a formal study to test the intelligence of one? They may turn out to be too intelligent to worry about the crap we do. But you forgot to specify what you think perfect is, or at least a little bit more on what it's not. Just an idea at the very least.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2010, 10:17 pm

fidelis wrote:
Sand wrote:
fidelis wrote:
Sand wrote:
fidelis wrote:
PlatedDrake wrote:

I agree. I would hate to be perfect and not know it. Do you think they have ever done a formal study to test the intelligence of one? They may turn out to be too intelligent to worry about the crap we do. But you forgot to specify what you think perfect is, or at least a little bit more on what it's not. Just an idea at the very least.

Perfection is an approach to an ideal. There are no perfect idiots at this site but that is not for a lack of effort. And that is a general observation and not pointed at this interchange.