Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2011, 10:20 pm

Quote:
"I do understand what love is, and that is one of the reasons I can never again be a Christian. Love is not self denial. Love is not blood and suffering. Love is not murdering your son to appease your own vanity. Love is not hatred or wrath, consigning billions of people to eternal torture because they have offended your ego or disobeyed your rules. Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being." — Dan Barker, "Losing Faith in Faith".

fermentedketchup
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Oct 2011, 11:06 pm

I couldn't agree more. Even though Christianity is Judaism 2.0 with a compassion upgrade, it still leaves a lot to be desired. And never attained, at least not without guilt attached.

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 1:45 am

So, pandabear, you give a quote, but what do you think yourself?

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 10:16 am

pandabear wrote:
Quote:
"I do understand what love is, and that is one of the reasons I can never again be a Christian. Love is not self denial. Love is not blood and suffering. Love is not murdering your son to appease your own vanity. Love is not hatred or wrath, consigning billions of people to eternal torture because they have offended your ego or disobeyed your rules. Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being." — Dan Barker, "Losing Faith in Faith".

Its funny he writes like a sufi.

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 11:14 am

JakobVirgil wrote:

do you think sufis are the only sufis? Human wisdom keeps popping up in all times in all places.

We have all heard it before. Truth is truth.

ruveyn

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 11:20 am

That reminds me of when I drove by a beggar the other day. He had "Jesus loves us" written in white on his bag pack. I figured it might have been put there at some point for religious appeal. I thought it was unfortunate that some beggar felt he had to play the believer role to get more then. Well I had nothing on me at the time, and as he walked by I said, with the windows closed "Jesus loves you so much, that you're out in the street, getting sun burns, wearing dirty cloths, and obviously starving." If I mentioned that to mother she would say "There is not a single bird that goes hungry. God takes care of his children." :?

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 11:36 am

LiendaBalla wrote:
That reminds me of when I drove by a beggar the other day. He had "Jesus loves us" written in white on his bag pack. I figured it might have been put there at some point for religious appeal. I thought it was unfortunate that some beggar felt he had to play the believer role to get more then. Well I had nothing on me at the time, and as he walked by I said, with the windows closed "Jesus loves you so much, that you're out in the street, getting sun burns, wearing dirty cloths, and obviously starving." If I mentioned that to mother she would say "There is not a single bird that goes hungry. God takes care of his children." :?

wow, um, clearly there must be birds that go hungry.

I mean animals go where the food is, right, but if you have a year when for some reason food is available in unusually great abundance, this will inevitably lead to more successful breeding among the birds - more food, so they produce more viable eggs.

By the time these eggs hatch, there is a fair chance that the bounty of food has passed or at least waned, and perhaps there is now not enough food in the area to support the expanded population.

'course, sometimes the mother bird just shoves the chicks out of the nest before they can fly, letting them plunge to their deaths on the ground below, to be eaten by the next passing carnivore.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 12:16 pm

pandabear wrote:
Quote:

It only had to be done once. And it was done, so he said "It is done."

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 12:19 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
LiendaBalla wrote:

wow, um, clearly there must be birds that go hungry.

I mean animals go where the food is, right, but if you have a year when for some reason food is available in unusually great abundance, this will inevitably lead to more successful breeding among the birds - more food, so they produce more viable eggs.

By the time these eggs hatch, there is a fair chance that the bounty of food has passed or at least waned, and perhaps there is now not enough food in the area to support the expanded population.

'course, sometimes the mother bird just shoves the chicks out of the nest before they can fly, letting them plunge to their deaths on the ground below, to be eaten by the next passing carnivore.

Somehow I think you're not a very good ornithologist. Predatorial action tends to keep the population below carrying capacity in reality.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 12:19 pm

shrox wrote:
pandabear wrote:
Quote:

What does that mean?

Seriously.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 1:07 pm

Gedrene wrote:
shrox wrote:
pandabear wrote:
Quote:

What does that mean?

Seriously.

It means that the "blood and suffering" was only given to one man, Jesus.

And the whole quote above basically has it ass backwards, that's one reason I don't post in this section much, many aren't even trying to understand.

The only part that is correct in the above is this: "True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being," Since most don't apply this truth, most choose to not understand.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 1:19 pm

shrox wrote:

And the whole quote above basically has it ass backwards, that's one reason I don't post in this section much, many aren't even trying to understand.

The only part that is correct in the above is this: "True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being," Since most don't apply this truth, most choose to not understand.

So all the "blood and suffering" others have endured before or after Jesus is meaningless in the eyes of your god?

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 1:24 pm

shrox wrote:

No, I actually think you mean all sin was redeemed by Jesus. I don't think Jesus endured all blood and suffering.

shrox wrote:

No, I don't think you have got...

shrox wrote:
... what he meant.

You don't understand him. Why would a loving God send people to hell? There's an example of what was said.

It sounds like you're trying to shoehorn the Panda's words in to saying that he meant to profess a dogma.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 2:21 pm

So this post is attacking Christians Jews and Muslims.

I find it funny that so many people, that do not even believe in God, often talk about him more then those who do :lol:

You do not see Christians, talking about what its like to not believe in God.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 2:24 pm

Joker wrote:
So this post is attacking Christians Jews and Muslims.

I find it funny that so many people, that do not even believe in God, often talk about him more then those who do :lol:

You do not see Christians, talking about what its like to not believe in God.

No, you see them talking about how those who don't believe will inevitably be punished for it.

I don't see what's strange about people talking about something that's peculiar to them.

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2011, 2:36 pm

ruveyn wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:

do you think sufis are the only sufis? Human wisdom keeps popping up in all times in all places.

We have all heard it before. Truth is truth.

ruveyn

I mean that the irony is that the same sentiments (he uses to explain his departure from religion)
are said by religious people it explain their faith.
The same feelings in a different context lead to piety.

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/