What will aspies do when the economy collapses?

Page 4 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 10:20 am

I don't have any skills. Nobody ever, ever complimented a thing about me growing up, they rather worry about money problems all the time. Why does a child honestly try hard when nobody cares about what they accomplish? Now things are worse. I'll commit suicide long before begging. I already live off my parents and have struggled for years now. People out there are discriminate.

As for begging, that absolutly will not be done by me. I wasn't raised like that. Not that I hate beggers, but to be one is the ultimate self-inflict in my mind.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 11:51 am

LiendaBalla wrote:
I don't have any skills. Nobody ever, ever complimented a thing about me growing up, they rather worry about money problems all the time. Why does a child honestly try hard when nobody cares about what they accomplish? Now things are worse. I'll commit suicide long before begging. I already live off my parents and have struggled for years now. People out there are discriminate.

As for begging, that absolutly will not be done by me. I wasn't raised like that. Not that I hate beggers, but to be one is the ultimate self-inflict in my mind.

Wondering about being helpless is not much help. If you're serious about doing something about it try to assess what you might be capable of and get yourself some training. I started college at about your age and got something of a career out of it. You're not stupid so find out what your possibilities are and use them. No sense talking about begging or suicide. Everybody can do something useful. You're no exception.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 12:42 pm

goin' to the effin woods
I can live there forever
I made it a point to survive on my own in the past and will in the future
no stupid welfare/disability s**t for me

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 1:01 pm

pezar wrote:
My special interest lately has been survivalism and what I and many others see as the inevitable collapse of the economic, social, and political structures of the USA and possibly beyond. I have been planning for this for a while. I learned how to repair computers so I wouldn't have an income dependent on government welfare. I tried starting a business, only to end up bankrupt when it didn't fly. I am currently figuring out how to advertise my computer repair services for maximum impact.

But most aspies/auties don't have any skills they can get money/food for, most live on welfare and usually with relatives, most are obsessed with VERY narrow interests that are useless to society, etc. What will they do when everything comes crashing down? Die? Aspies can't live on the streets; we lack "street smarts" and are likely to end up dead before acquiring them. I'm looking to buy a patch of land where I can grow/raise my own food, and of course it would have no mortgage so I wouldn't have to worry about the banks, just the taxes.

But most of us have no options and no way of getting options. If our families lose their homes, they will likely dump us, like families did to kids in the 30s, and we'll end up as wanderers. This time around, people will be so crazed with hunger that they'll be more willing to eat us than accommodate us. (Zeno, you have a thread, so stay out of mine, ok? Thanks.) What will YOU do when society collapses?

If this happens in about 50 years or so (as I highly doubt), I'll be too busy chilling on my yacht in Monaco to start living on the streets.

See, I don't like your negative connotations. You're insinuating we can't make our own money, live for ourselves, etc. Not necessarily true. The creator of Pokemon is on the spectrum, and last time I checked that franchise wasen't exactly a small one. If Bill Gates is indeed on the spectrum, then there's another example to throw in.

But, I don't see society collapsing anytime within the next 100 years and probably beyond, so even thinking about this is pointless.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 3:38 pm

I can't countenance the idea of this civilisation surviving another 100 years, at least, not the way it is. If it doesn't go on it's own, I'll make it go with the weight of my own will!

I'd better put a wink here :wink:

psych
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 12:30 am

pezar wrote:

I'm not a militant survivalist in the traditional American sense either. I tend to follow Fernando Aguirre, who has written about how people coped with the collapse of Argentina in 2001-02. He advocates adapting to the new environment, rather than trying to escape it and build bulwarks against it, as is usually the advice from American survivalists. He starts out with an obvious observation: most people will not be able to leave the cities. He furthermore says that living in a remote area is NOT a good idea, as you tend to be vulnerable to bandits and other disasters. In his view, the cities don't go away, they just get really crime infested and dangerous. The American view has traditionally been to buy remote land and hoard food. Of course, what happens when your food runs out? What happens when you're overwhelmed by bandits? He suggests that it's best to carry a knife for close quarters fighting, such as being grabbed and assaulted. Guns are usually for home defense, although he does carry a gun sometimes as well.

is that the blogger known as ferfal ?
worth a read.

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 1:49 am

Why exactly do you view this economic collapse as inevitable?