Gingrich just thinks Obama won't go for the throat.

Page 2 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 5:02 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I'd be pretty surprised if Gingrich got the Republican nomination. But in the meantime, you can expect rhetoric to get ugly, with all sorts of racist code words and accusation of Democrats being Nazis - with little or no Republican criticism - till he gets drummed out of the race by his more popular rivals.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer
Playing the race card again? The smart thing to do would be to stop hitting your head against the brick wall after the first time you run into it.

By race card, you mean something that isn't true? Gingrich and his friends at Fox jumped all over a rap artist who had been invited to the White House recently, describing him as a thug. Well, he isn't a thug; he's very socially conscious, and he raps about hope for poor people. So, why does Gingrich and company make this guy out to be such a menace? One glaring fact is - - he's black; and a black rapper is going to always be useful to the likes of Gingrich and friends in order to scare the bejeezus out of conservative white people.

If you look at the rapper's choice of song lyrics, then you would realize what you just said was incredibly stupid.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 5:10 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I'd be pretty surprised if Gingrich got the Republican nomination. But in the meantime, you can expect rhetoric to get ugly, with all sorts of racist code words and accusation of Democrats being Nazis - with little or no Republican criticism - till he gets drummed out of the race by his more popular rivals.

Playing the race card again? The smart thing to do would be to stop hitting your head against the brick wall after the first time you run into it.

By race card, you mean something that isn't true? Gingrich and his friends at Fox jumped all over a rap artist who had been invited to the White House recently, describing him as a thug. Well, he isn't a thug; he's very socially conscious, and he raps about hope for poor people. So, why does Gingrich and company make this guy out to be such a menace? One glaring fact is - - he's black; and a black rapper is going to always be useful to the likes of Gingrich and friends in order to scare the bejeezus out of conservative white people.

Ok who is he? The conscious ones I can think of off the top are Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Nas (somewhat conscious and somewhat gangsta), Lupe Fiasco, and KRS-ONE.

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 5:21 pm

AceOfSpades wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Ok who is he? The conscious ones I can think of off the top are Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Nas (somewhat conscious and somewhat gangsta), Lupe Fiasco, and KRS-ONE.

I hope it was KRS-ONE.

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 5:39 pm

JakobVirgil wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I hope it was KRS-ONE.
His debut album was gangsta so there's still room for misunderstandings rather than just racism. If it's anyone but him and Nas out of all the others I listed, then he is actually racist and I'll have to apologize to Kraichgauer. Sorry but I tend to be real skeptical cuz of how often the race card is played these days and the fact that he has called the photo ID thing racist.

@ Inuyasha: Who was it and how does the lyric go?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 6:23 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

If you look at the rapper's choice of song lyrics, then you would realize what you just said was incredibly stupid.

And what words would those be? Rap isn't my choice of music.

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 6:28 pm

Before everyone tries to tie an artists actual life or views to their art, bear in mind sometimes it is just an artistic reflection of the artists environment. Sometimes it is total fantasy, otherwise the scariest music around would have to be the darker styles of metal surely, there is some twisted stuff to be singing about for sure. As for writers? well we better get to some good old fashioned book burning!

peace j

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 6:55 pm

RedHanrahan wrote:
Before everyone tries to tie an artists actual life or views to their art, bear in mind sometimes it is just an artistic reflection of the artists environment. Sometimes it is total fantasy, otherwise the scariest music around would have to be the darker styles of metal surely, there is some twisted stuff to be singing about for sure. As for writers? well we better get to some good old fashioned book burning!

peace j

Very good point. And as I recall, the song that Fox, Gingrich, and assorted conservatives are bitching about was written years ago, can in fact be construed in different ways, and the rapper in question has never written anything of the sort since.
As I recall, Johny Cash, who had written songs about every conceivable mental illness and accompanying violence and murder was in fact welcomed to the Bush White House. I guess when a country singer includes that stuff in his music, it's okay.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 9:11 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
RedHanrahan wrote:

peace j

Very good point. And as I recall, the song that Fox, Gingrich, and assorted conservatives are bitching about was written years ago, can in fact be construed in different ways, and the rapper in question has never written anything of the sort since.
As I recall, Johny Cash, who had written songs about every conceivable mental illness and accompanying violence and murder was in fact welcomed to the Bush White House. I guess when a country singer includes that stuff in his music, it's okay.

Difference is in Obama's case there is a pattern of behavior that suggests he has a dislike of police. The beer summit because he jumped the gun without knowing any facts comes to mind.

