Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 10:53 am

I saw a video about racist situations on job interview http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxW-XLOm4QU

That video was supposed to show how white people who were interviewing a black person were supposedly racist towards him. But what I saw seemed to be quite the opposite. The black person kept throwing fits, and the white people were overly nice and tried to calm him down. If anything they were opposite to racist; I mean if a white person were to throw similar fits, they would just show him a door.

I am also surprised as to why would black person do it anyway. I mean, if he has any interest in getting a job, why throw fit right at the interview where one is supposed to dress nicely and be on their best behavior? I bet he probably already have an offer in a much better paying job so he has nothing to lose? This would be the only explanation. But even then, I would be very embarassed if I was him.

Anyway, I am sure what happened on this video is not real anyway. I don't see how any "real" black person would act in such a way. Well, I know a lot of blacks do; but not the intelligent-looking ones, like the person you saw on this video.

Does anyone else thinks that the REAL purpose of the video is NOT the illustration of racism but rather an illustration of how ridiculous people can be when they accuse each other of racism?

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 11:27 am

LOL the Wesley Snipes and Seal line killed me

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 11:37 am

Roman wrote:
I. If anything they were opposite to racist; I mean if a white person were to throw similar fits, they would just show him a door.

That IS racism.

It is just as racist to talk extra nice as it is to talk extra nasty.

It is just as sexist te tell the little woman not to bother her head with finances as it is to make her put another log on the fire [love that song]

It is just as "agist": to talk loud and simple for the old codger as it is to fire him for beingf over the hill.

It is just as demeaning to explain things extra clearly for the poor Aspie [woman I know with a spectral daughter, tends to treat me like a teenager] as it is to call him a queer ret*d.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 11:58 am

Philologos wrote:
Roman wrote:
I. If anything they were opposite to racist; I mean if a white person were to throw similar fits, they would just show him a door.

That IS racism.

It is just as sexist te tell the little woman not to bother her head with finances as it is to make her put another log on the fire [love that song]

It is just as "agist": to talk loud and simple for the old codger as it is to fire him for beingf over the hill.

It is just as demeaning to explain things extra clearly for the poor Aspie [woman I know with a spectral daughter, tends to treat me like a teenager] as it is to call him a queer ret*d.

The best way to not be racist is to have nothing to do with anyone.

ruveyn

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 12:01 pm

I think it was uncalled for for him to flip out over the "What are you?" question since it's just casual but he definitely had a reason to be mad about the well spoken part. I don't think the dude meant to be racist but I guess he was just surprised to see a black man not speaking in ebonics.

ruveyn wrote:
Philologos wrote:
Roman wrote:

That IS racism.

ruveyn
And the best way to be safe is to leave my house, but then again a turtle that never sticks its head and limbs outside its shell never gets anywhere does it?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 12:23 pm

ruveyn wrote:

Yes. Add sexism into the mix...

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 12:25 pm

Philologos wrote:

It would also be pretty 'agist' to talk to the much older worker exactly the same as everyone else, making no adjustments knowing that it will disadvantage them.

See? It works both ways.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 1:32 pm

You are conflating accommodating with patronizing.

It is incumbent on you, when talking to a person, of any age, who has a communication disability to make accommodations for that disability. When dealing with a person with a hearing disability, it might mean enunciating more clearly, or even writing (or signing, if you are able). When dealing with a person with a language barrier, it might mean speaking more slowly, or choosing different vocabulary.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 1:44 pm

visagrunt wrote:
When dealing with a person with a language barrier, it might mean speaking more slowly, or choosing different vocabulary.

They get very insulted when you do this. Especially when you're talking loudly and you're asking them for a pint of Pedro's piss after you've already had eight of them.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 1:48 pm

Tequila wrote:
Philologos wrote:

It would also be pretty 'agist' to talk to the much older worker exactly the same as everyone else, making no adjustments knowing that it will disadvantage them.

See? It works both ways.

Talking to the seriously younger and the seriously older and in fact anybody other than yourself requires a "handshaking" process to find the right level. Includes talking to Herself, includes talking to a Francophone with just as much English as I have French, includes lecturing to a class of beginners, includes of course writing to you.

I talk to a six year old as close to speaking to a coeval as works. I talk to a very senior [THAT gap is rapidly narrowing] as close to speaking to a coeval as works [though with a bit of extra respect, I was so brought up].

The objection is to kindergarten teacher talk [which I have heard from a U prof addressed to grad students] and to nurse at the home for the senile talk, when addressed to one who is not so limited.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 4:41 pm

I find it incredibly ironic how anti-racism has been used to the same ends that racism was used to.

It used to be the color of your skin, now it's how skilled you are at being politically correct.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2011, 6:15 pm

donnie_darko wrote:
I find it incredibly ironic how anti-racism has been used to the same ends that racism was used to.

Actually, the series does cover that too.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVtF8b_0tts&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]

oldmantime
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 5:52 pm

I've never noticed white people to act this way. I know some are racist, but they didn't act like this. It seems the black perspective is just as racist as the white one to me.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 5:54 pm

Racism is often an excuse to act in a racist manner.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 5:58 pm

oldmantime wrote:
I've never noticed white people to act this way. I know some are racist, but they didn't act like this. It seems the black perspective is just as racist as the white one to me.

Yes - a lot of positive discrimination or reverse racism is itself racist because it involves giving different races or tradition primacy over what is considered the dominant one.

I would prefer merit, personally.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2011, 10:47 pm

Philologos wrote:

Even so, in his case it would be more "ageist" than "racist". He acted like 5 year old, so they talked to him as such. I mean what are they supposed to do when someone throws a fit? They pretty much face the choice of either talking "too nice" (to calm him down) or "too nasty" (to put him on his place). So, based on what you just said, they are forced to choose between two ways of being "racist". But the fact is that they would have exact same choice if there was a white man on his place throwing similar fits over something else.