Page 1 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 5:16 pm

Frankly, our Republic's Founders were wiser than you or me, and they had faith. They never intended Freedom of Religion to be a Marxist freedom from religion. The Founders were quite comfortable restricting the franchise and public office to men of faith, so we can't we?

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 5:22 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
The Founders were quite comfortable restricting the franchise and public office to men of faith, so we can't we?

Why should we?

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 7:36 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
Frankly, our Republic's Founders were wiser than you or me, and they had faith. They never intended Freedom of Religion to be a Marxist freedom from religion. The Founders were quite comfortable restricting the franchise and public office to men of faith, so we can't we?

They are not my republic's founders. Did they really have faith? They made a big effort to make sure not to, themselves, mention God specifically. Jefferson was a partidary of the multiple worlds theory which kind of clashed with Christianity.

Big etc, I am feeling lazy today.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 7:58 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
The Founders were quite comfortable restricting the franchise and public office to men of faith, so [why] can't we?

Obama took his oath on the Koran, so who is complaining?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 8:00 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
Frankly, our Republic's Founders ... never intended Freedom of Religion to be a Marxist freedom from religion.

True enough, but the degenerate masses will never catch on.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 8:34 pm

Freedom of religion can only exist through freedom from religion since there are variances and contradictions among the different religions (you must be free from one to practice another). Additionally, is it not someone's right to be an atheist? Would it really be a good idea to force religion onto others? I think not.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 8:35 pm

leejosepho wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:
The Founders were quite comfortable restricting the franchise and public office to men of faith, so [why] can't we?

False.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 8:38 pm

number5 wrote:
leejosepho wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:

False.

It was a congressman that took his oath on the Koran. If I remember correctly Obama took his oath on the same bible that Abraham Lincoln used. Though if Obama is a Muslim, his oath is meaningless.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 8:46 pm

If the world is controlled by octopus people, his oath is meaningless.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 8:52 pm

In any case, whatever the formula, an oath is only as good as the good faith [contrast faith] of the juror. If I lie may this oath eat me - but if I do not believe in the power of the oath - which is true of lots swearing on a stack of bibles these days - it comes down to what the law will do if you get caught.

Yea or nay.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 8:55 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
It was a congressman that took his oath on the Koran. If I remember correctly Obama took his oath on the same bible that Abraham Lincoln used. Though if Obama is a Muslim, his oath is meaningless.

I stand corrected, and I thank everyone involved.

Jews, Muslims and Christians all claim to worship the only "God", so only atheists need freedom *from* ... uh, from "God"?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 9:15 pm

NeantHumain wrote:

Umm.... you mean the same founders who had it written:
"no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States." (Art 4: Par 3)

Yeah....

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 9:19 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
number5 wrote:
leejosepho wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:

False.

I'm surprised at you, Inuyasha. For once in your life you aren't buying into a random anti-Obama myth simply out of enmity for him. Correct; Obama swore his presidential oath on Lincoln's bible.

I don't understand what you mean by "if Obama is a Muslim" though. He claims to be Christian. That in and of itself disqualified him from being Muslim.

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 10:26 pm

NeantHumain wrote:

several of our founding fathers including Thomas Jefferson were not christian, this isnt a christian country there is a SEPARATION between church and state. hell Thomas Jefferson went far enough to say that Religion in general is the BIGGEST threat to liberty. our government was made such that ANYONE of ANY or NO religion even can become president its not restricted to Christianity the reason why its assumed that is because christianity is one of the worlds largest religions so of course most of the presidents will be christian.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 11:17 pm

I have overheard more cogent discussions in a chicken yard..