Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

rocklobster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2011, 7:34 am

Since there are some friendly people towards Christians on this site, I thought I might try this discussion.
I think the Bible has quite an interesting cast. So, I was wondering who was the most popular figure in it on this site. I ruled out Jesus because, in a way, you're kind of required to like him.
Here's mine:
OT:
Moses
Jacob
Elijah
David (yeah, even with some of the bad stuff he did. Hey, we all screw up)
Daniel
NT:
Peter (Peter's the one apostle I feel the closest to. He seems the most human of the group)
Mary (the one who was Jesus's mom. I'm Catholic, after all :wink: )
Mary Magdalene (even without all the stuff Dan Brown tries to make us think is real, she's still an interesting person. Anyone who thinks Christianity has a bad picture of women needs to look at people like her)
Stephen
Paul (he has such a way with words)

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 7:40 am

When Moses was a Prince of Egypt he saw a task master beating a Hebrew slave bloody. Moses overcame the primordial Jewish urge to consider all sides of the question. What was the task master's childhood like.? To what values had he been exposed? Did he know any better? None of these things occurred to Moses. He just killed the slave beating bastard and buried his body in the sand.

ruveyn

Dingo7
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2011, 7:47 am

Im not religious at all... but i honestly did enjoy reading revelations... i cant really name a favorite figure though...

Edit: I went to a catholic highschool... so ive read alot of the bible...

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 8:10 am

Would you buy a used car from Paul the Apostle?

ruveyn

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 8:39 am

Ehud ben‑Gera
Micah with the house of gods
King Saul
Elijah
and of course

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 10:03 am

I don't know about "like", but I've always felt sympathy for Pontius Pilate. He was trying to FREE Jesus, after all. He purposely put Jesus up against the biggest scumball he could find, thinking that OF COURSE people would choose Jesus over a serial killer. When they didn't, he basically said he thought they were crazy and wanted no part in the matter. What more could he do? Poor guy; his name is mud for no good reason.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 11:25 am

ruveyn wrote:
Would you buy a used car from Paul the Apostle?

ruveyn

Depends on the car.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 11:32 am

The most interesting people don't get a lot of space.

Thomas and I wish we knew his real name sand his twin's of course. Micaiah the prophet.

Peter is fine, but you couldn't have a serious talk with him.

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 11:41 am

Asherah.

Enoch.

Ruth.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 11:49 am

King Uzziah of Judah, circa 790 BC to 740 BC, who had catapults made:

Quote:
Moreover Uzziah built towers in Jerusalem at the corner gate, and at the valley gate, and at the turning of the wall, and fortified them. Also he built towers in the desert, and dug many wells: for he had much cattle, both in the low country, and in the plains: husbandmen also, and vine dressers in the mountains, and in Carmel: for he loved husbandry. Moreover Uzziah had an host of fighting men, that went out to war by bands, according to the number of their account by the hand of Jeiel the scribe and Maaseiah the ruler, under the hand of Hananiah, one of the king's captains. The whole number of the chief of the fathers of the mighty men of valor were two thousand and six hundred. And under their hand was an army, three hundred thousand and seven thousand and five hundred, that made war with mighty power, to help the king against the enemy. And Uzziah prepared for them throughout all the host shields, and spears, and helmets, and habergeons, and bows, and slings to cast stones. And he made in Jerusalem engines, invented by cunning men, to be on the towers and upon the bulwarks, to shoot arrows and great stones withal. And his name spread far abroad; for he was marvelously helped, till he was strong.
-2 Chronicles 26:9-15

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 1:23 pm

The Beast, aka Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus.

What a nut! :D

rocklobster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2011, 2:19 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
I don't know about "like", but I've always felt sympathy for Pontius Pilate. He was trying to FREE Jesus, after all. He purposely put Jesus up against the biggest scumball he could find, thinking that OF COURSE people would choose Jesus over a serial killer. When they didn't, he basically said he thought they were crazy and wanted no part in the matter. What more could he do? Poor guy; his name is mud for no good reason.

To be honest, I feel the same way about Judas. I mean, we get very little info on the guy and he only comes up twice in the gospels. Once, when Mary Magdalene washes Jesus's feet with that very expensive alabaster ointment (the fact that it was expensive is an important plot point by the way. It's supposed to show how devoted she was to Jesus, the fact that she'd spend her entire wages on him instead of herself). Judas makes a big fuss about the fact that Mary is going so far out of her way. Then, of course, there's the betrayal scene. I want to know more about the guy and see just what led up to his betrayal. We got to see everything that led up to Peter's betrayal, after all. And his betrayal seems more honorable because unlike Judas, Peter actually repents. He and Jesus have a heart to heart and Peter becomes the first Pope. Judas, on the other hand, committed suicide. I believe Judas could've been forgiven, but he never gave Jesus the opportunity. If you want grace or forgiveness, you have to ask for it. That's why Judas's betrayal is more dishonorable than Peter's.

Reindeer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2011, 3:32 pm

Not religious but I would say Lucifer :D

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 4:03 pm

rocklobster wrote:
To be honest, I feel the same way about Judas. I mean, we get very little info on the guy and he only comes up twice in the gospels. Once, when Mary Magdalene washes Jesus's feet with that very expensive alabaster ointment (the fact that it was expensive is an important plot point by the way. It's supposed to show how devoted she was to Jesus, the fact that she'd spend her entire wages on him instead of herself). Judas makes a big fuss about the fact that Mary is going so far out of her way. Then, of course, there's the betrayal scene. I want to know more about the guy and see just what led up to his betrayal. We got to see everything that led up to Peter's betrayal, after all. And his betrayal seems more honorable because unlike Judas, Peter actually repents. He and Jesus have a heart to heart and Peter becomes the first Pope. Judas, on the other hand, committed suicide. I believe Judas could've been forgiven, but he never gave Jesus the opportunity. If you want grace or forgiveness, you have to ask for it. That's why Judas's betrayal is more dishonorable than Peter's.

I don't think God has a point scale for sins, and while [being sinners] we cannot eradicate our tendency to do so [I cannot help rating fooling around with students as more heinous in academics than plagiarism], I feel we need to try to avoid it.

Judas - I know a guy who might go the same route - did not get forgiven because he didn't go the route Peter went. Difference in personality structure, 90% probability. It is important to note that except for some traditional speculations wde know nothing of Judas' motivation. Peter is easy - he was a blusterer who found out he was not as bold as he thought when surrounded by armed guards. Judas - some evidence he was a sneakier type, less out front.

But what else? Every so often you hear someone surmising he was doing it for good, to prod Jesus into doing something messiah-like. For all we know, Jesus arranged the whole thing, told him to go say such and so,

Best not to speculate.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 12:08 am

JakobVirgil wrote:

I vote for that. Both types of Angels are the most intersting for me, because they are the creepy, freaky ones. 8)

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 12:16 am

The Angels do God's bidding, and have supernatural powers. Even worse, the Demons don't want to follow God's orders anymore, and prefer to do what they want... but oddly enough when they are "allowed" to go that far.

o.O! They were always my favorites. :3