Homeopathy is stronger than antidepresants/antipsychotics

Page 5 of 10 [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 1:40 pm

draelynn wrote:
WilliamWDelaney wrote:
@draelynn, the reason I am unwilling to "leave well enough alone" is that this could lead to the parents of an autistic child leaving their child untreated for years before there is any medical intervention, thereby ruining that child for life. People need to be informed not only that homeopathy does not work, but they also need to be informed that the first real medication they use will probably be a failure.

If parents of an autistic child are unwilling and lazy enough to NOT do their own research and are willing to just throw their money at whomever sticks a miracle cure in their face - I'd say the blame is on the parents there. The fact of the matter is - homeopathy DOES work for some people - reasons undetermined. Shelling out $15 to try a bottle of a homeopathic remedy is alot less invasive and immoral than hundreds to thousands of dollars on things that can be dangerous and even lethal things like chelation. And, it may have some effect. It certainly isn't a cure but, for some, it may bring some relief for specific symptoms. And, if it doesn't $15 isn't a huge deal.

I personally trust herbalism much more than most holistic approaches. It is specifically useful in anxiety, sleeplessness and mild depression. And, I'm inclined to consider Sweetleafs therapy of choice herbally based as well. Again, any holistic practicioner should be most willing and able to collaborate with your doctor, they should always ask you about all of your conditions and medications you may be taking because herbal remedies are counterindicated in some cases. Basically, the professional you consult about your health should be a PROFESSIONAL. If they are setting up a tent at the local 'cure autism' faire I'd be beyond wary.

Basically - if you've tried it and it didn't work for you - fine. You are certainly welcomed to your experiences and opinions. But if someone is coming out and saying something worked for them why on earth would you try and talk them OUT OF THAT? It doesn't matter if its mind over matter, placebo, or an actual effect that science hasn't measured yet. As long as they are not harming themselves, why try to tear down what works for them? And if you haven't tried it, I'm even less inclined to consider your opinion. You aren't even speaking from experience or as a clinician who's studied the subject.

And I totally agree with SSRI's. Evil evil stuff with more long lasting side effects than symptoms it treats. Well studied, widely used and they still cannot tell you exactly why they work. Hmmmm... that sounds familiar...

A lot of drugs are based on natural chemicals or synthetic chemicals simular to natural chemicals....I find it to be very intresting, its amazing how many plants that just grow naturally all over the place can be used as remidies, recreatinal substances or can be deadly when ingested. I wish I could take a college course about that...but since they don't have any I am slowly just trying to learn as much as I can because it intrests me.

WilliamWDelaney
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 2:13 pm

Oh, there are a lot of very interesting compounds in plants. Nicotine, for example, has some very interesting medical benefits, though it does put some wear and tear on your circulator system and some of your other subsystems. Otherwise, it's really a very interesting and potentially useful compound.

Another good one is chamomile. It has one extract that acts as a monoamine transporter activator. It's very very interesting what certain plants can actually produce.

And there are also some interesting gems to be found in obselete medicines that were once used to treat seemingly unrelated problems. For example, the amantadine that I am on used to be used for treating Parkinson's Disease and has been slowly replaced by newer, more effective drugs. Well, although I don't notice the effect myself, other people complain loudly and tell me that I am rambling and being annoying whenever I forget to take a couple of doses. It does clear up a lot of my issues, apparently. It also apparently makes me less prone to being temperamental and "catty."

So yeah, there are a lot of very interesting avenues in medicine, medicinal plants being one of them.

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 8:13 pm

TallyMan wrote:
:lol: Exactly. Or mix a few drops in a gallon container and sell the surplus at huge profit. :P

No, wait...diluting it makes it STRONGER, completely forgot about that...just like ammonia and water...

draelynn wrote:
That said - yes - there are complete charlatans taking advantage of scared and possibly ignorant people and selling them vials of water to treat their autistic children. Whereever you have desperate people you will always have the slime living under the rock of humanity seep out in order to feed off of their misery. There are all sorts of hoaxers taking advantage of people. I'm sure some claiming to be homeopaths are doing the same. The homeopaths I've met would never do such a thing. They certainly wouldn't promise a cure. Homeopathy is more focused on alleviating symptomology - not curing conditions.

I think you missed this the first time around so I am going to show you it again:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1UJ_qGZ24k&feature=related[/youtube]

draelynn wrote:
Twenty years ago acupuncture was thought to be all placebo too. I'm just saying keep an open mind but also keep your head on straight.

No, it is still quack science. Read this and this.

draelynn wrote:
:lol: It (Ephedra) was the addicts who used it to get a rush - and got themselves killed - who prompted the FDA ban...

