Do people tend to read the title more than the OP?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 7:58 am

I think that most people are a hybrid between bananas and parakeets. Are you a bananakeet?

Last edited by iamnotaparakeet on 05 May 2010, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 8:09 am

I would tend to agree, Mr. Keet.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Avarice
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 9:02 am

I've noticed this a few times. Not in any specific forum, but it's not hard to see, usually when the title is a joke and the joke is revealed in the post.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 12:17 pm

I couldn't be bothered to read the OP, however, yes, people often will only read the title. I've noticed this on a number of my threads given that I am more likely to have titles that are somewhat bizarre.

McTell
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 12:19 pm

I looked at the title, and immediately thought "yes," before even looking at the OP.

EDIT: I did read the OP, and I always do read OPs, but I cannot help but to start making up my mind about something from my first impression of it (something I imagine is common nature), and in the case of threads on a forum, this first impression would be made by the title.

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 4:27 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
I think that people tend to read the title of a thread more than the opening post, probably due to inherent laziness... even when replying. What do you think?

Maybe there is some way we could test this.

Eg, perhaps you could start a thread entitled "what is your favourite polyhedron?" and then in the OP write "anyone else who posts in this thread is an idiot".

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 6:11 pm

Depends on the topic, if i'm feeling lazy i will read the topic, the OP's post, and then post my own with little to no regard for the last person. <.< (Hey, at least it puts a post back on track...damn derailers! XD)

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 11:40 am

I expected this OP to quickly veer from the topic of the title, so that I could have posted "Yes" to humorously ignore the irony.
Disappointment. :(

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 11:44 am

skysaw wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
I think that people tend to read the title of a thread more than the opening post, probably due to inherent laziness... even when replying. What do you think?

Maybe there is some way we could test this.

Eg, perhaps you could start a thread entitled "what is your favourite polyhedron?" and then in the OP write "anyone else who posts in this thread is an idiot".

I like the dodekahedron. Thanks. :)

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 1:13 pm

PLA wrote:
I expected this OP to quickly veer from the topic of the title, so that I could have posted "Yes" to humorously ignore the irony.

Actually, I had the same hope. The OP and the title were way too similar, as I couldn't even think of a way to appear as if I was doing that.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 1:19 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
PLA wrote:

Actually, I had the same hope. The OP and the title were way too similar, as I couldn't even think of a way to appear as if I was doing that.

Okay, okay, but I was hoping to do that after the second page began since on the first page the opening post is at the top.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 1:50 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Okay, okay, but I was hoping to do that after the second page began since on the first page the opening post is at the top.

Don't worry, the second page will get here.

Not only that, but it would still be interesting to see if this happened even if the opening post was at the top.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 1:56 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Don't worry, the second page will get here.

Not only that, but it would still be interesting to see if this happened even if the opening post was at the top.

Yeah, that would actually be failblog quality there as there would be no excuse.