Why do you think republicans are flat-out bad?

Page 2 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 4:13 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:
I think republicans are bad because they are politicians.

I think Bachmann is a poor candidate for any office because she is clearly insane.

And democrats are not politicians? Please, please strive to be minimally rational and consistent.

ruveyn

Democrats are also politicians, and also despicable.

As long as we are painting with a broad brush, all major political parties are flat-out bad.

I think Bob Bennet, a republican, is personally a good and rational man. And by contrast, Orrin Hatch - a republican from the same state - is a corrupt, power-drunk douchenozzle.

There are a few democrats who are good people too.

In any political discussion where we're using a "they" and referring to a whole party, the party as a whole is a net negative. At least at the federal level, and usually at the state level too.

I worked on Bob Bennet's first senate campaign. :)
I was going to say something about Mormons actually being surprisingly moderate
Bob, the Udalls, Huntsman, Romney, Harry Reid etc but then you had to remind about Mr. Hatch.

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 5:56 pm

Nothing wrong with run of the mill conservatism. Where they go crazy is with the bible as science and law and the strange belief that some have that we don't need to pay our bills with revenue.

Even Reagan raised taxes at times. But for some reason anti-tax has become a religion today.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 5:56 pm

Jet102fm wrote:
I am an independent who tends to lean more towards the republican side. I don't usually watch the news, but I see that Michelle Bachmann officially made her campaign kickoff yesterday. She seems like a very promising candidate for the GOP. Why do people think so wrongly of conservatives and republicans? I know there are many different types of conservatives. It seems to me the opponents think organizations like Fox News, people like Sarah Palin, George W. Bush, Michelle Bachmann, Mike Huckabee, etc. are either ignorant, unethical or just plain bad. Not only their policies, but the same goes for them as a person. But why?

a) Fox News is completely stupid and literally made up out of BS from Ruper Murdor' ranch. You are NOT an independent if you take them seriously. You need 5 centibecks of stupidity to take them seriously.

b) I can tell you with 100% certainty that Michelle Bacman is at least as ignorant and evil as George W. Bush. All the evidence I need for this: http://theness.com/neurologicablog/inde ... eationism/ . It is a candidate that would like schools to teach creationism. It tells me plenty of things:

* She is either ignorant enough to buy into Creationist BS. OR she is evil enough to use it to pander to the extremist religious right and win their votes. Either way , if she thinks that pandering to these religious extremists is good for her country there is something terribly wrong with her.
* She has no respect to the US constitution. I admire your constitution and it is painful for me to see Americans that so happily would vote for people that publicly admit that will violate the constitution. You can't teach creationism in US schools. It is simple as that.

Icyclan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jun 2011, 6:24 pm

The only good politician is one who recognizes that the government is a necessary evil. Between the bible thumping, warhawking republicans and the wasteful, social engineering democrats, that leaves only Ron Paul.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 6:26 pm

Politicians are evil by default. And think about it, you wouldn't want anyone less than a sociopath to lead a government. Governments are faced with hilarious difficult decisions all the time and it takes a sociopath that has no conscience to take them.

Jet102fm
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jun 2011, 6:48 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
Jet102fm wrote:
I am an independent who tends to lean more towards the republican side. I don't usually watch the news, but I see that Michelle Bachmann officially made her campaign kickoff yesterday. She seems like a very promising candidate for the GOP. Why do people think so wrongly of conservatives and republicans? I know there are many different types of conservatives. It seems to me the opponents think organizations like Fox News, people like Sarah Palin, George W. Bush, Michelle Bachmann, Mike Huckabee, etc. are either ignorant, unethical or just plain bad. Not only their policies, but the same goes for them as a person. But why?

a) Fox News is completely stupid and literally made up out of BS from Ruper Murdor' ranch. You are NOT an independent if you take them seriously. You need 5 centibecks of stupidity to take them seriously.

b) I can tell you with 100% certainty that Michelle Bacman is at least as ignorant and evil as George W. Bush. All the evidence I need for this: http://theness.com/neurologicablog/inde ... eationism/ . It is a candidate that would like schools to teach creationism. It tells me plenty of things:

