13 year old Yemeni girl dies after marriage consummation

Page 1 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

sefer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Apr 2010, 9:31 pm

Quote:
SANAA: A 13-year-old Yemeni girl who had been forced into marriage died five days after her wedding when she suffered a rupture in her sex organs and haemorrhaging, a local human right's organisation said.

Ilham Mahdi al-Assi died last Friday in al-Thawra hospital in Hajja province, the Shaqaeq Arab Forum for Human Rights said in a statement quoting a medical report.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/yemen-child ... -rvaj.html

But there was just an update to the story:

Quote:
SHUEBA, Yemen (AP) -- A 13-year-old Yemeni child bride who bled to death shortly after marriage was tied down and forced to have sex by her husband, according to interviews with the child's mother, police and medical reports.

The girl's mother, Nijma Ahmed, 50, told the Associated Press that before her daughter lost consciousness, she said that her husband had tied her up and forced himself on her. ''She looked like she was butchered,'' she said about her daughter's injuries.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/04 ... lobal-home

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2010, 10:53 pm

We should all take the time to give thanks to the fact that we don't live in a sh*thole society like this.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 12:48 am

john lennon tartly observed that "woman is the n****r of the world." he said this 40 years ago and nothing much has improved.

monsterland
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 1:14 am

John Lennon was an as*hole.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 1:15 am

auntblabby wrote:
john lennon tartly observed that "woman is the n****r of the world." he said this 40 years ago and nothing much has improved.

QFT. 8)

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 1:41 am

monsterland wrote:

doesn't make what he said wrong. even as*holes can get it right

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 2:40 am

monsterland wrote:

true he was a bit of a bastard but towards the end of his life he was improving. aside from this, even a stopped clock displays the correct time twice daily.

monsterland
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 3:52 am

You people would seriously compare women in modern society to African American slaves?

Good grief. Way to spit in the face of history of slavery, reality, fact, and pretty much everything else.

If John Lennon wasn't a cowardly PC as*hole, he would've said "women are slaves of radical Muslims and their Sharia law". That would've been true and appropriate to say in the context of this news article.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 3:55 am

Pardon me but I don't see a big difference.

Women were slaves and still are in many countries.

monsterland
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 3:58 am

MissConstrue wrote:

Do "many countries" constitute the entire world? Are you a slave ?

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 4:00 am

monsterland wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:

We're not talking about me, we're talking about women in other countries.

monsterland
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 4:02 am

MissConstrue wrote:
monsterland wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:

We're not talking about me, we're talking about women in other countries.

You're being evasive. Do "many countries" constitute the entire world ? Are women slaves in England, America, even Russia ?

For that matter... there are "many countries" where men are slaves too. Why didn't John Lennon say "men are the slaves of the world" ?

Likely, because he was trying to get into a woman's pants.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 4:03 am

I'm not even going to argue with such ignorance. :roll:

monsterland
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 4:10 am

John Lennon freely compared women to slaves. In fact, from the content of his song, it's very clear that he wasn't referring to Sharia law... he was referring to American women. By doing so, he was spitting on the plight of actual slaves in actual slavery everywhere.

The man had a twisted view of reality... in a sense, he was completely disconnected from it.

monsterland
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 5:15 am

MissConstrue wrote:
Women in the west were not always deemed equal in the eyes of men they were afterall the last to vote before the colored men.

And that makes their rights and living conditions equal to those of African American slaves ? For someone who didn't mean to be taken literally, Lennon is pretty explicit in both the title and the lyrics. "Slaves of the slaves" and all that jazz.

Quote:
Also where do you come up with american women? Perhaps you just assume that he was mostly talking about those good for nothing women who got preferential treatment ie same rights as men?

His complaints weren't about women being shackled in the basements for sex trade, or women being forced to wear burkas, or say, female castration. They were the flightly superficial complaints of someone who is surrounded by women in a relatively civilized society. It might not have been America. It might've been England. But it certainly wasn't the Middle East.

Yet he compared their lives to that of a slave. It is a twisted, cynical worldview, partially reflective of how he, in his heart of hearts, perceived women. In a way, Lennon was one of the biggest chauvinist pigs to walk the Earth.

EDIT: oh snap, a stealth delete! Well played :\

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2010, 5:26 am

Descartes wrote:
We should all take the time to give thanks to the fact that we don't live in a sh*thole society like this.

Forgive me, but what's much better about your society? I'm not defending what happened as right, but I suppose you will probably think this is related to this society being Muslim. Actually it's not. These are practices which were already flourishing during Pagan times in Arabia, many thousands of years ago.

monsterland wrote:
If John Lennon wasn't a cowardly PC as*hole, he would've said "women are slaves of radical Muslims and their Sharia law". That would've been true and appropriate to say in the context of this news article.

Thought as much. I knew people would assume the worst. This has got nothing to do with Shariah law. This is just people following a custom which is wrong, but which they feel is right.

There are over a billion Muslims in the world. If this had something to do with Shariah law there would be millions of incidents like this in every corner of the world. However they only occur in certain areas of the world, where most people are uneducated and can't tell the difference about what is Law and what is custom. This again I stress has got nothing to do with Sharia law. Please don't jump to conclusions about a faith you probably know absolutely nothing about.