Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 1:06 pm

Something I noticed myself, turn out it's got a name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostile_media_effect

That peoples on the far-right consider Fox news as a fair source show that the network is biased. :wink:

Chevand
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 1:16 pm

Well, it explains Inuyasha consistently insisting that the only credible sources for information are Fox News or similarly conservative-tinted websites, and that arguments backed up with any other source are therefore completely invalid. Anyone who falls short of the Murdochian view of "reality" must be untrustworthy due to insidious liberal bias, right? ;)

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 8:33 pm

Chevand wrote:
Well, it explains Inuyasha consistently insisting that the only credible sources for information are Fox News or similarly conservative-tinted websites, and that arguments backed up with any other source are therefore completely invalid. Anyone who falls short of the Murdochian view of "reality" must be untrustworthy due to insidious liberal bias, right? ;)

Well when one of the left wing media sources pretty much declared war on Fox News, I think that's a pretty good sign that Fox News has them rattled.

Btw. seriously you have no business trying to psycho-analyze me, you are neither qualified, nor do you know enough about me to do so.

For the record I used to watch MSNBC, until they lost my trust. I used to just switch back and forth, hell I used to watch CNN until they lost my trust. I've seen liberal media outlets use fraudulent documents to try to smear people. Does Rathergate ring a bell, I got news for you, it was so blatantly a fraud the idea that anyone would believe it is just sad.

The memo was in a font style that wasn't even invented yet, further it had variable spaced typing. That is only found on modern computers, it couldn't even have been a scan or from a copy machine.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 9:48 pm

I can say that much about Fox news, the network is illegal in Canada because new outlets are forbidden to tell lies.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 10:59 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Chevand wrote:

Well when one of the left wing media sources pretty much declared war on Fox News, I think that's a pretty good sign that Fox News has them rattled.

Btw. seriously you have no business trying to psycho-analyze me, you are neither qualified, nor do you know enough about me to do so.

For the record I used to watch MSNBC, until they lost my trust. I used to just switch back and forth, hell I used to watch CNN until they lost my trust. I've seen liberal media outlets use fraudulent documents to try to smear people. Does Rathergate ring a bell, I got news for you, it was so blatantly a fraud the idea that anyone would believe it is just sad.

The memo was in a font style that wasn't even invented yet, further it had variable spaced typing. That is only found on modern computers, it couldn't even have been a scan or from a copy machine.

Pointing out that you do regularly tout Fox News as a credible source of news and either ignore or put down any other source= I hardly think he was psychoanalyzing you but was giving an observation of what is easily provable by using your own posts as evidence...
Additionally, the network 'declaring war' doesn't mean that Fox is suddenly credible. I mean, that entire logic is flawed. There is a War on Terror, does that make Terrorism suddenly valid and credible because someone chooses to respond to it? Think about it

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 11:04 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Chevand wrote:

Pointing out that you do regularly tout Fox News as a credible source of news and either ignore or put down any other source= I hardly think he was psychoanalyzing you but was giving an observation of what is easily provable by using your own posts as evidence...
Additionally, the network 'declaring war' doesn't mean that Fox is suddenly credible. I mean, that entire logic is flawed. There is a War on Terror, does that make Terrorism suddenly valid and credible because someone chooses to respond to it? Think about it

Since there's a War on Drugs, does that now mean that drug dealers are good, honest people who's legitimate businesses are scarring the power elite? That seems to be what Inuyasha believes on the basis of his theses.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 11:04 pm

Tollorin wrote:
I can say that much about Fox news, the network is illegal in Canada because new outlets are forbidden to tell lies.

Then why the hell does Sun Media still exist?

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 11:25 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Chevand wrote:

Since there's a War on Drugs, does that now mean that drug dealers are good, honest people who's legitimate businesses are scarring the power elite? That seems to be what Inuyasha believes on the basis of his theses.

:D Funny, I was initially considering using the War on Drugs as an example, but I felt Inuyasha probably has stronger feelings about the War on Terror. And also, I think the War on Drugs is flawed, but that doesn't mean I believe drug dealers are good.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2011, 11:44 pm

Vigilans wrote:
And also, I think the War on Drugs is flawed, but that doesn't mean I believe drug dealers are good.

IT'S AN EITHER/OR CHOIC!! ! :P :wink:

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 12:00 am

Master_Pedant wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
And also, I think the War on Drugs is flawed, but that doesn't mean I believe drug dealers are good.

IT'S AN EITHER/OR CHOIC!! ! :P :wink:

Good point, we cannot compromise with those fart-sniffing granola hippie communists, black and white thinking FTW! :D

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 12:38 am

Tollorin wrote:

Actually, it's cause your Government doesn't like media outlets that have the guts to tell your Government to shove it, whenever they try to dictate how to report news and what not to report.

You really are living in a dream world if you honestly believe that line of "forbidden to tell lies."

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 12:40 am

I've got a better idea: don't trust any news outlet 100%- especially op/ed pieces.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 12:43 am

John_Browning wrote:
I've got a better idea: don't trust any news outlet 100%- especially op/ed pieces.

Agreed, people have to earn trust.

Chevand
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 5:12 am

Inuyasha wrote:

Ignoring Vigilans's argument for a second, about the non sequitur between your claim that another network has "declared war" on Fox News, and your claim that Fox News is therefore somehow more credibile as a result-- since when, exactly, is it surprising that two opposing news outlets are clashing? News has been a cutthroat business at least since the days of Hearst. CNN, MSNBC and Fox News are all constantly slamming each other. What the hell do you expect? They're competitors.

Quote:

It's not psychoanalysis. It's the most elementary level of observation. I don't have to be a psychologist, or even know you very well, to pick up on patterns from your posts. When I claim to be able to foresee you getting all defensive against challenges to the standard neoconservative talking points-- it's not really even all that difficult, because you always do. You're as predictable as the sunset.

Quote:

I'm curious as to what constitutes a large enough violation of your trust as a viewer that you finally get fed up and change the channel. Fox News has misused video footage, presented incorrect information, misread polls, and they relentlessly attack Obama for everything he does, no matter what his stance (a discourtesy which they did not extend to President Bush during his time in office). Don't you consider Glenn Beck joking about poisoning Nancy Pelosi a smear? If you aren't willing to admit that they've done all of the above intentionally to serve their idological agenda, then the only alternative is admitting that they're just really not that good at journalism.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

28 Mar 2011, 10:31 am

"If journalists are, in fact, biased toward liberalism, it's probably for the same reason teachers are-
they're educated."

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 10:55 am

Bethie wrote:
"If journalists are, in fact, biased toward liberalism, it's probably for the same reason teachers are-
they're educated."

Cute, I would argue it is brainwashing especially with the way educational standards have gone downhill.