* She is either ignorant enough to buy into Creationist BS. OR she is evil enough to use it to pander to the extremist religious right and win their votes. Either way , if she thinks that pandering to these religious extremists is good for her country there is something terribly wrong with her.

a) Very few businessmen are genuinely that ignorant as you say they are. Besides, I treat all news the same, even Fox, as non-serious stuff. Just because a study (in case, the studies conducted on Fox News' alleged bias) comes to a conclusion, it doesn't necessarily mean that their conclusion is right.

b) Again, only few people in power, business or politics are genuinely ignorant, stupid or evil. I don't understand that logic when you tell me that schools shouldn't teach creationism. Tell me: Is it really that bad if somebody personally believes that someone up in the sky created the whole world in just seven days?

Vexcalibur wrote:
* She has no respect to the US constitution. I admire your constitution and it is painful for me to see Americans that so happily would vote for people that publicly admit that will violate the constitution. You can't teach creationism in US schools. It is simple as that.

In logic, I don't believe someone will get voted in or have any chance if they were to openly admit bypassing the constitution. Nothing about separation of church and state appears in our almost 235-year old document. Go figure it out: US Constitution. Where are you from, BTW?

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 6:51 pm

simon_says wrote:
Nothing wrong with run of the mill conservatism. Where they go crazy is with the bible as science and law and the strange belief that some have that we don't need to pay our bills with revenue.

Even Reagan raised taxes at times. But for some reason anti-tax has become a religion today.

Taxes don't need to be raised, but reformed. There should be no tax increases until the government cuts spending. The federal government spends so much money on things that should not even be touched by the federal government it's sickening.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 7:24 pm

is the Thread Head supposed to read:

"What is the reason for your belief that Republicans are bad?

OR

"What in your opinion is the reason Republicans are bad?

They are very different questions and it has been bothering me. I have tended to assume the first is the better reading, but I cannot rule either out.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 7:48 pm

Jet102fm wrote:

I, too, am perplexed by why Republicans are so disliked by their opponents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

Perhaps cluelessness as to why anybody could hate people who have ran a disgusting, racially themed campaign for decades and are currently in the process of waging class warfare against the poor may explain why.

Let me just say that in Canada there is no greater insult to a policy initiative than to call it ""Republican style ______________________". And that's for pretty good reason.

Last edited by Master_Pedant on 28 Jun 2011, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 7:51 pm

LKL wrote:
I think republicans are bad because they're hypocrites. The majority of the ideas that they're screaming about now under Obama actually started out as Republican ideas: personal mandate health insurance, the DREAM act, cutting subsidies for oil companies, etc. etc. etc. They are now threatening to wreck the natiional, and possibly global, economy in order to destroy programs that the vast majority of the American people support. They have gone beyond ideology into evil.

As for Bachman...! She's just as stupid as Palin, and f***ing insane to boot.

The only current Repub. candidates for president that aren't insane (Bachman), stupid (Pawlenty, Bachman, Palin (?), etc) or evil (Gingrich), are Romney and Huntsman. The former swings whichever way he thinks will get him elected, and the latter is too polite and not insane enough for the Tea Party Repubs. Neither can get the batshit crazy branch of the Repub. primary voters to give them the nomination.

Bachman is more of a wilful ignoramus than an idiot. She is, however, a diseased maniac who could potentially tear America apparent if elected.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 7:52 pm

Ron paul is a republican...though not like the rest of em, more like as a republican should be.

He's delivered 4,000 babies....hard to call him evil.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE4aMDOZzSc[/youtube]

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 7:54 pm

Jet102fm wrote:
b) Again, only few people in power, business or politics are genuinely ignorant, stupid or evil. I don't understand that logic when you tell me that schools shouldn't teach creationism. Tell me: Is it really that bad if somebody personally believes that someone up in the sky created the whole world in just seven days?

I have no problem with anyone believing whatever they want, as long as they don't try to force their beliefs on others. It also ticks me off when they use blatant LIES to try to do that.