Oxyxcodone was also taken away because of abuse...but it was reformulated and put back in medicinal use. Why have they not reformulated Ephedra if it is that safe for the general population?

hale_bopp wrote:
Who cares if it's a placebo? Mind over matter. Always mind over matter. If it works, it works.

There are numerous examples off this since my last post, and I want to lump it in with this one since this is the clearest.

This is not a religious debate on PPR or a question about advocacy in the Activism thread. We are talking about a procedure that has yet to be proven physically to work, tends to be much more expensive than other "traditional" treatments, and poses a danger to OTHERS, not just the person taking the "medicine." This is also the same argument for chelation, GFCF, and any other treatments anti-vaccine people claim to treat children with autism, but has never been proven effective (see the IMFAR reports on the GFCF diet). This is a serious risk to people taking the "meds" and, if the disease is contagious, other people.

Anecdotal stories are also not evidence, like the OP and others. If you want to show it works, you cannot use that.

Drugs should be the last resort for people with autism, and should only be used for symptoms like depression, anxiety, etc. But to sit here and say to someone that it is OK to try a treatment that has never been shown to work in any real scientific study because they have an "opinion" that they should take it is nonsense. I'm sorry, but the correct word here is nonsense. If you can show it works, show it to James Randi and get your million dollars.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swDpWNKB5Co&feature=related[/youtube]

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

11 Jun 2011, 9:20 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
draelynn wrote:
WilliamWDelaney wrote:
@draelynn, the reason I am unwilling to "leave well enough alone" is that this could lead to the parents of an autistic child leaving their child untreated for years before there is any medical intervention, thereby ruining that child for life. People need to be informed not only that homeopathy does not work, but they also need to be informed that the first real medication they use will probably be a failure.

If parents of an autistic child are unwilling and lazy enough to NOT do their own research and are willing to just throw their money at whomever sticks a miracle cure in their face - I'd say the blame is on the parents there. The fact of the matter is - homeopathy DOES work for some people - reasons undetermined. Shelling out $15 to try a bottle of a homeopathic remedy is alot less invasive and immoral than hundreds to thousands of dollars on things that can be dangerous and even lethal things like chelation. And, it may have some effect. It certainly isn't a cure but, for some, it may bring some relief for specific symptoms. And, if it doesn't $15 isn't a huge deal.

I personally trust herbalism much more than most holistic approaches. It is specifically useful in anxiety, sleeplessness and mild depression. And, I'm inclined to consider Sweetleafs therapy of choice herbally based as well. Again, any holistic practicioner should be most willing and able to collaborate with your doctor, they should always ask you about all of your conditions and medications you may be taking because herbal remedies are counterindicated in some cases. Basically, the professional you consult about your health should be a PROFESSIONAL. If they are setting up a tent at the local 'cure autism' faire I'd be beyond wary.

Basically - if you've tried it and it didn't work for you - fine. You are certainly welcomed to your experiences and opinions. But if someone is coming out and saying something worked for them why on earth would you try and talk them OUT OF THAT? It doesn't matter if its mind over matter, placebo, or an actual effect that science hasn't measured yet. As long as they are not harming themselves, why try to tear down what works for them? And if you haven't tried it, I'm even less inclined to consider your opinion. You aren't even speaking from experience or as a clinician who's studied the subject.

And I totally agree with SSRI's. Evil evil stuff with more long lasting side effects than symptoms it treats. Well studied, widely used and they still cannot tell you exactly why they work. Hmmmm... that sounds familiar...

A lot of drugs are based on natural chemicals or synthetic chemicals simular to natural chemicals....I find it to be very intresting, its amazing how many plants that just grow naturally all over the place can be used as remidies, recreatinal substances or can be deadly when ingested. I wish I could take a college course about that...but since they don't have any I am slowly just trying to learn as much as I can because it intrests me.

Many pharmaceuticals are based off of natural herbs and other plants. Take Adderall, for instance. It's amphetamine. Amphetamine was first isolated from the ephedra plant in the 1920's.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2011, 11:12 pm

HerrGrimm wrote:
I think you missed this the first time around so I am going to show you it again:

Is that interview supposed to be PROOF of something? I saw no proof of anything offered or discussed, it was all conversation with no evidence brought into the conversation. Yes, I saw it and do not see the point you are making with it.

Quote:
No, it is still quack science. Read this and this.

I'm not really interested in getting into a link war here... you have links against, I have links for. You only believe in what someone else sticks on a slab, under a microscope or analyzes in a computer. I think humans are narrow minded and dismissive of anything they don't understand to can't prove with what they believe are scientific methods. You say you have a hard answer, I ask if they asked the right questions. We don't agree. No arguement there.

