Why do you think republicans are flat-out bad?

Page 5 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

cave_canem
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jun 2011, 10:51 pm

Philologos wrote:
C. Even accepting the basic premise, no two people would follow the same search path. Except for Siamese twins, who might.

What? Why would your only exception be Siamese twins?

Also, many people follow the same search paths using Google. You say you don't use Google - but as you type in your keywords, a list of the most common searches using the word(s) you have typed in appears in a drop-down list. With a simple click of the mouse, you can easily follow the same search path as many (sometimes millions?) of others?

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 12:51 am

cave_canem wrote:
Philologos wrote:
C. Even accepting the basic premise, no two people would follow the same search path. Except for Siamese twins, who might.

What? Why would your only exception be Siamese twins?

Also, many people follow the same search paths using Google. You say you don't use Google - but as you type in your keywords, a list of the most common searches using the word(s) you have typed in appears in a drop-down list. With a simple click of the mouse, you can easily follow the same search path as many (sometimes millions?) of others?

Siamese twins - it would depend on the precise - let us say splicing. If they are controlling a single set of keyboasrd / mouse limbs. And even then they would have to attend to the same things.

Certainly, the search enginers increasingly strive to inflict uniformity even on web browsing. But - unless one always clicks the first thing in line, which I certainly do not do - what one puts in the search box, and which path one follows after, depends on what is already in the mind which steers what one is seeking which determines which clues one follows. I doubt two non-novice users chosen at random would take the same path.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 4:31 pm

In liberal-leaning crowds, conservatives and Republicans tend to be villainized. Joe Arpaio (sheriff of Maricopa County, Arizona) is definitely outright evil; Rush Limbaugh is deceitful and an angry windbag. Glenn Beck has brought fringe right-wing conspiracy theories to the Fox News-watching conservative mainstream. Ann Coulter trades in anti-liberal polemics. Senator John McCain sold his soul to get the 2008 Republican presidential nomination and then in 2012 to retain his Senate seat against a Tea Party insurgency—a former prisoner of war in the Vietnam War supporting the U.S.'s disgraceful policy of torture of detainees in the "war against terrorism." President George W. Bush's policies put this country on the wrong track. I have a strong dislike for Religious Right Evangelical/Fundamentalist Christians.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 6:51 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
In liberal-leaning crowds, conservatives and Republicans tend to be villainized.... outright evil ... deceitful and an angry windbag... brought fringe right-wing conspiracy theories ... trades in anti-liberal polemics....sold his soul .. put this country on the wrong track. I have a strong dislike for Religious Right Evangelical/Fundamentalist Christians.

Puzzled. This reads to me as a mixed message. Are those mentioned being demonized or are they demons?

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 1:01 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
I think republicans are bad because they are politicians.

I think Bachmann is a poor candidate for any office because she is clearly insane.

Or just SO stupid she somehow comes across as nuts.

Gwenwyn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jul 2011, 3:20 pm

I think both parties villainize each other because there is an almost irrevocable ideological divide. Thus the other party becomes 'evil'.

Republicans, hating democrats, say democrats are welfare brats.
Democrats, hating republicans, say republicans are the super wealthy preying on the poor.

Are either correct? No, not really. Democrats tend to be younger (and thus less wealthy) so one might view their taxation rules with a wary eye. However, the same is true in reverse for republicans (i.e. that they wish to protect tax breaks with might benefit them the most). Neither side is inherently altruistic. Many republicans note that they 'donate' more than democrats, but often such donation is to churches, which a democrat may discount as a truly valid donation.

Ultimately, it probably boils down to fear. Fear, and lack of information (when it comes to hatred). I've seen some of what Bachman said. Some is outright stupid, some is randomly picked on by democrats. -shrug- People, right?

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 9:14 pm

In fact, for most people [I do not say there are not nutso ideologues on both sides - I have encountered both flavors] there is not that much pof an ideological divide.

But the rabblerousers do their work well, and many a one among the Socializers and Socialized becomes convinced that THOSE people are inimical demons.

A major goal is to keep people from talking and comparing notes. Keep them chanting, don't give give them time to think.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 7:20 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
I think Bachmann is a poor candidate for any office because she is clearly insane.

Bachmann is just another Sarah Palin, IMOO.

As for the GOP in general, they are for the party
for rich people who...

-Don't care about the good of society

-Cheat on or don't do their taxes

-Speak only for those who like giving the poor a hard time, ETC.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 8:09 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:

for rich people who...

:roll:

Okay so let's say you work really hard to start a business and you make some money as a result. Then you have someone that is a lazy bum come in and steal things from your store, but hey you can't do anything because he isn't as well off as you.

Do you honestly think that Government is any better than business, it's a thousand times worse and this thing about Government controlling businesses just causes more and more corruption. Most Rich people aren't like the irresponsible twits from Hollywood that think they are above the law.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 1:53 am

No, they're like the irresponsible twits from Goldman Sacks who buy the law.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 11:32 am

nobody ever did answer my question. How can people talk so much without access to the subject?

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 11:42 am

blauSamstag wrote:

for rich people who...

LOL, this is too funny. Everything you listed applies to democrats, not Republicans.

Republicans are the ones who want to help people get rich, not be dependant on the government

Do you remember when Obama was putting his cabinet together? How many people had to be turned away due to tax problems?

The Republicans are the ones who want to help the poor help themselves, not be tied to a government check with no hope to move beyond that.

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 12:13 pm

Bataar wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:

for rich people who...

LOL, this is too funny. Everything you listed applies to democrats, not Republicans.

Republicans are the ones who want to help people get rich, not be dependant on the government

Do you remember when Obama was putting his cabinet together? How many people had to be turned away due to tax problems?

The Republicans are the ones who want to help the poor help themselves, not be tied to a government check with no hope to move beyond that.

LOL you think the republicans are good.
LOL you think there is a difference.
hahaha this is so funny

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 1:10 pm

Whatever may be true of people who VOTE Republican or Democrat, so far as I can see the people who DO Republicans and Democrats are interested in grabbing the reins and do not much care how.

TheSnarkKnight
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jul 2011, 1:47 pm

Found this article comparing the Republican party to a cult. I certainly agree with the author. We established a representative democracy for the specific purpose of not having to fear any tyranny from the majority, yet that is exactly what the GOP has become. They're so large, so organized, and so homogenous in their ideals that they think they no longer need to compromise with their opposition.

As controversial as it may sound, I think that we should have a psychiatric litmus test for our elected officials. If a politician shows that they are incapable of critical thinking, have no common sense, or exhibit thought disorders such as megalomania, paranoia, psychopathy, malignant narcissism or magical thinking, they should be ineligible to hold office. This proposition should be given more consideration, when you consider that now just two people alone (the President and the Secretary of Defense) possess the authority to start a nuclear war. We don't allow psychotic people to own firearms, so why would we ever let one have control over our nuclear arsenal?

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 2:35 pm

remember Quis custodiet and nolo episcopari.

From what I hear - Herself takes an interest and reads among other things a lot of RepublicAn stuff - the Republicans are not all that uniform.

But say they were.

Much as I would LOVE to see elected officials capable of critical thinking - who are you going to trust to administer the test?

And most voters would rather have a pretty face than a sharp mind.

AND - how many peiople capable of critical thought really want to do politics?