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2011, 10:02 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
RedHanrahan wrote:

peace j

Difference is in Obama's case there is a pattern of behavior that suggests he has a dislike of police. The beer summit because he jumped the gun without knowing any facts comes to mind.

Police are more likely to lie than tell the truth.
they are unreliable and on the whole thugs.
Good people don't need them. Bad people are not stopped by them.
Cops make things worse.
so F the police. if Gates was white he would not have been harassed.
if a cop stops me from breaking into my own house I will put a bullet in him.
you morons who cry about police states but kiss the ass
of every filthy beat cop you come across.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 12:01 am

Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
RedHanrahan wrote:

peace j

If Obama jumped the gun, it was because Professor Gates, who the police arrested - after coming into his house - was a longtime friend of his. If you know your friends in a situation like this, you're going to stick by them, regardless of what the police say.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 12:43 am

AceOfSpades wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

It was Common. He's pretty harmless, and has a nice poetic flow to his rhymes.

I personally would prefer they not invite any rapper to the white house.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 1:30 am

MarketAndChurch wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Why not, if as you say, he's harmless and has a poetic flow to his music? Not every rapper is the stereotypical gangsta thug who's rapping about killing cops and slapping b*****s and hos. It's plainly wrong to exclude him from the White House or anywhere else simply out of guilt by association.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 3:33 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
MarketAndChurch wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Why not, if as you say, he's harmless and has a poetic flow to his music? Not every rapper is the stereotypical gangsta thug who's rapping about killing cops and slapping b*****s and hos. It's plainly wrong to exclude him from the White House or anywhere else simply out of guilt by association.

Well off course, but I don't think that rap has been a good influence on society, thats all. There's a lot of things that have not been a good influence on society, but I rank rap rather highly on that list. The messages praised by the youth have not been good for the male or female psyche or the youth's limited understanding of the world.

I give Common the exception, and perhaps, a few others.

But, as a rule, that art form should not have social ambassadors meeting with the president at the white house. It is a social gesture when someone visits the white house, and our president being the embodiment of us all, a reflection of the character of our society. Who has the ear of our president is what its saying. When he invites heads of states that we don't like, it shows his diplomatic side. When he invites union leaders, it shows his interest in creating hospitable working conditions for the average worker. When he invites a panal of Doctors to champion his health proposals, he's adding the perception of credibility to his argument, and showcasing that what animates him and central to his plans is our health and well-being. When he invites someone who saved another person, he is complimenting good citizenry. When he invites a high school volleyball team that won nationals, he's commending competition, hard work, etc. He should tread lightly when he invites someone whose a rapper - even if they are harmless. The social damage done by that art form grossly outweighs its benefits.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 5:16 am

What did more harm? This guy's rap or the many "hell ya, k*ck a**" country songs that helped pave the way for war? That war cost a lot of money.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 5:28 am

simon_says wrote:
What did more harm? This guy's rap or the many "hell ya, k*ck a**" country songs that helped pave the way for war? That war cost a lot of money.

You give too much credit to people who - I'm assuming - you think lowly of.

That is our impulse since inception. From toppling the monarchy's rulership over the states to giving the finger to every European empire and taking all their land on the North-American continent, to declaring our ownership of the western-hemisphere to Washington's farewell address to the Monroe doctrine to ripping panama from the belly of Colombia to taking the SouthWest from Mexico to advancing across the plains to the pacific ocean, to taking the Philippines, to WWI to WWII to Korea to Vietnam, and so forth (and any other political or military intervention in other people's business.)

We are an Empire animated by Idealism that propels us to remake this world in our own image.

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 10:19 am

MarketAndChurch wrote:
simon_says wrote:

You give too much credit to people who - I'm assuming - you think lowly of.

That is our impulse since inception. From toppling the monarchy's rulership over the states to giving the finger to every European empire and taking all their land on the North-American continent, to declaring our ownership of the western-hemisphere to Washington's farewell address to the Monroe doctrine to ripping panama from the belly of Colombia to taking the SouthWest from Mexico to advancing across the plains to the pacific ocean, to taking the Philippines, to WWI to WWII to Korea to Vietnam, and so forth (and any other political or military intervention in other people's business.)

We are an Empire animated by Idealism that propels us to remake this world in our own image.

the preceding is the definition of Jingoist idiocy
If this is your view.
I will risk the genetic fallacy and ignore every thing else you say.
assuming it is moronic and emotionally based.
at least Inayusha does not wax poetic about genocide.
our impulse -my lord- what well of stupid do you drink from?
America was founded as a reaction against Empire.
not the founding of a new one.
we have lost our way.
and apparently you celebrate that?