Quote:
Oxyxcodone was also taken away because of abuse...but it was reformulated and put back in medicinal use. Why have they not reformulated Ephedra if it is that safe for the general population?

Because ephedra is a plant and therefore cannot be altered other than to tamper with the plants genetics. It is technically supposed to be outside FDA regulation because it is a 'supplement' and not considered food or medicine. Some people are sensitive and/or allergic to ephedra. They have no clue what percentage of the population has sever adverse reations, which compound within the plant causes it or how to identify the susceptible population. Because it is a naturally occurring plant, there is no way to patent it, therefore no interest or money to research those answers so they just made it illegal. Problem solved.

I don't know about you but doctors in my area are terrified of prescribing any painkiller at all. Anyone asking for pain meds is treated like an addict looking for a fix. Oxycodone is still half a step from heroin - still just as addictive but still one of the only meds that can even touch severe pain. Nothing about Oxy's is safe. It is the most commonly traded and abused pharmaceutical on the market.

Quote:
Anecdotal stories are also not evidence, like the OP and others. If you want to show it works, you cannot use that.

Science relies on anecdotal evidence to guide research all the time. In fact, psychology relies on it heavily since brain science is still in its virtual infancy. Science DOES use it.

Quote:
Drugs should be the last resort for people with autism, and should only be used for symptoms like depression, anxiety, etc. But to sit here and say to someone that it is OK to try a treatment that has never been shown to work in any real scientific study because they have an "opinion" that they should take it is nonsense. I'm sorry, but the correct word here is nonsense. If you can show it works, show it to James Randi and get your million dollars.

The OP found relief with a treatment and he shared his experience. I pretty sure most comments here have already agreed that pharmaceuticals essentially suck. If you are trying to say the OP is lying or that he somehow shouldn't share his experience because you want scientific proof to back up his personal claim then I'd say that's in censorship territory and that it has no place in this conversation. You can disagree all you like but I'm afraid you have no juristiction over anothers opinion.

WilliamWDelaney
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 7:03 am

draelynn wrote:
You only believe in what someone else sticks on a slab, under a microscope or analyzes in a computer.
You would want to be able to examine their methodology, though. Before you just agree that a conclusion is valid, you should study the method that was used to arrive at that conclusion and try to understand it.

Quote:
I think humans are narrow minded and dismissive of anything they don't understand to can't prove with what they believe are scientific methods.
What we are dismissive of is for something that is not based on anything resembling science being sold under scientific pretensions. If homeopaths were to treat their potion crap as a religious exercise, some of us would have a markedly reduced urge to find them and strangle them.

You never hear people lambasting the practice of Reiki healing, do you? It's because practitioners of Reiki rank their art alongside practices such as meditation or yoga. The person who teaches you a certain form of meditation doesn't care that certain kinds of meditation have been proven to have health benefits in clinical trials. Whoever runs your yoga class, if it's being done traditionally, is more concerned with balancing your chi than in improving your heart function. The difference is that these guys don't operate under false pretenses.

If homeopaths were selling their crap as a traditional art, that would be one thing. They are selling it as a pseudoscience, though, and it's outright immoral.

Quote:
Because it is a naturally occurring plant, there is no way to patent it, therefore no interest or money to research those answers so they just made it illegal. Problem solved.
They made it illegal because people were dropping dead, and some of us tend to find this type of reaction to be upsetting. Did you know that, right now, I am on a drug that has no patent on it? It is an antiglutamatergic drug that works by slowing down the NMDA receptor, and it also has cholinergic effects that are still poorly understood. Furthermore, most typical antipsychotics no longer have patents on them, either. You could open up a lab of your own and sell almost any typical antipsychotic for a profit. You would probably have to get a license of some sort in order to do it and pass some fairly rigorous inspections, but little you could manufacture and sell a drug like haloperidol if you really wanted to.

The point is, there is a plentitude of synthetic compounds on the market that nobody presently holds any form of patent on. The doctors are not getting any sort of kickback off of prescribing it to you unless it's some brand name for a drug that has cheap generic alternatives (you could do the same with herbs, though, just by claiming that your particular herbs were grown in a higher grade of cow manure). These generics are still on the market because doctors are still prescribing them to treat human illness because they WORK.

Quote:
I don't know about you but doctors in my area are terrified of prescribing any painkiller at all. Anyone asking for pain meds is treated like an addict looking for a fix.
Has it occurred to you that the doctors might actually be trying to look out for the best interests of their patients? The stronger pain-killers on the market lose their effectiveness pretty quickly, and some of them can be harmful.

