Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 4:56 pm

If the Bible is meant to be a collection of books inspired by God to show what's moral and how to be moral, then why the hell didn't God explain to us through the Bible how to raise our children with respect and love so that they may not become serial killers or rebellious fools deserving of death for cursing their parents?

hill-o-beans
Toucan
Toucan

18 Mar 2011, 4:58 pm

i think the book of proverbs has a section on how to hit kids. anyway, God told it all to James Dobson in person so he could write it down for us.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 5:01 pm

There's "spare the rod, spoil the child".

But in general I think the idea that parents need detailed explanations of how to raise kids is a pretty modern concept.

In the past, if a kid turned out to be a rotten adult it was blamed on either their genetics ("blood" actually, but same thing in effect) or on them just choosing to be bad. I think the whole idea that parents can influence the development of kid's psyches either came from Freud or came from the mindset of the time that Freud was percolating in. And it's been with us ever since.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 5:38 pm

MCalavera wrote:
If the Bible is meant to be a collection of books inspired by God to show what's moral and how to be moral,

It is meant to be a collection of books "inspired by God." However, I do not think that these book were intended to demonstrate what was moral nor how to be moral.

If you can project all of your sins and other problems onto Jesus, who provides perfect relief, then where is the incentive for morality?

If you want "morality", then read Confucius.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 5:41 pm

hill-o-beans wrote:
i think the book of proverbs has a section on how to hit kids.

With just enough wrist snap?

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 5:50 pm

MCalavera wrote:
If the Bible is meant to be a collection of books inspired by God to show what's moral and how to be moral, then why the hell didn't God explain to us through the Bible how to raise our children with respect and love so that they may not become serial killers or rebellious fools deserving of death for cursing their parents?

Because every child is different, and there is no perfect parenting method because what will work for some children won't work for others.

hill-o-beans
Toucan
Toucan

18 Mar 2011, 6:36 pm

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 11:28 pm

well duh, if any of the bible's teachings was useful or made sense, then the authors wouldn't have needed to invent a giant flying boogie-man to enforce them.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 11:52 pm

God is the father. Mary is the mother of God.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 11:55 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
well duh, if any of the bible's teachings was useful or made sense, then the authors wouldn't have needed to invent a giant flying boogie-man to enforce them.

The Bible is laid out like a historical text, not an instruction manual.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 4:40 am

NeantHumain wrote:
God is the father. Mary is the mother of God.

Are you saying God f*cked the virgin Miriam? That is rape!

After God has His way with the virgin Miriam, He asked: "Was it good for you?".

ruveyn

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 8:15 am

Don't be ignorant.

Good parenting is something you learn from your parents.

Society has become so dysfunctional that most people don't have good role models and some have pretty rotten role models.

The Bible says a good bit about raising kids. Love, discipline, teaching them right from wrong. That most parents can't manage to do that isn't the Bible's fault.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 9:04 am

Quote:
Why doesn't the Bible teach parenting?

Why do people not know it does?

And of course, there might be as many answers there as there are ignorant people.

Breaking things down a bit here ...

MCalavera wrote:
If the Bible is meant to be a collection of books inspired by God ...
... then why the hell didn't God explain to us through the Bible how to raise our children ...?

If the allegation of "the Bible" not teaching parenting were actually true, then the fault there would lie in the hands of the men who selected the books in question.

MCalavera wrote:
If the Bible is meant to be a collection of books ... to show what's moral and how to be moral ...

... then it certainly *would* (and does) teach parenting.

MCalavera wrote:
If the Bible is meant to be a collection of books ... so that [our children] may not become serial killers or rebellious fools ...

... parents will first have to cease being "serial killers" (lousy parents) or rebellious fools in order to make use of it.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 3:13 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:

The Bible is laid out like a historical text, not an instruction manual.

http://www.bricktestament.com/the_law/index.html
http://www.bricktestament.com/epistles/index.html

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 3:37 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
if any of the bible's teachings was useful or made sense, then the authors wouldn't have needed to invent a giant flying boogie-man to enforce them.

Rubbish. If people wanting others to believe them intelligent truly believed the bible's teachings were useless or senseless, they would not bother wasting so much of their time and energy trying to mock it!

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 3:58 pm

leejosepho wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
if any of the bible's teachings was useful or made sense, then the authors wouldn't have needed to invent a giant flying boogie-man to enforce them.

Rubbish. If people wanting others to believe them intelligent truly believed the bible's teachings were useless or senseless, they would not bother wasting so much of their time and energy trying to mock it!
ROFL so true.

@ zer0netgain: I stand behind that 100%. Parenting is a joke these days. Thanks to the self esteem movement parents pamper their kids and never instill personal responsibility or discipline. Parents don't have the balls (or the spine for the mothers) to actually punish their kids whenever they act like pricks. Not that it matters that little Bob stole some kid's toy, boys will be boys!