Auto-sexual (masturbation only) 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Bestiality 11%  11%  [ 10 ]
Other (specify 7%  7%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 87

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 7:01 pm

I wonder if the people voting "asexual" also think that priests are asexual?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 8:24 pm

Sand wrote:

Whether Jesus liked to screw women or men or merely masturbated is of no concern to me at all.

Are you implying that God masturbates?

According to orthodox Christians, Jesus was God.

ruveyn

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 8:30 pm

According to Genesis 6:

Quote:
When men began to increase in number on the earth and daughters were born to them, the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful, and they married any of them they chose....The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of men and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown.

Now Jesus is regarded as one of God's sons. This was long before he was born. But the Sons of God (apparently Jesus' brothers?) at one time made plenty of hay with the daughters of men. So, the possibility exists that Jesus was also a heterosexual.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 8:33 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:

Whether Jesus liked to screw women or men or merely masturbated is of no concern to me at all.

Are you implying that God masturbates?

According to orthodox Christians, Jesus was God.

ruveyn

Anyone with sexual organs who doesn't masturbate when the need arises is a damned fool. If God has sexual organs and has any intelligence at all He surely masturbates. There are two points. Why would God have sexual organs? And if the history as recorded is true and God is in control then His intellect is surely in question.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 10:41 am

I suppose that there are many who adhere to the dogma that Jesus' genital organs were non-functioning. They were there for show, only, so that he could be circumcised, and so that everyone would know that he was God's only-begotten son (other than the creatures identified in Genesis 6).

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 4:14 pm

Jesus was into bestiality, I tried prayer the other day and asked him and that's what he replied. He made it so that would be an option in the poll so that truth had a chance but still allow free will mistakes like hetero/homosexual and asexual.

You calling Jesus a liar?

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 4:49 pm

Well, finding a contrarian Bible verse would be futile. Replies to prayers trump anything that the Bible might contain.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 4:58 pm

pandabear wrote:
Why would getting married have been against his mission?

Caring for a family would have been a distraction and prevented him from focusing solely on his teaching. It also would have made his sacrafice difficult to follow through with, since he would have known the wife and children were completely dependent on him, and that such a loss would be ruinous for them.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 5:04 pm

pandabear wrote:
I wonder if the people voting "asexual" also think that priests are asexual?

I think I voted asexual mostly because I don't think sexual orientation was relevant to his life and there wasn't an option that said, "who knows, he chose to live without expressing his sexuality."

ANYWAY, I know that priests are not asexual. They choose to suppress it in order to follow what they believe is a higher calling. Some have more trouble with that than others, and some don't fully suppress it - but that is another topic. A dear friend became a priest and he was most definitely a sexual being, just one who made a choice to live a life where it would not be expressed (he did struggle with that part).

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 5:13 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
pandabear wrote:

Caring for a family would have been a distraction and prevented him from focusing solely on his teaching. It also would have made his sacrafice difficult to follow through with, since he would have known the wife and children were completely dependent on him, and that such a loss would be ruinous for them.

He is known to shoot the odd laser at toddlers, so why would he care about his family?

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 5:23 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
pandabear wrote:

From John 19:
Quote:
Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother, his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, "Dear woman, here is your son," and to the disciple, "Here is your mother." From that time on, this disciple took her into his home.

He found a disciple to take care of his mom. He certainly could have done the same for a wife and children.

But the idea of sacrificing his life to take away the sins of the world seems rather silly to begin with.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2010, 5:25 pm

TheOddGoat wrote:
He is known to shoot the odd laser at toddlers, so why would he care about his family?

Huh? I don't understand.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 9:46 am

DW_a_mom wrote:

ANYWAY, I know that priests are not asexual. They choose to suppress it in order to follow what they believe is a higher calling. Some have more trouble with that than others, and some don't fully suppress it - but that is another topic. A dear friend became a priest and he was most definitely a sexual being, just one who made a choice to live a life where it would not be expressed (he did struggle with that part).

I wonder how many of these priests have actually read the Bible?

According to I Timothy 3:

Quote:
A church leader...must have only one wife

(the King James translation uses the word Bishop in place of "church leader").

The Bible doesn't say that a priest must not be married--in fact, he must have one wife.

Quote:
...he must manage his own family well and make his children obey him with all respect. For if a man does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of the Church of God?

A very good point indeed.

I gather that the concept of a formal priesthood wasn't developed for some centuries later, and a celibate priesthood some centuries after that.

Modern priests are just being silly--the Bible specifically commands them to go out and get a wife. Rather than a family distracting from his church work, a family would enhance his abilities to take care of the Church of God.

Being a priest isn't really such hard work that a family would get in the way. Bill Gates worked had at his profession, built an empire, became one of the world's richest men, and still had time for a wife and family. An ordinary priest should be able to do the same.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 9:50 am

pandabear wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

Quote:

The Bible doesn't say that a priest must not be married--in fact, he must have one wife.

Quote:
...he must manage his own family well and make his children obey him with all respect. For if a man does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of the Church of God?

I gather that the concept of a formal priesthood wasn't developed for some centuries later, and a celibate priesthood some centuries after that.

Modern priests are just being silly--the Bible specifically commands them to go out and get a wife. Rather than a family distracting from his church work, a family would enhance his abilities to take care of the Church of God.

Being a priest isn't really such hard work that a family would get in the way. Bill Gates worked had at his profession, built an empire, became one of the world's richest men, and still had time for a wife and family. An ordinary priest should be able to do the same.

Unless he likes little boys.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 2:41 pm

pandabear wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Of course they've read the Bible. But priesthood is about following the institution of the religion, as well as the Bible. If one wants to be a Catholic priest, one must agree to be celebate. I've personally wondered if that was a way to level the playing field and make sexual orientation irrelevant. It doesn't really matter because the Catholic church isn't likely to change the rule any time soon. I don't think it's ever been argued that the reasons for it are entirely Bible based. That doesn't mean it's a silly rule; the church is often thinking in far broader terms than most people realize (it would help if they shared the real reasons more often, but that isn't in the nature of the institution).

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2010, 3:41 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
That doesn't mean it's a silly rule; the church is often thinking in far broader terms than most people realize (it would help if they shared the real reasons more often, but that isn't in the nature of the institution).

I've read into this a little more--apparently priests aren't even supposed to masturbate. Surely you would have to agree that this is silly, and going a tad far.

How are you supposed to take anyone seriously who pontificates that he never masturbates?

Maybe you feel safer about eating the communion wafer this way. But if his stand is "I never masturbate, and you should never use condoms", then who is going to take him seriously? Even birth rates among Catholics aren't what they used to be.