Page 2 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 5:48 pm

@ Jacoby

I never said Ron Paul was like Obama aside from the fact they both have a screw loose.

I've actually done some research of Herman Cain, the man doesn't run around lieing all the time, I think that's a good thing.

Personally I want to see a Gingrich/Cain or a Cain/Gingrich ticket and have President Gingrich or President Cain appoint Ron Paul to audit the Federal Reserve.

Last edited by Inuyasha on 02 Oct 2011, 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 5:52 pm

Jacoby wrote:
@the rest

People will riot when they realize that their money is worthless and these corporations made out like bandits the whole time. The collapse is almost inevitable now. The regulations and subsidies are all to the benefit of the corporations not you.

Then why not end the corporate financing of our political system? Trans-national organizations have no business meddling in our political system.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 5:56 pm

marshall wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
@the rest

People will riot when they realize that their money is worthless and these corporations made out like bandits the whole time. The collapse is almost inevitable now. The regulations and subsidies are all to the benefit of the corporations not you.

Then why not end the corporate financing of our political system? Trans-national organizations have no business meddling in our political system.

Only if you end unions being able to donate to campaigns. One of the things the Democrat campaign reform bill tried to do was ban corporations from getting involved or force it to be made public, while Unions could donate freely and suffer no such scrutiny.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 6:06 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
marshall wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
@the rest

Only if you end unions being able to donate to campaigns. One of the things the Democrat campaign reform bill tried to do was ban corporations from getting involved or force it to be made public, while Unions could donate freely and suffer no such scrutiny.

I say end both. However I doubt any politicians will be willing. The Republicans will whine about it being unconstitutional and look to the courts to save their asses from accountability. The Republican party is 100% dependent on corporations and wealthy doners, while the Democratic party is probably 90% dependent. Neither one will ever agree to real finance reform.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 6:11 pm

marshall wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
marshall wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
@the rest

I say end both. However I doubt any politicians will be willing. The Republicans will whine about it being unconstitutional and look to the courts to save their asses from accountability.

Actually they took it to court because the Democrats were exempting all their donors and we saw what happened to the donors for the campaign in California concerning marriage. Death threats, harassment, people losing their jobs, etc. all because of what they believed, Republicans raised the issue and the United States Supreme Court agreed with the Republicans.

Then the Democrats tried to pass something else (again exempting their donors) and got blocked.

I'm all for transparency, however I'm not for people getting death threats over their political or religious beliefs.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 6:28 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
marshall wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
@the rest

[x] Thinks unions' donations were significant in comparison to corporate donations.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 7:26 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
marshall wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
marshall wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
@the rest

I say end both. However I doubt any politicians will be willing. The Republicans will whine about it being unconstitutional and look to the courts to save their asses from accountability.

Actually they took it to court because the Democrats were exempting all their donors and we saw what happened to the donors for the campaign in California concerning marriage. Death threats, harassment, people losing their jobs, etc. all because of what they believed, Republicans raised the issue and the United States Supreme Court agreed with the Republicans.

Then the Democrats tried to pass something else (again exempting their donors) and got blocked.

I'm all for transparency, however I'm not for people getting death threats over their political or religious beliefs.

It's a sham on both sides. If you can't look beyond the partisan BS you have your head wedged firmly up your rear end. The truth is neither side will ever be willing to turn down corporate campaign donations. At least not until the public goes to the streets to demand reform. The entire political system is corrupt at it's core.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 7:54 pm

I don't mind higher taxes for the wealthy so long as we raise taxes on everyone, which Democrats will not concede, EVER. Taxes should be cut from their current rates for the upper middle class though, and the lower-rich, and we need more tax brackets for those pulling in 10's to 100's of millions a year as they can afford more then the rich dentist they visit, rich accountant who prepares their taxes, or rich lawyer who do their legal bidding.

http://www.newyorker.com/talk/financial ... surowiecki

Quote:
The current debate over taxes takes none of this into account. At the moment, we have a system of tax brackets well suited to nineteenth-century New Zealand. Our system sets the top bracket at three hundred and seventy-five thousand dollars, with a tax rate of thirty-five per cent. (People in the second-highest bracket, starting at a hundred and seventy-two thousand dollars for individuals, pay thirty-three per cent.) This means that someone making two hundred thousand dollars a year and someone making two hundred million dollars a year pay at similar tax rates. LeBron James and LeBron James’s dentist: same difference.

