Page 2 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Quartz11
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2010, 7:30 pm

I'm currently registered as a Democrat, but there are plenty of Democrats I dislike. I have a strong distrust of all politicians, and have frequently voted for third parties.

I'll probably vote for a couple third party candidates in a couple weeks myself, because it's better than Self-absorbed D vs. Evil R.

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2010, 3:14 pm

I live an very liberal state in a ultra liberal region - think Nancy Pelosi, Barbara Boxer/Lee, George Miller and their cronies. I think neo-liberals are hypocrites, they say they are for the commoner. But in reality they're dolts for the unions, their rich donors from San Francisco/Marin/Berkeley/Oakland Hills, and the special interests that are coattails for both parties. I'm probably voting for Meg Whitman for governor - even though I don't think of her highly, Jerry Brown's pretty incompetent - Oakland was bad when he ran it and it still is. I'm also voting Carly Fiorina for senate, because even though she's endorsed by Sarah Palin(a person who I liken to Lady Gaga but for politics) she's better than bitter old tired Boxer, and George Miller I'll vote out.

There are some things the Democrats push for I will support, but I'm not a fan of their view of the government being best and their tax-happy stances. And to the person saying something about SSI and Medicaid/Medicare, if you're disabled and using government assistance to better your life, all the power to you. However, if you're a professional welfare queen leeching off Medicaid, Food Stamps and welfare I do have a problem.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 1:19 am

Tensu wrote:
My worst fear was that we had descended into an era where people where blindly loyal to their respective parties.

I knew that this was already largly the case with republicans, but now I see it seems to be the case with democrats too, just as I had feared.

dark days are ahead.

what do you mean by "blindly loyal"? i cast my lot with the dems because the repubs offer me nothing but disenfranchisement.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 1:21 am

nthach wrote:
if you're a professional welfare queen leeching off Medicaid, Food Stamps and welfare I do have a problem.

are you an equal-opportunity hater of the welfare kings as well? [IOW corporate ripoff artists]

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 1:35 am

Dox47 wrote:
Like rats from a sinking ship...

A) Nice way to avoid "linguistic trickery" and "engineered language".
B) When were the Dixiecrats ever on the Obama ship?

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 1:46 am

Don't worry, to counteract the conservatism of the Southern Democrats, Southern Republicans are full of ultraliberals like this guy - with his notoriously, almost Marxian belief that "evolution is true" and "the bible is only partially true"!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlAjTQO11V0[/youtube]

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 2:03 am

Master_Pedant wrote:
Don't worry, to counteract the conservatism of the Southern Democrats, Southern Republicans are full of ultraliberals like this guy - with his notoriously, almost Marxian belief that "evolution is true" and "the bible is only partially true"!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlAjTQO11V0[/youtube]

:pale: :shaking: :help: :cry: :pale: :shaking: :help: :cry:

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 6:10 am

Master_Pedant wrote:
A) Nice way to avoid "linguistic trickery" and "engineered language".
B) When were the Dixiecrats ever on the Obama ship?

Given the amount of time you seem to be devoting to digging through my posts; does the term "rope-a-dope" mean anything to you? I mean the very fact that you're working this hard to splash mud on me sort of speaks to the difficulty of impeaching my views through more direct means, not to mention what it says about you.

Also, where did I invent any new words in that single sentence post? How did I frame things in such a way as to project a preordained conclusion? I simply used a very common, if unflattering analogy to describe politicians abandoning an ideology that's taking on water right now.

Maybe you ought to leave this political attack dog thing to the professionals, you're not very good at it.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 9:02 am

auntblabby wrote:
nthach wrote:
if you're a professional welfare queen leeching off Medicaid, Food Stamps and welfare I do have a problem.

are you an equal-opportunity hater of the welfare kings as well? [IOW corporate ripoff artists]

But leeching welfare queen sounds so much worse than corporate tax loophole. Let's go after the folks living it up in the projects, but leave the vacationing jet-setters alone!

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 10:38 am

Dox47 wrote:
Given the amount of time you seem to be devoting to digging through my posts; does the term "rope-a-dope" mean anything to you? I mean the very fact that you're working this hard to splash mud on me sort of speaks to the difficulty of impeaching my views through more direct means, not to mention what it says about you.

Also, where did I invent any new words in that single sentence post? How did I frame things in such a way as to project a preordained conclusion? I simply used a very common, if unflattering analogy to describe politicians abandoning an ideology that's taking on water right now.

Maybe you ought to leave this political attack dog thing to the professionals, you're not very good at it.