Creationism should be taught in schools, but not in science classrooms. ALL the scientific evidence found so far supports evolution and an ancient earth and NO scientific evidence yet found falsifies them. NO scientific evidence has yet been found that supports the Young Earth Creationist view, and ALL the scientific evidence found so far falsifies that view. Really, it has NO place in a science classroom unless it were to be used as an example of something people believe in spite of the evidence instead of because of it.

IF creationism were to be taught in science classrooms, I would have no objections IF it were done honestly. Sure, present both sides and let the students decide. On one side, literally tons of evidence of many different types. On the other side, NO evidence, none at all, and that other side ignores much evidence, and denies or distorts the evidence it doesn't ignore. Really, if it were done honestly, creationists would be sorry they wished for their religious belief to be exposed for what it is in science classrooms.

Also, by dumbing down our children, they make our country less competitive in the global market, and with all the crises of modern life (climate change, pollution, disease, world hunger) we need more scientists to solve these problems, not fewer or dumber ones. So they are also harmful to humanity and the planet, not just America and Christ (they bring no honor to God or Christ by spreading lies and distortions in His name).

I recently posted a thread comparing belief in creationism to believing the earth is flat in spite of all evidence to the contrary. It really is that stupid and that ridiculous. I am not an atheist, but Dawkins (who is a famous one) makes a valid comparison between denying evolution and denying the Holocaust.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb2uB4_7CBY&NR=1&feature=fvwp[/youtube]

Also, Republican talk show hosts such as Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck have made incredibly ignorant and flat-out WRONG statements about evolution, yet many Republicans (including some on this forum) seem to take everything Glenn Beck says as gospel truth. There are some Democrat deniers of evolution, but the Republicans have practically made it their policy. Either they really are that stupid, or they are pandering to stupid people, or they are trying to make people stupider so they can more easily be controlled to serve the rich (another Republican policy is screw the poor, and give breaks only to those who don't need them). MOST of those arguing against evolution are basing their opinions on misinformation, really bad grossly inaccurate misinformation, so they aren't really stupid, just ignorant.

I wouldn't want a leader of a world superpower to be out of touch with reality. If a Presidential candidate seriously proposes teaching creationism as science (I have no objections to teaching it in philosophy, religion, or sociology classrooms), then I have to question how sane or rational that candidate is.

Last edited by TheBicyclingGuitarist on 28 Jun 2011, 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 8:02 pm

I wonder what the good, biologically informed doctor thinks of evolution.

"First, I think it was very inapproperiate, for the Presidency to be decided on a scientific matter."

Indeed, I too think it'd be great to have scientific know-nothings running the World's Only Superpower.

Source (the video title is pretty tasteless, but Ron Paul's statements are even more-so):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPoCsC8VT9g[/youtube]

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 8:08 pm

Bataar wrote:
simon_says wrote:

Taxes don't need to be raised, but reformed. There should be no tax increases until the government cuts spending. The federal government spends so much money on things that should not even be touched by the federal government it's sickening.

I see. So we'll just keep borrowing until some mythical balance is restored. Well, it's very principled of you to argue that your children's children should pay your debts because you are too enlightened to pay bills.

We are fighting two wars while suffering a tax collapse from a near depression. Are wars free? Why should your children's children pay for your right to watch night vision videos of explosions on CNN?

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 8:11 pm

science should be to the scientists....

just as many issues that are too deep into the past to have concrete facts, people will never agree on these things until we build a time machine.

I like finding out about ancient fossils though..i think it's pretty neat to hear of things that were here a long time ago.

With that said, Ron Paul stance is that schools should not be controlled by the federal government so this discussion of what should be important topics/class work in school would be a moot point, that would be up to the schools run by private entities.

cave_canem
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jun 2011, 8:59 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
Politicians are evil by default. And think about it, you wouldn't want anyone less than a sociopath to lead a government. Governments are faced with hilarious difficult decisions all the time and it takes a sociopath that has no conscience to take them.

I think you are describing Canada's Prime Minister.
(Although there are rumors he's actually a robot...)