skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 2:02 pm

ruveyn wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
KaiG wrote:
Soldiers are just tools, it's the people who control them who should be held accountable.

If it were not for soldiers, I would have ended up as a cake of soap on some Nazi's bathtub.

ruveyn

Didn't realize you're originally from Europe.

Without our soldiers the U.S. would have been defeated and occupied by either the Nazis or the the Japanese and possibly both. The U.S. military saved the U.S.

ruveyn

Russia disagrees with your perception of who REALLY won that war against Germany.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 2:10 pm

skafather84 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
KaiG wrote:
Soldiers are just tools, it's the people who control them who should be held accountable.

If it were not for soldiers, I would have ended up as a cake of soap on some Nazi's bathtub.

ruveyn

Without our soldiers the U.S. would have been defeated and occupied by either the Nazis or the the Japanese and possibly both. The U.S. military saved the U.S.

ruveyn

Russia disagrees with your perception of who REALLY won that war against Germany.

Yeah, but they won the war against Japan by dropping an atomic bomb on a city of innocent people where the survivors of the blast died agonizing deaths due to radiation. Kind of ironic when you think about it, given how the US has tried their damnest to keep other countries from using atomic bombs.

deadeyexx
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 2:12 pm

skafather84 wrote:

True, Russia did do the bulk of the work. But there's no way they would have had enough breathing room to counter if there wasn't so much pressure on the Western front.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 2:22 pm

deadeyexx wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

True, Russia did do the bulk of the work. But there's no way they would have had enough breathing room to counter if there wasn't so much pressure on the Western front.

True but the western front was more solidified by Hitler ceasing the bombings on London. If the bombings had continued, the US's ability to contribute would have been greatly hurt.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

flipflopjenkins
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Aug 2010, 5:46 pm

ruveyn wrote:
KaiG wrote:

ruveyn

Even the Yad Vashem museum admits that the stories about Nazis making soap from Jewish corpses are a load of crap. They still blame the Nazis for spreading the rumour though. Quelle surprise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soap_made_from_human_corpses

Soap made from human corpses
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

During World War II it was widely believed that soap was being mass produced from the bodies of Jewish concentration camp victims. The Yad Vashem Memorial has stated that the Nazis did not produce soap from Jewish corpses on an industrial scale, saying that rumors that soap from human corpses was being mass-produced and distributed were used by the Nazis to frighten camp inmates.

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 6:02 pm

flipflopjenkins wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
KaiG wrote:

ruveyn

Even the Yad Vashem museum admits that the stories about Nazis making soap from Jewish corpses are a load of crap. They still blame the Nazis for spreading the rumour though. Quelle surprise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soap_made_from_human_corpses

Soap made from human corpses
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

During World War II it was widely believed that soap was being mass produced from the bodies of Jewish concentration camp victims. The Yad Vashem Memorial has stated that the Nazis did not produce soap from Jewish corpses on an industrial scale, saying that rumors that soap from human corpses was being mass-produced and distributed were used by the Nazis to frighten camp inmates.

Well even if they didn't produce soap from Jewish Corpses, that's still pretty cruel of them to make their prisoners think that before they gased them. I dislike any millitary group that sadistically tortures and kills POWs, especially if most of them are unarmed civilians who's only crime was being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

It amazes me how cruel soldiers can be to people that willingly surrender in the battlefield or to those who weren't even fighting them but got captured anyways just for being in the country of the enemy nation. And the soldiers always seem to sugarcoat it in some way. Like during the American Civil War when our history books in school said that the all-so-merciful Union Soldiers "felt sorry" for the Confederate Prisoners and gave them food and clothing after they were captured, then I find out from other sources that the Union were no less hostile and abusive to their prisoners then the South was. Their prisoners were still beaten and even exposed to diseases that killed most of them off.

danieltaiwan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Aug 2010, 6:11 pm

GreySun369 wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
KaiG wrote:

ruveyn

ruveyn

Yeah, but they won the war against Japan by dropping an atomic bomb on a city of innocent people where the survivors of the blast died agonizing deaths due to radiation. Kind of ironic when you think about it, given how the US has tried their damnest to keep other countries from using atomic bombs.

If the atomic bomb wasn't dropped I wouldn't probably exist :( Japan committed horrible atrocities in World War II such as purposely starving the Chinese, Korean, Filipino Peoples and using and testing biological weapons on them Google Unit 731 and Rape of Nanking. On the American part of my family my grandfather was a paratrooper and he was about to be deployed to Japan, but the bomb ended the war. The Japanese people were propagandized into a state where they trained women and children to attack Americans with bamboo spears. The dropping of the bomb was evil but I've got to say quite frankly a necessary evil at the time.

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 6:19 pm

danieltaiwan wrote:
GreySun369 wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
KaiG wrote:

ruveyn

ruveyn

If the atomic bomb wasn't dropped I wouldn't probably exist :( Japan committed horrible atrocities in World War II such as purposely starving the Chinese, Korean, Filipino Peoples and using and testing biological weapons on them Google Unit 731 and Rape of Nanking. On the American part of my family my grandfather was a paratrooper and he was about to be deployed to Japan, but the bomb ended the war. The Japanese people were propagandized into a state where they trained women and children to attack Americans with bamboo spears. The dropping of the bomb was evil but I've got to say quite frankly a necessary evil at the time.