1) I don't "dig" through your posts. I simply read threads and notice that you violate your own prohbitions in a lot of them.
2) The "unflattering analogy" is pretty bloody loaded - "rats from a sinking ship" and is an engineered phrase, even if one that wasn't engineered by you in particular.
3) I have attacked many of your points (as I did in the "unabashed vs. reticient liberalism" thread).

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 1:16 pm

number5 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
nthach wrote:

But leeching welfare queen sounds so much worse than corporate tax loophole. Let's go after the folks living it up in the projects, but leave the vacationing jet-setters alone!

Them too I have equal hate for. It's time for businesses to pay their fair share and for government to NOT bailout private enterprise. The reason why Herr Obama bailed out GM and Chrysler is because the UAW gave his campaign millions. The bank bailouts is because Biden hails from Delaware, a state that is business friendly - and many businesses have their corporate charters there - yes, Bank of America/Chase/WaMu/Wells Fargo/Lehman Brothers, etc are charted in Delaware. I think businesses need to move away from the shareholder theory onto the stakeholder and social responsiblity theory.

The Chinese, Indians and Russians should have bought out GM and Chrysler and put them out of their misery.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 4:49 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
1) I don't "dig" through your posts. I simply read threads and notice that you violate your own prohbitions in a lot of them.
2) The "unflattering analogy" is pretty bloody loaded - "rats from a sinking ship" and is an engineered phrase, even if one that wasn't engineered by you in particular.
3) I have attacked many of your points (as I did in the "unabashed vs. reticient liberalism" thread).

In that Unabashed Liberalism thread, you dug up posts of mine that were over a year old in order to attack me personally like you're doing here, and let's not forget your frequent referencing of the whole Assassination Politics thing which is also over a year old, not to mention deleted from the forum and thus total hearsay at this point. If your points were so strong, you wouldn't need to attack the person who's disputing them in order to defend them; I talk about the topic of discussion while you seem to prefer to talk about me, it's sort of creepy actually. I'd explain what else is wrong with your post here, but I'm getting the distinct impression that I'd be wasting my time, which frankly you're not worth.. Maybe when I'm in a better mood I'll explain the difference between using non-neutral language in moderation vs saturating every paragraph with it, a distinction that seems utterly beyond you at this particular juncture.

Quartz11
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2010, 5:13 pm

nthach wrote:
I live an very liberal state in a ultra liberal region - think Nancy Pelosi, Barbara Boxer/Lee, George Miller and their cronies. I think neo-liberals are hypocrites, they say they are for the commoner. But in reality they're dolts for the unions, their rich donors from San Francisco/Marin/Berkeley/Oakland Hills, and the special interests that are coattails for both parties. I'm probably voting for Meg Whitman for governor - even though I don't think of her highly, Jerry Brown's pretty incompetent - Oakland was bad when he ran it and it still is. I'm also voting Carly Fiorina for senate, because even though she's endorsed by Sarah Palin(a person who I liken to Lady Gaga but for politics) she's better than bitter old tired Boxer, and George Miller I'll vote out.

There are some things the Democrats push for I will support, but I'm not a fan of their view of the government being best and their tax-happy stances. And to the person saying something about SSI and Medicaid/Medicare, if you're disabled and using government assistance to better your life, all the power to you. However, if you're a professional welfare queen leeching off Medicaid, Food Stamps and welfare I do have a problem.

So then if you are part liberal or moderate, the answer would be choosing better Democrats, not choosing conservative Republicans you don't have so much in common with... right?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2010, 12:05 am

nthach wrote:
I think businesses need to move away from the shareholder theory onto the stakeholder and social responsiblity theory.

the green eyeshades bunch will only go for social responsibility when they're damned good and ready for it, IOW when they are backed into a corner and forced into better behavior.

nthach
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2010, 12:17 am

Quartz11 wrote:
nthach wrote:

So then if you are part liberal or moderate, the answer would be choosing better Democrats, not choosing conservative Republicans you don't have so much in common with... right?

No such thing as moderate Democrats in the Bay Area. The Democrats here are all Prius driving, Whole Foods shopping, ignorant SOBs.

I know Bill Lockyer, John Chiang, Ellen Tauscher, and Dianne Feinstein have their heads screwed on right. Barbara Boxer/Lee, Nancy Pelosi, George Miller, Mike Honda and almost all the Californian delegation in Congress are all ninnies.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2010, 1:00 am

Dennis Kucinich has his head screwed on right.

And probably gets his screw on right too:

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson