Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 9:18 pm

why or why not?

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 9:23 pm

I'd rather keep social security. I wouldn't mind my tax-paying dollars going toward helping people in need.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 9:37 pm

Descartes wrote:
I'd rather keep social security. I wouldn't mind my tax-paying dollars going toward helping people in need.

True, though we need some type of safeguards to stop it from being used as an illegal alien pension plan.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

mcg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 9:42 pm

John_Browning wrote:
Descartes wrote:

True, though we need some type of safeguards to stop it from being used as an illegal alien pension plan.

Illegal aliens don't get social security, though most of them still pay taxes for it.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 10:05 pm

I am in favor of doubling all taxes while immediately eliminating all government social programs.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 10:46 pm

Create new, higher tax bracket, raise capital gains taxes, raise income taxes on the upper bracket, cut spending on defense and the war on drugs and The War Against Terror. Cut prison and law enforcement costs by eliminating vice laws, increase income through regulation and taxation on the newly legal vices.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 11:32 pm

I distrust government redistributionary policies, nor do I think that the government should be getting involved with the money that these people earned, if this can be avoided. I mean, as it stands, I think that social security is really just a problem, and likely will mostly tend to be just that.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 12:01 am

Social Security is not a tax.

It was meant to pay for itself and WOULD have paid for itself, except the government stole the money as fast as it came in and gave them worthless "IOY's". Now the government doesn't have the money to pay back those IOY's so we are in a world of trouble.

Many millions of baby boomers who have paid into Social Security all their lives are about to retire and there is no money in the fund.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 2:53 am

I try and avoid Ponzi schemes whenever possible; this one is just trickier than most.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 6:35 am

i need all the help i can get, so i am grateful for government programs and willingly pay my share of taxes to help support them.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 8:39 am

skafather84 wrote:
Create new, higher tax bracket, raise capital gains taxes, raise income taxes on the upper bracket, cut spending on defense and the war on drugs and The War Against Terror. Cut prison and law enforcement costs by eliminating vice laws, increase income through regulation and taxation on the newly legal vices.

This sounds about right. Our defense budget annoys me the most. We spend an absurd amount of money fighting wars that have either ended, or can't be won. Terrorism will never be stopped. If nothing else, we could at least be honest in our terminology and call it terrorism prevention efforts, or something like that.

The war on drugs is another good waste of money. Did we learn nothing from prohibition? We could be much more effective in our efforts if we cut the budget in half and spent it on treatment vs. criminalization. We spend more on jails than we do on schools in some cities.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 11:28 am

number5 wrote:

This sounds about right. Our defense budget annoys me the most. We spend an absurd amount of money fighting wars that have either ended, or can't be won. Terrorism will never be stopped. If nothing else, we could at least be honest in our terminology and call it terrorism prevention efforts, or something like that.

Actually terrorism can be stopped but it would require genocidal means to achieve that end.

We, here in the U.S., no longer have the balls to do it.

It is sad how far we have come. From General Phil Sheridan who said the only good Indian is a dead Indian to the gutless political correctness of the present day.

ruveyn

number5
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 12:28 pm

ruveyn wrote:
number5 wrote:

Actually terrorism can be stopped but it would require genocidal means to achieve that end.

It is sad how far we have come. From General Phil Sheridan who said the only good Indian is a dead Indian to the gutless political correctness of the present day.

ruveyn

Terrorism has more to do with mental dillusion and disturbance than it does with anything else. Pfizer has a better chance of combatting terrorism than soldiers do. It can also be homegrown.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 11:41 am

Instead of the dramatic, "either-or," why not simplify?

Radically rationalize the taxation system, reduce income taxes and implement a value added tax.

Radically rationalize entitlement programs and implement a guaranteed annual income with an OSR clawback to incentivize employment.

Tax a portion of capital gains as income in the year realized, exempt a taxpayers' principal residence and eliminate the mortgage tax credit.

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 1:24 pm

ruveyn wrote:
number5 wrote:

ruveyn

If the US had not helped the Mujahideen against the Russians, the USSR would have seized Afghanistan, killed everybody and tranformed the place in a parking lot. Bin Laden would be dead and Al Qaeda dismantled. And the soviets would have the blood in their hands. But no US wanted to keep the soviets away from Afghanistan. I guess it is price to pay for being stubborn.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2010, 1:33 pm

ruveyn wrote:
number5 wrote:

ruveyn

Ironic that a Jew pines for genocide.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson