What music grabs at/expresses your essential feel of reality

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 10:13 pm

Lol, dare I? I want to introduce a music thread in the philosophy forum - on philosophical grounds, though I realize - it'll be tough to really have much in the way of good flame wars over it, pity :cry: .

I guess for me though I just get excited about internal reality - as well as how it matches the views of those who hold it, its almost a way of the subconscious grabbing a deeper context of things.

So is this an idea or am I just going daft on a special interest?

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 10:16 pm

[/i]A question of balance[/i] by the moody blues is good. I esp. like the last track

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 10:28 pm

I think it would be that:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfvjw3dJsmQ[/youtube]

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 10:29 pm

Ah that reminds me... most boss fight music drives me mad with energy and inspiration. It's all just so awesomely epic.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 10:48 pm

Some of my own production:
http://soundcloud.com/5pryme/5pryme-neural-chase

lastfm<--some older stuff

As for work of some other people that really seems to speak my heart:
This entire cd, not released yet but he has a sampler on Youtube, the whole thing's phenominal.
http://www.youtube.com/user/awanderingj ... F018151584

Also:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nqM2klrmtw[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyMYkRp014g[/youtube]

AG, I mentioned having a bit of internal mysticism, this is it.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Last edited by techstepgenr8tion on 27 Feb 2010, 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 11:37 pm

Ok, fine, here's some of the music I like.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHmYKRDTZDU[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UlVI9dL5Vs[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGj1VUJ9f0U[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kne67pSaALg[/youtube]

Psychoanalyze away.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 11:51 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Psychoanalyze away.

Nah, I'm more a fan of Jung than Freud - subconscious is something much bigger than conscious IMO, not a pool of phallic garble. Stuff like this just adds color depth - ie. I read someone's posts, I check this thread and look up what they posted, I get a better frame of reference for where they're coming from.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2010, 11:59 pm

Something that just jumped out of wandering journal and smacked me, the bells at 1:18 drive me wild:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuvTNThjlRI[/youtube]

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 12:51 am

I had a thread here on "Artificial Music" and it was shoved into the Arts forum. There is philosophy in human-machine creativity but apparently the authorities here didn't buy it.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 1:01 am

Sand wrote:
I had a thread here on "Artificial Music" and it was shoved into the Arts forum. There is philosophy in human-machine creativity but apparently the authorities here didn't buy it.

I don't know - I never saw that thread, never would have had a dog in the fight on it either. I'd say this though, since we all pass the Turing test (sober at least) and we're examining ourselves as machines that have subconscious that dwarfs our conscious, definitely worthwhile. If you had a philosophical point with the thread on machine music though - sorry you got screwed over by the leadership, should have PM'd me :).

So Sand, are you gonna drop some Jimmy Durante or Louis Armstrong? I'm sure you've got something up your sleeve.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 1:20 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Sand wrote:

I don't know - I never saw that thread, never would have had a dog in the fight on it either. I'd say this though, since we all pass the Turing test (sober at least) and we're examining ourselves as machines that have subconscious that dwarfs our conscious, definitely worthwhile. If you had a philosophical point with the thread on machine music though - sorry you got screwed over by the leadership, should have PM'd me :).

So Sand, are you gonna drop some Jimmy Durante or Louis Armstrong? I'm sure you've got something up your sleeve.

I enjoy classical music on occasion and older stuff like Benny Goodman and that type of stuff but have no really good sound equipment and am astounded at all the addicts of music I see in public places with wires stuck in their ears. I'm more or less out of it. My higher frequencies have disappeared and I need a hearing aid to converse with my companion sparrow. Music is patterns to me and a bit of nostalgia with Cole porter and that crowd.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 1:32 am

Shame on the highs, I would have suggested B&W (Bowers & Wilkins) or Martin Logan static screen, just depending on how much hearing your classical crystal clear means to you (then again IMO the B&W, between the two, is the more economically priced)

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 1:46 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Shame on the highs, I would have suggested B&W (Bowers & Wilkins) or Martin Logan static screen, just depending on how much hearing your classical crystal clear means to you (then again IMO the B&W, between the two, is the more economically priced)

Since, after rent and utilities, I am surviving on about $250 per month I am more or less out of purchasing any real effective equipment. Since I'm basically a visual artist and can enjoy painting with cheap textile dyes, shoe polish, mustard and ketchup on chopped up discarded grocery boxes the loss of music isn't all that vital. I still have a radio.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 1:50 am

As long as you don't have dogs around - condiment painting could get messy otherwise, lots of belly stew to clean up.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 4:54 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
As long as you don't have dogs around - condiment painting could get messy otherwise, lots of belly stew to clean up.

I doubt licking pigments or turpentine would improve dogshit.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2010, 5:17 am

I have too many genres that grab me, I also love to play my own on the piano.

If I believed in something celestial or divine, it would most definitely be music. Though I realize this could be argued by people who only think in terms of logic and numbers. For me it's like an emotional connection I could describe, not even to a music lover themselves.