Veteran

15 Oct 2011, 2:20 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/0 ... 98993.html

What could possibly go wrong?

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2011, 2:47 pm

What the Republican party has yet to realize (and quite a few Democrats too it must seem at points), is that they are not the world.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

15 Oct 2011, 4:04 pm

These people are insane, what's next? Monthly drug tests for every citizen? A breathalyzer on every car?

What it really seems to be is that the government just doesn't want anyone encroaching their own drug turf. The biggest cartel in the world is the US government. Raise the scarcity and make more money.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2011, 4:09 pm

I hope and pray the courts will dispose of this bill as unconstitutional if it becomes law. This bill clearly violates the 9th amendment, which guarantees a mode of privacy for U.S. citizens.

ruveyn

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2011, 5:37 pm

This will just give an economical boost and resurrect the black markets n places where those drugs were legalized. Great news for the thugs, I guess.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 2:37 am

I love that Radley Balko now writes for Huffpo, he's probably my single most reposted source and having that originating address makes him much harder to dismiss for some people than when he was at Reason. I still follow him at his own site, www.theagitator.com, but I really hope the exposure that his new gig gives him will get more people to pay attention to some of the really shocking civil liberties issues he covers.

As to the piece in question, we already have similar laws on the books, though not quite that broad. Technically, it's illegal for me to smoke Cuban cigars when I'm in Canada even though they're legal to buy and smoke there, not that I've been dissuaded or anything. Hopefully the proposed law goes down in flames, or perhaps even better, is enacted and shot down by the Supremes in a precedent setting sort of way.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 6:10 am

Dox47 wrote:
Hopefully the proposed law goes down in flames, or perhaps even better, is enacted and shot down by the Supremes in a precedent setting sort of way.

I imagine Diana Ross going, 'Stop! In the name of drugs', would set quite a precedent.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 8:09 am

anyone that ever flew a plane between western countries are guilty of smugling, your brain contains DMT, a regulated substance.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 1:11 pm

It's clear that much of the political spectrum on here denounces this as stupid on many principles. Move along people...

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2011, 1:20 pm

I thought the Teabaggin' right was a fan of freedom. Presumably they have undue influence on the committee that's proposing this since the Tea Party base has outsized influence over House Speaker John Boehner.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 10:05 am

Oodain wrote:
anyone that ever flew a plane between western countries are guilty of smugling, your brain contains DMT, a regulated substance.

Cute, but legally incorrect.

You cannot be prosecuted for the offence in such circumstances because you lack the mens rea necessary for the offence. You never formed an intention to possess it, therefore you can never be guilty of an offence for the presence of endogenous DMT in your body.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 10:29 am

Gedrene wrote:
It's clear that much of the political spectrum on here denounces this as stupid on many principles. Move along people...
Can't we further enjoy this rare moment of consensus and keep on bashing the idea?

It is stupid.

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 1:41 pm

ruveyn wrote:
I hope and pray the courts will dispose of this bill as unconstitutional if it becomes law. This bill clearly violates the 9th amendment, which guarantees a mode of privacy for U.S. citizens.

ruveyn

This.

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 9:29 pm

visagrunt wrote:

You cannot be prosecuted for the offence in such circumstances because you lack the mens rea necessary for the offence. You never formed an intention to possess it, therefore you can never be guilty of an offence for the presence of endogenous DMT in your body.

Sadly, that concept isn't what it used to be as far as American Jurisprudence goes. Google 3 felonies a day, it does a better job of explaining the erosion of the protection than I can.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 9:59 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Oodain wrote:

i am not a jura candidate so to be honest i wouldtn know.
are you sure of the legality issues in other countries? i am not.
are you sure that the argument is bulletproof?

now in reality i dont think any sane judge would ever rule against a person in this case, nor do i think it will devolve to that point.
i do think the whole concept of legality of substance without context is ridicoulous though

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.