Did Eve and Adam ever repent of their despicable sin?

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2010, 11:33 am

Did Eve and Adam from the Old Testament of the Bible ever repent of their sin and wish they had avoided eating the forbidden organic apple in the Garden of Eden?

If Eve and Adam had to do it all over, would they have refrained from eating the forbidden organic apple?

Did Eve and Adam ever repent of having conversations with talking snakes in the Garden of Paradise?

----

Question:

Does Harry Potter talk with snakes?

Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter (Sorcerer's Stone - Book 1 of the HP series)

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 2:50 am

Adam and Eve were literally "born yesterday".

They didn't know the difference between right and wrong until they ate from the tree.

God put the tree smack in the middle of the garden and sent/allowed the serpent to tempt Eve.

Do you think God didn't know this was going to happen? God knows everything!

So God set them up to fail and then told them that they and all their decedents deserved to live in pain and then go to hell.

Isn't God great?

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 4:28 am

God's a bit of a ret*d isn't he, putting that tree there in the first place.

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 4:41 am

"he"?

How do you know he's a man?
A guy?
A boy?
Whatever.

A he?

... A question, a grammatical one: life in English, is it a feminine or a masculine word?

:roll:
... I have my little dictionary, I'll look in it!
Don't bother to answer :)

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 6:18 am

According to the Bible, God sent Jesus to repent for them. Obviously, being personally sorry about something God set you up to do doesn't count. The 'Almighty' God needs a middle-man - who is also God. Confusing much?

Last edited by puddingmouse on 20 Sep 2010, 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Sep 2010, 10:38 am

pgd wrote:
Did Eve and Adam from the Old Testament of the Bible ever repent of their sin

No. Their sin was irreversible. Adam and Eve were perfect, flawless, unblemished in God's eyes. When they sinned they became imperfect. That imperfection was past down to their children like a trait, and thus it spread from generation to generation. I like how Romans 5:12 succinctly puts it: "Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned." That's why it took Jesus Christ, and only Jesus, to offer his life in exchange for Adam's sin. Jesus was born a perfect human being, completely free of the mortal stain of sin. Jesus was Adam's counterpart.

pgd wrote:
and wish they had avoided eating the forbidden organic apple in the Garden of Eden?

I don't know but they likely had regrets after their children were born and their life became very difficult outside the garden.

pgd wrote:
If Eve and Adam had to do it all over, would they have refrained from eating the forbidden organic apple?

Could you guys stop saying "apple?" It was a "fruit tree." No one knows what type of fruit. For all we know the fruit could have been a pomegranate. All I know is Adam and Eve were selfish and didn't care about how their actions would harm their children, and all future generations. As far as I'm concerned Adam and Eve screwed everything up.

pgd wrote:
Did Eve and Adam ever repent of having conversations with talking snakes in the Garden of Paradise?

No clue.

The former things have passed away."

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 6:16 pm

zena4 wrote:
"he"?

How do you know he's a man?
A guy?
A boy?
Whatever.

A he?

"God created man in his own image" there you go.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 6:22 pm

pgd wrote:
Did Eve and Adam from the Old Testament of the Bible ever repent of their sin and wish they had avoided eating the forbidden organic apple in the Garden of Eden?

If they missed the way their life was before, then yes, they would have regretted having done so.

Quote:

I'm not sure about Adam, would he let Eve to face the consequences just by herself? if he would not, then he is an idiot :P

Quote:

Eve, probably.

Quote:

Yes, I saw him do that, twice.

Chevand
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 6:57 pm

kxmode wrote:
No. Their sin was irreversible. Adam and Eve were perfect, flawless, unblemished in God's eyes. When they sinned they became imperfect. That imperfection was past down to their children like a trait, and thus it spread from generation to generation. I like how Romans 5:12 succinctly puts it: "Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned." That's why it took Jesus Christ, and only Jesus, to offer his life in exchange for Adam's sin. Jesus was born a perfect human being, completely free of the mortal stain of sin. Jesus was Adam's counterpart.

Maybe you can explain something to me, because I don't understand this. How can something which is created to be perfect become imperfect in the first place? Perfection is inherently infallible, is it not? If, theoretically, man was created perfect, wouldn't the possibility of Adam and Eve eating the forbidden fruit have been nil? Wouldn't God's warning to them have been a wholly moot point?

The way I see it, there are two lenses through which the story of original sin can be viewed, and I think both have their own problems. The first is through the lens of free will: Adam and Eve exercised free will, and chose to eat the fruit, thus disobeying God's decree. But if God is truly omniscient, then He obviously would have known that free will would ultimately lead Adam and Eve astray-- so why would He have given us the free will to disobey Him, if He knew all along it would result in man being ejected from Eden, and being made to suffer?

The other way of looking at the story is through the lens of fate: Adam and Eve had no free will, they were fated to eat the fruit. But then, what is the point of even placing Adam and Eve in Eden in the first place? If God knew man would end up suffering anyway, why wouldn't He forgo all of that business about forbidden fruits altogether?

Wouldn't it be entirely within God's power to create humans who truly would have resisted the temptation of the serpent, and who would have remained in Eden? Isn't that a far better existence than the one that occurred?

jdbob
Toucan
Toucan

20 Sep 2010, 7:24 pm

Since it's just a fairy-tale just make up your own answer.

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 7:33 pm

pgd wrote:
----

Question:

Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter (Sorcerer's Stone - Book 1 of the HP series)

Harry Potter only could talk to snakes because of the horcrux that was created when Voldemort tried to kill him - once it was removed he could no longer talk to snakes.
Also, apples are evil - you know why an apple a day keeps doctors away? It's because by eating an apple you've sent yourself to hell, and there's no point in trying to save you.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 7:38 pm

jdbob wrote:
Since it's just a fairy-tale just make up your own answer.

:idea:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2010, 8:28 pm

What despicable sin? Learning Good from Evil?

ruveyn

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2010, 4:24 am

"organic apples"? you make it sound like adam and eve buy their groceries at whole foods.

greenblue wrote:
"God created man in his own image" there you go.

i think thats a bit of a stretch considering the verse is a translation of a language that has no gender neutral terms. energy has no gender yet in certain languages is feminine.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2010, 5:15 am

MissConstrue wrote:

:idea:

Very awesome. *Gives cat goddess some catnip*

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2010, 6:20 am

ruveyn wrote:
What despicable sin? Learning Good from Evil?
ruveyn

When Adam and Eve learned "good" from "evil" the first thing they did was to cover their private parts with fig leaves.

They were the only people in the world! Does this mean it is "evil" for me to see my wife naked?

Perhaps it is. If I was a Mormon both my wife and I would have to wear "the garment" with a little hole in the front tough which we could have sex without seeing or touching each other.