Well you're right, the Japanese did do some pretty horrible things during the war. But it's not like we were that nice to them either, since we imprisoned Japanese-American civilians in Detention Camps just for being Japanese, and did little to help them get back on their feet until many years later after the war ended. What I find amazing though is that the Japanese don't really seem to hold a grudge against us for the imprisonment or dropping an atomic bomb on their cities. You may have a few Animes and Mangas that make us Americans look like crazy idiots (Read or Die comes to mind), but they've proven that they really just want peace and to rebuild their country which they've managed to do. It's nice that we have such a friendly mutual relationship with a country that we were once bitter enemies with, proving it's not impossible.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 6:25 pm

danieltaiwan wrote:
GreySun369 wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
KaiG wrote:

ruveyn

ruveyn

The Emperor of Japan understood by 1944 that the war was lost. He changed governments and the mandate of the new Japanese government was to negotiate a peace treaty with the U.S. with a fundamental condition that the Emperor remain on the thrown and avoid a trial as a war criminal.

General, later President, Dwight D. Eisenhower opposed dropping the A bomb. “Japan was at the moment seeking some way to surrender with minimum loss of 'face'. It wasn't necessary to hit them with that awful thing.”

Admiral William D. Leahy, Former Chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said, “The use of this barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against the Japanese...already defeated and ready to surrender. ...in being the first to use it, we had adopted an ethical standard common to the barbarians of the Dark Ages. I was taught not to make war in that fashion, and wars cannot be won by destroying woman and children.”

GreySun369
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 7:43 pm

I decided to delete my old post, because I feel like I was being too overly cynical, and because I feel like a hypocrite for saying I don't hate my country yet continuing to talk bad about it. I need to learn to be more level-headed.

The point of this topic was that Americans themselves tend to have a bad habbit of "looking the other way" when it comes to their government. Sometimes it's because the government does feed them so much propoganda, but other times it's simply because they refuse to think for themselves and learn about the world when the opportunity is given to them. But even with all of America's flaws, it's still a country like any other full of regular people who are just trying to live their lives. And the Government may have done a lot of horrible and unforgivable things, but every country's government has made horrible mistakes too. The point is for the governments and the people to learn from those mistakes and try to do better. I think the biggest problem with America is that it's simply a younger nation compared to most, and hasen't experinced as much suffering and difficult times as the older nations. Maybe when America starts becoming the recieving end of war more often or they are faced with unavoidable tragedies that they realize they're responsible for and have to fix, then they'll regain some humility. :)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 9:31 pm

Sand wrote:

Admiral William D. Leahy, Former Chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said, “The use of this barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against the Japanese...already defeated and ready to surrender. ...in being the first to use it, we had adopted an ethical standard common to the barbarians of the Dark Ages. I was taught not to make war in that fashion, and wars cannot be won by destroying woman and children.”

If the battle of Okinawa was an indication, the Japanese war hawks would have had citizens fight Allied troops with sharpened bamboo spears. In short a battle to the death.

As it was, there was an attempted coup to prevent Hirohito from making his command to surrender. The coup failed. Had it succeeded, bomb or no bomb the U.S. would have had to invade Japan. The bomb rattled Hirohito sufficiently to threw in the towel, so the bomb was of some use. While it cost Japanese lives, it saved many more. But most importantly, it made an invasion of Japan unnecessary.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 12:48 am

ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:

If the battle of Okinawa was an indication, the Japanese war hawks would have had citizens fight Allied troops with sharpened bamboo spears. In short a battle to the death.

As it was, there was an attempted coup to prevent Hirohito from making his command to surrender. The coup failed. Had it succeeded, bomb or no bomb the U.S. would have had to invade Japan. The bomb rattled Hirohito sufficiently to threw in the towel, so the bomb was of some use. While it cost Japanese lives, it saved many more. But most importantly, it made an invasion of Japan unnecessary.

ruveyn

Your many recorded posts delighting in the possibility of incinerating innocent humans, Japanese or Muslim or otherwise, through atomic weapons, is a clear indication of your basic vicious outlook. If I am to choose on who is better informed on the matter I must find Eisenhower and other officials more informed in the matter and certainly more humane.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 9:57 am

Sand wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:

ruveyn

Your many recorded posts delighting in the possibility of incinerating innocent humans, Japanese or Muslim or otherwise, through atomic weapons, is a clear indication of your basic vicious outlook. If I am to choose on who is better informed on the matter I must find Eisenhower and other officials more informed in the matter and certainly more humane.

Eisenhower certainly had a more balanced worldview.

I find it odd for someone who didn't live in Europe to repeatedly state that he could have been made into a bar of soap. But regardless of historic hardships, one cannot let a paranoid worldview inform their beliefs or else they'll fall to such viciousness and overreact to every infraction.

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 1:13 am

Skafather speaks truly, peace j

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 1:19 am

Everyone in the developed world is brainwashed.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 3:55 am

RedHanrahan wrote:
Skafather speaks truly, peace j

I try to but most can't be bothered because they're too busy trying to prove themselves a man and prove that their phallic prowess is all that they claim it to be.