Racism has two irrational elements: both hatred and love

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Hanotaux
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2010, 1:53 pm

Quote:
Normally, racism is considered a social problem when it leads people to discriminate negatively, persecute, or physically harm other people. So while saying "[insert ethnicity here] people are [insert positive trait here]" is just as fallacious as saying "[insert ethnicity here] people are [insert negative trait here]" the latter is usually the one about which we should be more concerned.

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
It is more than a motivation for persecution, it is also a motivation for disproportionate preferential treatment. Both are wrong.

It is much more often a motivation for persecution. I'm actually trying to think of examples of positive racial stereotypes used as a motive for disproportionate preferential treatment... I mean, affirmative action is preferential treatment, but it's based on an attempt to correct for persecution rather than a belief that minorities are better at some things.

Continuing to offer preferences for any groups will just keep perpetuating the cycles of hatred and jealousy.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 6:09 pm

Sand wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Racism is a form of reductionism. It is also a way of confounding the accidental and the essential.

It is, in dry neutral terms, a serious category error.

Many Liberals who express concern and woe for darker skin people are as racist (in the above sense) as the bigots who think persons with much melanin in their skins are sub-human animals.

ruveyn

Your assumption is, of course, that dark skinned people do not deserve protection and compensation from the obvious racism that has persecuted them. The same, of course, applies to Jews who have been persecuted for centuries, just as have dark skinned people.

Not so. In an ethical social order, people should be protected against unjust and arbitrary treatment. Remedies should exist in the system to either prevent such practices or compensate the victims of such practices, hopefully at the expense of those committing the injustice.

You really like to jump to conclusions, don't you?

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 7:20 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Racism is a form of reductionism. It is also a way of confounding the accidental and the essential.

It is, in dry neutral terms, a serious category error.

Many Liberals who express concern and woe for darker skin people are as racist (in the above sense) as the bigots who think persons with much melanin in their skins are sub-human animals.

ruveyn

Your assumption is, of course, that dark skinned people do not deserve protection and compensation from the obvious racism that has persecuted them. The same, of course, applies to Jews who have been persecuted for centuries, just as have dark skinned people.

Not so. In an ethical social order, people should be protected against unjust and arbitrary treatment. Remedies should exist in the system to either prevent such practices or compensate the victims of such practices, hopefully at the expense of those committing the injustice.

You really like to jump to conclusions, don't you?

ruveyn

Your words
Quote:

Does that make you a racist insofar as Jews are concerned?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 7:31 pm

Sand wrote:

Does that make you a racist insofar as Jews are concerned?

Not particularly. Jews have a special heritage for historical reasons but biologically they are of the same mutt species as the rest of the human race. We all bleed red blood when pierced or cut. We are all hairless apes with a high opinion of ourselves.
ruveyn

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 7:51 pm

Hanotaux wrote:
Continuing to offer preferences for any groups will just keep perpetuating the cycles of hatred and jealousy.

Which is a significant part of why I think racially-based affirmative action programs are bad policy. But they do not meet the definition of "racism" put forward by iamnotaparakeet.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 8:02 pm

Orwell wrote:
Hanotaux wrote:

Which is a significant part of why I think racially-based affirmative action programs are bad policy. But they do not meet the definition of "racism" put forward by iamnotaparakeet.

If we are going to have affirmative action or outreach we should base it on cultural conditions rather than on the accident of biological inheritance.

Personally I am inclined toward the "Let'em Croak" school of thought, but that is just me. I do not think I can offer a serious defense of that inclination. I am just nasty, that's all.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 8:09 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Hanotaux wrote:

If we are going to have affirmative action or outreach we should base it on cultural conditions rather than on the accident of biological inheritance.

Personally I am inclined toward the "Let'em Croak" school of thought, but that is just me. I do not think I can offer a serious defense of that inclination. I am just nasty, that's all.

ruveyn

The problem with "let em croak" becomes personal when "em" become "me". We are all "em".

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2010, 8:21 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Hanotaux wrote:

I concur. Whites as well as blacks get screwed over by the dismal failure of our inner-city schools. Whites as well as blacks are occasionally born into privilege and opportunity that they did nothing to "deserve." Affirmative action would make all the sense in the world if it were based on something less arbitrary than race.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 9:01 am

Sand wrote:

The problem with "let em croak" becomes personal when "em" become "me". We are all "em".

Wrong. The little babies broiled alive in Hiroshima were not my kin. In a war there is Us and there is Them and that is a big difference. You will notice we (US) always aim our guns at Them.

The ruling class of Japan sowed the wind and the little babies broiled alive reaped the whirlwind. That is the way it goes. In this world there is too much law and too little justice.

ruveyn

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 3:29 pm

Racism has one aspect: laziness. The inability to actually think beyond what you see in front of you and treat them as if they're a person.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 3:02 am

skafather84 wrote:
Racism has one aspect: laziness. The inability to actually think beyond what you see in front of you and treat them as if they're a person.

So, what of people who give undue favoritism on the basis of "what they see" alone?

How is the phrase "all indigo people are awesome" any less lazy and stupid than "all indigo people are awful"?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 3:06 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

So, what of people who give undue favoritism on the basis of "what they see" alone?

How is the phrase "all indigo people are awesome" any less lazy and stupid than "all indigo people are awful"?

I sincerely doubt that a great many whites or other groups view black people as awesome merely from being black.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 3:08 am

Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

I sincerely doubt that a great many whites or other groups view black people as awesome merely from being black.

I've met a few actually.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 5:02 am

Sand wrote:

How about white women dating black men? I suppose some sort of stereotype might be there, in some cases.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 10:07 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

Did I ever say it wasn't? Treating them as something more is just as bad as treating them as something less.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 10:10 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

I've met a few actually.

Same here. But I tend to come across more people who view black people negatively rather than in an overly positive manner.