Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 8:09 am

I'm on a forum that's evolving into a conspiracy theory forum for Asperger People.

It started out as a splinter of a larger, verbally abusive and scary conspiracy theory forum. In case you don't know, lots of weird and scary ethugs hang out at conspiracy theory forums, like the guys who fly their planes into federal buildings and shoot up Pentagon metro stops. Conspiracy theory forums is where people who blame the government for staging 9/11 discuss their "evidence" and many theories about aliens, Illuminati, religious agendas get floated and hashed out. They are overrun by racists, militia, NRA activists, tea baggers and shills of every stripe hawk their wares in the form of divisive memes.

Well, why would any Aspies want to hang out at conspiracy theory forums? Because there's also real information, not just what's comfortable and politically expedient for mainstream news outlets to publish. I can find information on chronic violators of food safety practices, FDA-approved drugs that are killing people, shady gold bars, which banks are about to go under if the treasury bond auctions fail, and news hits there hours before it hits mainstream news. And amid the mess of woowoo theories, there are people who really know what they are talking about, who can explain consequences of current problems, years before those problems erupt into national economic disaster.

But mostly, what I get from conspiracy theory forums is discussion about current events and theories about the world that no one else feels has to fit in to anyone else. You can have oddboll projects, and others will respect and listen. There are survivalists and self-sufficiency experts there, a subject which I have dived deeply into. I know that hard times are here and maybe worse times are coming, and people discuss how to live off the land, manage your health care without doctors if needed, cut your dependence "on the grid", store supplies and so on. All of these self-sufficiency skills are useful to me since I don't expect that I will fare well in any disaster or downturn and the better prepared I am the better I can weather downturns. This is the first year I'll have container gardening on my deck and start canning and preserving wild foods.

I also get socialization experiences with bullies, trolls and shills, which experience has become an invaluable layer of reference material that informs and enlightens my real life interactions out in public.

So anyways, a bunch of us were at a big conspiracy theory board, which is a chaotic, often abusive place, and then there is a purge so that anyone who is not a right wing activist is booted out, so a lot of us landed at an anonymous forum where trolling and abuse was out of control. So one of us started a conspiracy theory forum where you can discuss anything, and even post anonymously, but the rules are basically no bullying of other members (on an ongoing basis) and racism is also strongly frowned on. But you can talk about anything and people listen to and track each others' ideas, and it's mostly anonymous but you can sign in and chat as a member, if you wish.

Turns out, a lot of us are Aspies, LOL. The new forum was just right for us. There are mostly NT's there but a lot of AS as well, who are functioning in the real world.

I thought I'd post it here and let you know. There is a lot of great stuff here on wrongplanet.net, but it's not really a conspiracy theory forum and if the traffic exceeds a certain load you get cut off. So the servers here can't handle the load when a big event strikes and everyone piles online to swap developing information. We also track economic events and monitor how things are going and sometimes help each other with survival and self-sufficiency projects, which is something I'm not sure people do here at wrongplanet.

It's not a place to live online, that can draw people away from a place like wrongplanet. It's more of a place to visit once in a while and get new ideas and different kinds of conversations.

I would love to see more Aspies check in from time to time!

www.lunaticoutpost.com

Mods, if this post about another website is inappropriate somehow, I apologize and please feel free to delete it if it is!

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 8:21 am

They had a thread over at Rigorous Intuition recently about asperger's, turns out that the founder and a good number of the members tested pretty high for it. And that guy in the news, very high profile, had asperger's and he was allegedly hacking US military networks looking for UFO data. So asperger's and conspiracy theory seemingly go hand in hand then? I'm not sure if this is relevant to your thread or not.

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 8:28 am

Moog wrote:
They had a thread over at Rigorous Intuition recently about asperger's, turns out that the founder and a good number of the members tested pretty high for it. And that guy in the news, very high profile, had asperger's and he was allegedly hacking US military networks looking for UFO data. So asperger's and conspiracy theory seemingly go hand in hand then? I'm not sure if this is relevant to your thread or not.

I'll look up Rigorous Intuition! I'm not a hacker but that might be a fun place to be.

I don't know where the overlap between conspiracy theorists and Asperger lies. I know love discussing alternative theories of politics and social problems with people who are like AS. They are truly genuine. They aren't just "out of the box" thinkers, there is no box. Conspiracy theorists tend to take "out of the box" thinking one step further and some are just nutty and paranoid, but they all start at the same place: not in sync with the group mind. (I don't delve deeply into the intricacies of the most deluded conspiracy theories, some of them have mental problems.)

Many NT's don't even discuss politics, religion or social problems at all because they tend to recite memes that are acceptable in their groupthink of whatever group they are in. So when they start discussing politics and religion, it just becomes a battle of groupthinks and talking breaks down. For years I tried discussing things online, like Health Care, but every time you do, shills from one side or another come out of the woodwork and start blasting you with talking points. Then there is a shouting match until the subject is dropped.

AS who are high functioning and analyzing politics, history, etc. are a BLAST to discuss current events with b/c of their original thinking and alternative, often compelling theories.

ETA: Rigorous Intuition looks good! :hail: (But a little too into the anti-government focus for my taste)

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 9:23 am

What sort of conspiracy theories does this website forum discuss? I'm interested in politics and economics plus history etc. It's not just a forum where people talk about chemtrails and UFO's is it? :lol:
If it isn't too "conspiracy" based I might check it out...

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 9:35 am

gemstone123 wrote:
What sort of conspiracy theories does this website forum discuss? I'm interested in politics and alternative economics plus history etc. It's not just a forum where people talk about chemtrails and UFO's is it? :lol:
If it isn't too "conspiracy" based I might check it out...