Quote:
The explosion in wealth at the very top of the pyramid has given rise to what the commentator Matt Miller has called a “lower upper class”—doctors, lawyers, accountants, even some journalists, who make very good livings but enjoy nothing like the rewards that come to their peers in finance or in the executive suite. The lower upper class exerts a cultural influence out of proportion to its size, and so its anger toward the upper upper class—toward outrageous executive salaries and Wall Street shenanigans—could be a powerful force for reforming the way we deal with inequality.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 8:45 pm

MarketAndChurch wrote:
I don't mind higher taxes for the wealthy so long as we raise taxes on everyone,

This is the problem with saying things like "raising taxes for the rich", when in the US the case is "restoring taxes on the rich to common sense values. There is no need to raise taxes on everyone, because it is the rich who got the unfair discount already.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 9:26 pm

I'm gonna just step in and offer my perspective on this.

I come from a big family. The financial success of my eldest brother is hard for most of us to match, because he is very driven, and greedy.

To that end, he has a double masters in CS and Economics.

He's spent most of his adult life writing software for high finance. He has over a million in securities and has a fairly swank lifestyle. Swank enough to complain that for what he spent on the 'orient express' train tour experience they should have offered better service. Swank enough that the last time we had a phone conversation he was psyched because he - by pure accident - so accurately executed a docking procedure in his houseboat in singapore that he was able to get a license to pilot it in waters around singapore. But it's such a drag that his wife prefers that if she and the kids are onboard, their hainese captain should be piloting it.

Anyway. At this point he writes back-end software for an international securities exchange.

I am pretty sure that if i had this conversation with my brother, he would explain that the wallstreet position is mathematical - based on solid theory -and that wallstreet knows that they should cast themselves in the anti-regulation camp 100% because they know they will get some regulation, but they believe that they stand to benefit financially in the short term at least if it is as limited as possible.

And that this position does not mean that regulation should not occur - just that economists who work in the finance industry are pretty sure that arguing for less means they might make more money in the future.

Speaking for myself now, I believe that this means that we as those caught up in the machinery of the economy have a duty to cast ourselves on the opposition to their position, in hopes that we might strike a functional medium.

Which is what the finance industry is hoping for, but not fighting for. They will work within any set of rules we give them - we just have to figure out what those rules are.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 9:48 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
MarketAndChurch wrote:
I don't mind higher taxes for the wealthy so long as we raise taxes on everyone,

This is the problem with saying things like "raising taxes for the rich", when in the US the case is "restoring taxes on the rich to common sense values. There is no need to raise taxes on everyone, because it is the rich who got the unfair discount already.

everyone who enjoys the subsidized American life should pay more into it.

the rich don't get a discount. the top 20% pay virtually all taxes that largely benefits the bottom 80%.

it is only a "discount" when you apply your leftist lens of social justice and fairness.

Look I don't mind raising the uber wealthy's rates up exponentially and the moderately wealthy's rates up a bit as well so long as the poorer rich (accountants, lawyers, doctors) have their rates cut slightly(for shouldering %-wise most of the last decade's tax burden) and everyone else's rates are increased. You've got to meet conservatives half way and conservatives (as I'm attempting) have to meet you half way as well. That is a moderate position, a third-way if you will that would put American back on course to fiscal discipline.

We will no longer run a budget deficit and be able to pay off our total deficit over the course of the decade, and most likely run a surplus.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

02 Oct 2011, 10:34 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFVR9Nv43J4[/youtube]

Here's Adam Kokesh interviewing a couple "Occupy DC" protesters.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 10:39 pm

number5 wrote:
What do y'all think?

Nice try, but it will be something else next week because Wall Street is not the only place where America transacts its business; it is only the most famous.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Obres
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 10:53 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
That they are a group of morons or are being used for an excuse so this administration can declare martial law and suspend elections.

Inuyasha wrote:
Ordinarily this would be a rather idiotic view, however it is confirmed that Fast and Furious has been traced back to the White House, then you have Boeing, Gibson Guitars, GM, Obamacare, Solyndra, Light Squared, etc.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 10:57 pm

[img][800:600]http://eve.beyondreality.se/triple-facepalm.jpg[/img]

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 11:01 pm

I try to ignore Inuyasha; it saves having to wash those palmprints off my face.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.