Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Nov 2011, 7:39 pm

I love Aristotle for his unapologetic reasoning! Any takers? :twisted:

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 7:50 pm

I have many philosophers that I like, but Nietzsche is my favorite.

He rejected both the politically correct egalitarianism of the left and the illogical traditions/religions of the right. Nietzsche took many radical views, but it is important to understand that his belief is that there no absolute truth, and that we all have different perspectives of life, therefore morality is subjective.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 8:21 pm

David Hume for showing the limitations of inductive reasoning.

Karl Popper for distinguishing science from pseudo science

ruveyn

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 8:25 pm

King Solomon of Israel. The way he explains things, I just find him very relatable, and like...right. A lot of what Solomon seemed to stress was, that by becoming wise in your own eyes, you become a fool. So, if you get to the point where you consider yourself "wise" you're then likely to be a fool yourself. I love the book of Proverbs and Ecclesiastes, they're so great.

OH! I forgot about Confucius! Confucius and King Solomon read like they're brothers, almost. It's remarkable. I've not read as many works of Confucius, though, but I believe I've read everything Solomon wrote.

Oh yeah, and CS Lewis. Guy in my signature. Christian apologist, but even if you're an atheist, you gotta admit he's a smart dude.

Obviously, Jesus Christ is the best philosopher ever, in my opinion. The stuff he says, it's really very insightful about the human condition. Also, one thing I really liked about Jesus Christ is, in his statements alone, he encourages people to think he'll answer questions with questions back. Everything he said, wasn't just like "So everything works this and this way exactly." He wants us to think for ourselves and figure out things. That's one neat contrast I see, the fact that Jesus worked like that, and still works like that. Islam, for example, everyone collected like thousands of pages of stuff about everything Muhammad said, to his opinions on lima beans and how to avoid flatuence. Jesus, meanwhile, encouraged people to ponder what he said, rather than like, give everyone ALL the answers about everything. I like that, I love a teacher who encourages his students to actually think about stuff, rather than just accept it and shut up.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2011, 9:39 pm

minervx wrote:

He rejected both the politically correct egalitarianism of the left and the illogical traditions/religions of the right. Nietzsche took many radical views, but it is important to understand that his belief is that there no absolute truth, and that we all have different perspectives of life, therefore morality is subjective.

Nietzsche rants better than anyone else. Unfortunately he was as mad as a march hare.

ruveyn

Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 2:05 am

Alvin Plantinga for his work on the nature of necessity; the problem of evil, epistemology and proper function.

Was not spoken of the soul.

mar00
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 7:00 am

Wittgenstein - because he finally looked into language iself. Not to metion his work on mathematical logic.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 12:41 pm

gnatterfly wrote:
I love Aristotle for his unapologetic reasoning! Any takers? :twisted:

Too bad he could not count a man's ribs or a woman's teeth properly.

Also his howler about two unequal weights not falling at the same rate. Any kid with a big rock and a little rock could have disproved that. Or an astronaut.

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C5_dOEyAfk

ruveyn

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 1:10 pm

ruveyn wrote:
minervx wrote:

Nietzsche rants better than anyone else. Unfortunately he was as mad as a march hare.

ruveyn

just part of his charm.

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 1:36 pm

Although not a philosopher by trade he did write about philosophical subjects in a manner far more sensible than many philosophers. Marcus Tullius Cicero may have been merely a Senator of the Roman Republic at it's end, but his writings in my view are superior to Plato.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 2:17 pm

I probably like King Solomon and C.S. Lewis best.
Why? 1000Knives' reasons.

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 2:36 pm

right at the moment, it would have to be mikhail bakunin.

mikhail bakunin wrote:
... We have said that man is not only the most individualistic being on earth – he is also the most social. It was a great mistake on the part of Jean Jacques Rousseau to have thought that primitive society was established through a free agreement among savages. But Jean Jacques is not the only one to have said this. The majority of jurists and modern publicists, either of the school of Kant or any other individualist and liberal school, those who do not accept the idea of a society founded upon the divine right of the theologians nor of a society determined by the Hegelian school as a more or less mystical realisation of objective morality, nor of the naturalists' concept of a primitive animal society, all accept, nolens volens, and for lack of any other basis, the tacit agreement or contract as their starting point.

According to the theory of the social contract primitive men enjoying absolute liberty only in isolation are antisocial by nature. When forced to associate they destroy each other's freedom. If this struggle is unchecked it can lead to mutual extermination. In order not to destroy each other completely, they conclude a contract, formal or tacit, whereby they surrender some of their freedom to assure the rest. This contract becomes the foundation of society, or rather of the State, for we must point out that in this theory there is no place for society; only the State exists, or rather society is completely absorbed by the State.

Society is the natural mode of existence of the human collectivity, independent of any contract. It governs itself through the customs or the traditional habits, but never by laws. It progresses slowly, under the impulsion it receives from individual initiatives and not through the thinking or the will of the law-giver. There are a good many laws which govern it without its being aware of them, but these are natural laws, inherent in the body social, just as physical laws are inherent in material bodies. Most of these laws remain unknown to this day; nevertheless, they have governed human society ever since its birth, independent of the thinking and the will of the men composing the society. Hence they should not be confused with the political and juridical laws proclaimed by some legislative power, laws that are supposed to be the logical sequelae of the first contract consciously formed by men.

The state is in no wise an immediate product of nature. Unlike society, it does not precede the awakening of reason in men. The liberals say that the first state was created by the free and rational will of men; the men of the right consider it the work of God. In either case it dominates society and tends to absorb it completely.

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2011, 3:34 pm

ruveyn wrote:

Karl Popper for distinguishing science from pseudo science

+1

Beaux
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Nov 2011, 7:43 am

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

Has it been proven that madness isn't the height of genius? :twisted:

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2011, 7:46 am

Socrates.
Though only referenced through Plato it's clear that the basis of what he believes is true: There is a universally held morality that people cannot decide on, whether through spineless argumentum ad numerum or argumentum ad verecundiam.
No sophist and no god should dissuade you from the truth.
Believe in doing good no matter how many enemies you make who want to slander you with petty self-serving political mindgames.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2011, 9:20 am

Homer Simpson.