Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

woodss82
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2011, 2:31 pm

This is a basic human right, freedom of thought.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 12:11 pm

woodss82 wrote:

Freedom of thought cuts both ways. In favor of religion and against religion.

In the context of the Church free thought is Heresy.

ruveyn

Tomasu
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 2:19 pm

^^ Greetings woodss82. ^^ I believe that I agree very much with you, woodss82, however also with ruveyn. ^^ I believe that freedom of thought is indeed very happy. However I do believe that although the majority of religious beliefs and most practices do not cause direct harm to others, there may be some that do so. (For instance, certain religious extremists may be against homosexuality and may actively hunt such individuals etc (I do not believe that I know of any examples of this, but this is just an example to demonstrate what I mean).

^^ I believe that thoughts themselves do not cause harm. I feel that problems arise if any harmful thoughts are converted into harmful practices.

(I apologise if this is very silly of me).

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 3:46 pm

Tomasu wrote:
^^ Greetings woodss82. ^^ I believe that I agree very much with you, woodss82, however also with ruveyn. ^^ I believe that freedom of thought is indeed very happy. However I do believe that although the majority of religious beliefs and most practices do not cause direct harm to others, there may be some that do so. (For instance, certain religious extremists may be against homosexuality and may actively hunt such individuals etc (I do not believe that I know of any examples of this, but this is just an example to demonstrate what I mean).

^^ I believe that thoughts themselves do not cause harm. I feel that problems arise if any harmful thoughts are converted into harmful practices.

(I apologise if this is very silly of me).

No, that makes sense. I don't care if someone is a black cesspit of evil inside, so long as he never interferes with me.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

woodss82
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 9:48 pm

ruveyn wrote:
woodss82 wrote:

Freedom of thought cuts both ways. In favor of religion and against religion.

In the context of the Church free thought is Heresy.

ruveyn

Yes it goes both ways, sadly some Christians dont see that at all.
Atheists and Adventists are the ones that keep this alive.