Page 2 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 7:11 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I hope Shirley Sherrod sues Breitbart's ass off. Say what you will about the current administration's lack of testicular fortitude when it comes to accusations of reverse racism from the right, it was this tea bagging flimflam man who invented the lie, then got the ball rolling.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

How about she sues the people who actually fired her?

She was fired as a result of slander and a misrepresentation of her character. The employer was forced to act due to its very public, very visible position whereas the media that reported on it, acted irresponsibly and the initial perpetrator and the mimics after the initial report should all be held accountable for damage to her character and lost wages not to mention emotional distress.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 12:08 am

does quoting someone out of context, even egregiously out of context, legally count as slander?

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 12:17 am

LKL wrote:
does quoting someone out of context, even egregiously out of context, legally count as slander?

Not sure about slander but there was most certainly a defamation of character going on.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

26 Jul 2010, 10:09 am

skafather84 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I hope Shirley Sherrod sues Breitbart's ass off. Say what you will about the current administration's lack of testicular fortitude when it comes to accusations of reverse racism from the right, it was this tea bagging flimflam man who invented the lie, then got the ball rolling.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

How about she sues the people who actually fired her?

She was fired as a result of slander and a misrepresentation of her character. The employer was forced to act due to its very public, very visible position whereas the media that reported on it, acted irresponsibly and the initial perpetrator and the mimics after the initial report should all be held accountable for damage to her character and lost wages not to mention emotional distress.

The administration wasn't forced to do anything. They wanted to kill the story before it began and jumped the gun. They obviously didn't want another Van Jones/Anita Dunn/etc. person to that a guy like Glenn Beck could use to tear them down for months. Ironically, Beck was the first one to defend her.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 12:04 pm

LKL wrote:

If you do it in a deliberately misleading way with the express intent of causing harm to that person (in this case, costing someone their job) then yes, it sure as hell does count as libel or slander.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 12:30 pm

Jacoby wrote:
The administration wasn't forced to do anything.

Yes they were. Don't even pretend otherwise. Fox News would STILL be running stories to this day about how she's a racist if they hadn't released her.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 12:42 pm

skafather84 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

Yes they were. Don't even pretend otherwise. Fox News would STILL be running stories to this day about how she's a racist if they hadn't released her.

They still are, but the administration should have had the guts to stand up to Fox for once.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 12:53 pm

Orwell wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

They still are, but the administration should have had the guts to stand up to Fox for once.

You can't fight the white people.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 1:00 pm

Orwell wrote:
LKL wrote:

If you do it in a deliberately misleading way with the express intent of causing harm to that person (in this case, costing someone their job) then yes, it sure as hell does count as libel or slander.

if that's the case, then yes: I hope she sues him for every last cent he owns.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 3:53 pm

skafather84 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

:lol:

God help us with with Iran if the administration can't deal with Fox News and Glenn Beck.

They weren't forced to do anything. Nobody had a gun to their head.The story broke on early June 19th and she was fired... I mean resigned before the evening news came on. The whole Fox News crying is pretty hilarious as if the other news channels didn't run with it. Even the NAACP took a dump on her. The actual damage done was from her being fired.

She really doesn't have much of a case for a libel suit either imo. It was her own words and she's a public figure. You have to prove malicious intent too. I just don't see it happening. Bigger lies have been made up about more important people. Remember the whole John McCain affair thing in the New York Times? The whole thing is just a big distraction from whats going on right now. Who gives a crap about the head of the USDA? Isn't the worst ecological disaster in US history going on in the gulf?

The only people obsessed with race are the media.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 4:19 pm

The Republican National Committee is inviting Breitbart to its next shindig. This proves further their culpability in his phony videos. Rahm Emanuel also must be exposed for his role in firing Sherrod - apparently he feared that the story would be run by Glenn Beck and wanted to fire her before that happened. Emanuel also watered down the stimulus so if the economy is going down the toilet we know who to blame.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 7:52 pm

Jacoby wrote:
God help us with with Iran if the administration can't deal with Fox News and Glenn Beck.

There's that Fox News brainwashing. Iran isn't a problem. They aren't a threat.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 8:26 pm

skafather84 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

What are you talking about?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 9:12 pm

Jacoby wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

What are you talking about?

Iran does not have any credible nuclear weapons program. For all of Ahmedinejad's grandstanding, they aren't really that powerful or that serious a threat to anyone, certainly not to the United States.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 10:49 pm

LKL wrote:
Orwell wrote:
LKL wrote:

For what, misleading blogging? .The only "editing" done to that video was cutting out a snippet that sounded bad out of context, and if that was illegal Michael Moore would have been put to death after Bowling for Columbine was released, not to even get started on the vast majority of political ads. Seriously people, you don't get to decide that free speech doesn't apply just because someone uses it to promote something you disagree with, especially when the real crime was the snap decision by the feds to fire someone without even vetting the ostensible reason for the firing. This would have been nothing more than a political hack trying to make a point and coming up short if the administration hadn't lost it's collective mind and fired first and asked questions later, and it's quite rightly them with egg on their face.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 11:54 pm

Dox47 wrote:
LKL wrote:
Orwell wrote:
LKL wrote:

For what, misleading blogging? .The only "editing" done to that video was cutting out a snippet that sounded bad out of context, and if that was illegal Michael Moore would have been put to death after Bowling for Columbine was released, not to even get started on the vast majority of political ads. Seriously people, you don't get to decide that free speech doesn't apply just because someone uses it to promote something you disagree with, especially when the real crime was the snap decision by the feds to fire someone without even vetting the ostensible reason for the firing. This would have been nothing more than a political hack trying to make a point and coming up short if the administration hadn't lost it's collective mind and fired first and asked questions later, and it's quite rightly them with egg on their face.

Quit deflecting and saying "well someone on YOUR side did it" and acting like as if that makes it any better. I'm against Michael Moore and actually did a report against that movie when I was in school because it was so poorly done and so wrong. The fact still remains that Brietbart willingly and knowingly falsely accused someone of racism. Ironically enough, this guy is most likely a racist when you consider his history and how he's portrayed other such situations before (like the video where he tried to show it as a black congregation praying to Obama).

And there's a big difference between an (albeit false) exposition against an entire industry and a targeted against against an individual.

Oh yeah...and as far as carrying goes: my neighbor's gun was stolen from their car. I feel entirely less safe: a) because they're morons who own a gun but don't know how to be responsible for it and b) because now the petty criminals who have been doing petty acts of theft now have a gun. Those neighbors not having a gun would have been much safer for me and my community than their having it.