Stone Aerospace and the Privatization of Space

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 4:17 pm

Searching for what I could as per the reference that Vigilans made regarding Stone Aerospace, I've found these links on Space.com for my friends on PPR to discuss:

Links:

Texas firm draws up plans for orbital "gas station".

Mining the Moon's water.

Back to the Moon: How the lunar bases will work.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 4:34 pm

If Shackleton Energy Co (the subsidiary of Stone Aerospace that wants to do the lunar mining) can succeed in their endeavor it will pave the way for other private companies. Its also interesting to note that there is silicon on the moon so it is possible that solar panel production could be entirely self sufficient there and provide for spacecraft going on other missions. So asides liquid fuel it looks like the moon is also ideal for solar panel mass production. The decreased g also means getting all these panels into space would be relatively painless, which could contribute to plans back on Earth to build solar arrays in space to provide power down on Earth

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 4:40 pm

Vigilans wrote:
If Shackleton Energy Co (the subsidiary of Stone Aerospace that wants to do the lunar mining) can succeed in their endeavor it will pave the way for other private companies. Its also interesting to note that there is silicon on the moon so it is possible that solar panel production could be entirely self sufficient there and provide for spacecraft going on other missions. So asides liquid fuel it looks like the moon is also ideal for solar panel mass production. The decreased g also means getting all these panels into space would be relatively painless, which could contribute to plans back on Earth to build solar arrays in space to provide power down on Earth

Well, whether or not they could provide power back on Earth prior to the construction of a space elevator, they could at least be used for vehicles and stations in space. I'm hoping that after this gets started that the need for orbital agriculture and shipyards is recognized and met.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 8:03 pm

why precisely should we stone Aerospace?

--------

A tad tired tonight.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 8:05 pm

Hmm... I disagree with stoned aerospace... one should never fly, drive or operate heavy machinery under the influence

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 8:12 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Hmm... I disagree with stoned aerospace... one should never fly, drive or operate heavy machinery under the influence
Yeah you gotta be able to handle your s**t. Intoxication and altitude would get you way too high.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 8:14 pm

8O
we just invented FTL

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 8:15 pm

AceOfSpades wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Yeah you gotta be able to handle your sh**. Intoxication and altitude would get you way too high.

:lol:
Not for the pilots at least, but I can imagine getting drunk or high in space might be fun. Zero g shots, catching little balls of liquor floating freely around...

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 8:39 pm

After the first three most are just going to splatter your pressure suit.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 8:59 pm

I was thinking the inside of a modular, inflatable space station with a large window panorama view of the Earth (or Moon, if in orbit of it instead) designed for tourists. No pressure suits required, except if you want to go for a 'stroll'

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 9:54 pm

Stone Aerospace

Shackleton Energy Company (just a contact page)

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 10:43 pm

Orbital fuel depots were discussed by the Augustine panel that helped chart NASA's new course. The idea being that you need less rocket if you have fuel waiting on orbit (which could be supplied any time). But you could also use them with larger rockets. You get the same benefit but they are less critical.

One of the 4 or 5 areas to R&D under the Obama FY2011 plan was to be fuel depots but the money just isnt going to be there now. Congress wanted the big rocket and capsule straight away. It's currently unknown if NASA will make use of them.

For it to work, NASA as an anchor customer would be very helpful. Just as the ISS is helping commercial supply / crew. They are good in general for commercial because they increase the flight rate (lots of fuelling missions).

Quote:
"Once initial funding is received to initiate the detailed planning effort, we expect to be open for business in LEO in the 2015 timeframe,"

This statement is a problem. They don't have the funding lined up and need 15 billion in investment? I'll stick with NASA and start-ups founded by wealthy businessmen for now. Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk & Robert Bigelow all bring private fortunes into the mix.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 11:08 pm

I was checking out Stone Aerospace's page and they actually have a pretty diverse range of high tech products/good company history. I think they could pull it off
Interesting that you mention those businessmen simon_says; I have heard that Stone wants to partner with SpaceX and Bigelow Aerospace. So they probably can secure that funding with those names associated with them (SpaceX providing launch, Bigelow, the space infrastructure), in addition to their own corporate history