There are about 4 hardcore alternative economics and history people on the board, and I'm one of them, but we aren't usually all on at the same time. So we have to search back for threads and bump them to carry on a conversation. Right now there's a set of discussions on the revelations yesterday about the new incidents re: gold-plated tungsten bars, Greece/Iceland doom and some pretty technical info about the bond market on one thread I'm still reading.

<snip>

ETA: cut a lot of long-winded junk out of my post

Last edited by ephemerella on 07 Mar 2010, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 9:40 am

The truth is actually out there, and it's even more boring than all of the lies.

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 10:33 am

Danielismyname wrote:
The truth is actually out there, and it's even more boring than all of the lies.

:lmao: :thumleft:

I keep telling people that there is a conspiracy of elites destroying the country... a conspiracy of fools.

Actually, this website, wrongplanet.net, is more interesting in terms of smart people to discuss stuff with.

It's just that it gets hard to stay at one place all the time.

You know what would be perfect here? An "Off Topic" section, like offtopic.com has. Like another General Discussion sort of area but instead of for AS stuff, it's all non-AS stuff, like breaking news, silly chats, jokes, etc, all in one area.

Last edited by ephemerella on 07 Mar 2010, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 10:34 am

Say, Ephemerella, I'm interested in your science of wellness. Can you point me to specific resources that can tell me about cancer fighting herbs?

Danielismyname wrote:

I like that.

DavidK
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Mar 2010, 10:42 am

There's no great hidden conspiracy. That doesn't mean there aren't bad guys in high places; there are, and it is common knowledge.

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 10:43 am

Moog wrote:
Say, Ephemerella, I'm interested in your science of wellness. Can you point me to specific resources that can tell me about cancer fighting herbs?

Danielismyname wrote:

I like that.

Moog, there aren't that many places out there right now. There is supposedly a medical school opening in California (I can find out about it if you want) that is going to focus on the science of wellness, instead of focusing on the science of diseases and developing patented therapies to treat them (which is what most medical education in the U.S. is about).

So right now there are a lot of natural medicine folks out there and alternative medicine is exploding as an industry, but there's a lot of ad hoc bad info out there. But if you take natural medicine, traditional healing, nutritional and alternative medicine and use science-based research to dissect their methods and cures, this leads to the scientific study of wellness, or how to create and support health.

So you can do this yourself. For example, if you read that green tea is good for fighting cancer, you can go on scholar.google.com or other scientific research websites and research papers that analyze the components of green tea and why/how they support cancer-fighting in the body. That's basically how you do it. You start with Traditional Chinese medicine herbs, natural healing cures, and you start reviewing scientific research for explanations for why they work (there's a lot of research into natural medicines lately). After a while, you start to form a picture of what the major disease-fighting systems in the body are, how they work, and what kinds of natural therapies and foods support them working well. That's more or less how you get started studying the science of wellness.

This subject is perfect for a systemizing Aspie like myself to spend weeks and weeks happily researching.

I could start some threads if, if someone here is interested in these topics.

It's helped me a lot with my Asperger Symptoms.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 10:44 am

ephemerella wrote:
I keep telling people that there is a conspiracy of elites destroying the country... a conspiracy of fools.

A confederacy of dunces?

ephemerella wrote:
I could start some threads if, if someone here is interested in these topics.

Please do.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 11:18 am

Yep.

There ain't no Illuminati controlling the world from their bunker in the core of the earth, and keeping all of the extraterrestrial secrets and The Fountain of Youth to themselves, rather, it's just banks, politicians; executive, judicial and legislative branches of government; clans, gangs, the next door neighbor and those kids you see in the seat of a trolley at the supermarket or being carried around at the market by their mother, who'll grow up to be a part of these things prior.

It's just the boring old people that you know.

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 11:44 am

Danielismyname wrote:
Yep.

There ain't no Illuminati controlling the world from their bunker in the core of the earth, and keeping all of the extraterrestrial secrets and The Fountain of Youth to themselves, rather, it's just banks, politicians; executive, judicial and legislative branches of government; clans, gangs, the next door neighbor and those kids you see in the seat of a trolley at the supermarket or being carried around at the market by their mother, who'll grow up to be a part of these things prior.

It's just the boring old people that you know.

So true! They are so cute when they're not being despised, feared world rulers.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 11:48 am

Ah, a Gerontocracy conspiracy theory. I'm pretty sure some of our rulers are over ten thousand years old.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 12:24 pm

I agree, mostly just people playing off of whatever is going around.

History has as much intent as evolution, it is just how it turned out.

Medical knowledge is only valued when profitable, and the most money is spent in the last six months of life. They die anyway, leave them in peace.

A simple diet, lots of exercise, and you still might get hit by a bus. Teen through forty, traffic is the big killer.

There is nothing so complex that it cannout be accounted for by the dumb behaivor of hairless ground apes.

Money is about to become worthless, so now is the time to buy a house in Las Vegas, for you can pay it off, or buy a loaf of bread.

Working on your own survival is what everyone did. For the price of a house you could have a farm, that would feed you. Like over priced houses we are now going to pay the price of convience.

Lose your job, your apartment, how well will you survive on the sidewalk? No one put you there, it was one step after another down the easy path.

This is the forth wave of cities in the last 10,000 years, the first three failed, and Rome was better built.

The Aliens did not do it.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2010, 12:45 pm

ephemerella wrote:
You know what would be perfect here? An "Off Topic" section, like offtopic.com has. Like another General Discussion sort of area but instead of for AS stuff, it's all non-AS stuff, like breaking news, silly chats, jokes, etc, all in one area.

Like the Random Discussion subforum, the News and Current Events subforum, and the Off-the-Wall Games subforum that already exist here? I'm not sure what you're asking for that is not already provided.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!