Quote:
The OP found relief with a treatment and he shared his experience.
Yes, and he was told very plainly that homeopathy is a crock. He should consider the possibility that there could be other explanations for his experience, such as the possibility that antipsychotics are doing him more harm than good. Or perhaps all he really needs is more self-confidence.

Quote:
I pretty sure most comments here have already agreed that pharmaceuticals essentially suck.
Nope. SSRIs are wonderful drugs, and they have a broad range of uses. Unfortunately, it has taken a while for researchers to figure out where it can be used and where it might do more harm than good. I went through a very traumatic experience with the drugs. However, the drug has also helped many people to live relatively normal lives when they would otherwise be barely functioning, and I think that this class of drug is appropriate if it is being used to treat certain conditions.

Quote:
If you are trying to say the OP is lying or that he somehow shouldn't share his experience because you want scientific proof to back up his personal claim then I'd say that's in censorship territory and that it has no place in this conversation. You can disagree all you like but I'm afraid you have no juristiction over anothers opinion.
Pseudoscience must be destroyed.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 9:52 am

You make a very reasonable statement:

WilliamWDelaney wrote:
You would want to be able to examine their methodology, though. Before you just agree that a conclusion is valid, you should study the method that was used to arrive at that conclusion and try to understand it.

then utterly destroy your argument by injecting hyperbole:

[/quote]
What we are dismissive of is for something that is not based on anything resembling science being sold under scientific pretensions. If homeopaths were to treat their potion crap as a religious exercise, some of us would have a markedly reduced urge to find them and strangle them.
[/quote]

I am a VERY logical person and fully appreciate what rationalism, reductionism, scientific method and repeatable, evidentiary exploration of our world bring to us. But I see time and time again people that inject their own contempt into their disagreements with others, utterly convinced in the superiority of their views.

Chew on this:

Scientific process is sufficient to the apprehension of reality if and only if there exists nothing that can be known outside of scientific process that cannot also be known within it.

Can you PROVE that science can determine all that is knowable? Because you cannot prove this, you must accept at best accept it as axiomatic, or, in other words, take it as an article of faith (faith does not always connotate religious ideas).

You could reasonably claim that science and rationalism are better than other descriptions of reality, but you cannot claim that they are sufficient without being non-scientific while making that claim.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 9:56 am

JohnyJohn wrote:
I have taken the homeopathic capsules Stramonium 6X,told by an uncle who is homeopathic.Even though i don't approve homeopathy i have to say they really do work and are stronger than the others.

That is a placebo effect.

ruveyn

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 10:19 am

(Thread moved from Autism discussion to PPR)

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 10:24 am

TallyMan wrote:

Why, one wonders. One would have thought the science board a more appropriate spot.

WilliamWDelaney
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 11:03 am

wavefreak58 wrote:
Chew on this:
No, I think I will just ignore you until you have learned to abstain from such hostile-sounding language. If you have something of value to contribute to the discussion, you should present it as such rather than trying to insult me with it.

Last edited by WilliamWDelaney on 12 Jun 2011, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 11:07 am

Philologos wrote:
TallyMan wrote:

Why, one wonders. One would have thought the science board a more appropriate spot.

I thought so, as well. Nothing relevant to PPR here, except tangentially. Perhaps there would be policy implications... But the actual effectiveness of these approaches is entirely a matter of science and tech.

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS

WilliamWDelaney
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 11:11 am

dionysian wrote:
Philologos wrote:
TallyMan wrote:

I thought so, as well. Nothing relevant to PPR here, except tangentially. Perhaps there would be policy implications... But the actual effectiveness of these approaches is entirely a matter of science and tech.
Well, the thing is, homeopathy is a subject on which emotions tend to run high, and the moderator thought that such might be poisonous to a forum that is intended to draw more enlightened, less passionate conversation. Furthermore, the subject of homeopathy has gotten highly tangled-up in politics.

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 11:14 am

WilliamWDelaney wrote:
dionysian wrote:
Philologos wrote:
TallyMan wrote:

Well, the thing is, homeopathy is a subject on which emotions tend to run high, and the moderator thought that such might be poisonous to a forum that is intended to draw more enlightened, less passionate conversation. Furthermore, the subject of homeopathy has gotten highly tangled-up in politics.

So instead of keeping topics where they belong, we want to turn PPR into a honeypot for toxic discussions? Shameful.

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 11:49 am

Homeopathy is less about science and more about belief! :lol: So I put it here. The thread had ceased to have anything to do with autism discussion.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 11:52 am

Philologos wrote:
TallyMan wrote:

Homeopathic "medicine" is not a science. It is bogus diddly squat.

It has failed every rigorous experimental test.

ruveyn