What is the Mark of Cain and how do I get one?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 1:03 pm

Quote:
13 But Cain answered the Lord, "My punishment is too great to bear!
14 Since You are banishing me today from the soil, and I must hide myself from Your presence and become a restless wanderer on the earth, whoever finds me will kill me."
15 Then the Lord replied to him, "Therefore, whosoever slayeth Cain vengeance will suffer vengeance seven times over. And the Lord set a Mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him.

red hair?
The letter Vav?
a horn?
Why and how would it prevent people killing him?
where do I get one?

full points only for those that show chapter and verse.
(all scripture is welcome including Ginzbergs the Legends of the Jews).

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

Last edited by JakobVirgil on 28 Oct 2011, 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 1:09 pm

I have a mark on my noggin where no hair grows. I started calling it my Mark of Cain after I read Demian by Hesse. I felt rather cursed as a child.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 1:42 pm

Quote:
What is the Mark of Cain?

Here he is:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhm-22Q0PuM[/youtube]

:lol:

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 4:08 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Quote:
What is the Mark of Cain?

Here he is:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhm-22Q0PuM[/youtube]

that along with the 999 plan being 666 upside down means I can not vote for him
on the off chance he is the anti-Christ.
too spooky

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 5:19 pm

Unspecified in Genesis, everything else is irrelevant. However the Cain-side Lamech, the husband of Adah and Zillah, bragged to his wives about killing a person for wounding him and said, "If Cain shall be avenged sevenfold, truly Lamech seventy and sevenfold." So, the mark that God gave Cain would serve as a warning. Seth was born after the event of Cain murdering Abel, which confines the event of the murder to within the first 130 years. Populations grow exponentially, but in 130 years there might have still been few enough people on the planet for such information about the meaning of Cain's mark to be proliferated universally. Given that his descendant Lamech was bragging about being Divinely protected it would seem to be the case that Cain probably felt it was something to brag about rather than be ashamed of.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 5:41 pm

Quote:
What is the Mark of Cain

My guess...

mar00
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 6:34 pm

And so I red Markov Chain...

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 6:38 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Unspecified in Genesis, everything else is irrelevant. However the Cain-side Lamech, the husband of Adah and Zillah, bragged to his wives about killing a person for wounding him and said, "If Cain shall be avenged sevenfold, truly Lamech seventy and sevenfold." So, the mark that God gave Cain would serve as a warning. Seth was born after the event of Cain murdering Abel, which confines the event of the murder to within the first 130 years. Populations grow exponentially, but in 130 years there might have still been few enough people on the planet for such information about the meaning of Cain's mark to be proliferated universally. Given that his descendant Lamech was bragging about being Divinely protected it would seem to be the case that Cain probably felt it was something to brag about rather than be ashamed of.

Indeed I support this message :wink:

Tadzio
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2011, 3:58 am

JakobVirgil wrote:
Quote:
13 But Cain answered the Lord, "My punishment is too great to bear!
14 Since You are banishing me today from the soil, and I must hide myself from Your presence and become a restless wanderer on the earth, whoever finds me will kill me."
15 Then the Lord replied to him, "Therefore, whosoever slayeth Cain vengeance will suffer vengeance seven times over. And the Lord set a Mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him.

red hair?
The letter Vav?
a horn?
Why and how would it prevent people killing him?
where do I get one?

full points only for those that show chapter and verse.
(all scripture is welcome including Ginzbergs the Legends of the Jews).

Do you mean "The legends of the Jews", Volume 3, by Louis Ginzberg, (1911), page 214 [2007, page 179]:
"leprosy was Cain's punishment for the murder of Abel" as leprosy being the mark?

"The Legends of the Jews", Volumes I & II by Rabbi Louis Ginzberg, (1909, 2008), page 76:
"Then God gave him the dog as a protection against the wild beasts, and to mark him as a sinner, He afflicted him with leprosy."

"Animosity, the Bible, and us: some European, North American, and South African Perspectives" by John T. Fitzgerald, Fika Van Rensburg, Herrie F. van Rooy(2009), page 31:
"...suggestions...Cain's mark: leprosy, a horn on the forehead, a black skin, a wild appearance, a brand mark in the face, a tattoo, a specific hairstyle, and so. The Jewish tradition that explained the 'mark' of Cain as a dog who would accompany Cain and keep away the enemies.... ...his own name, because of the sound combination...a thunderclap...stop to downward spiral of violence...sevenfold avengement..."

"The mark of Cain" by Ruth Mellinkoff (1981), pages 19-23:
etc.

2,660 other results.

Around 1800 C.E. nGrams gives references to Bible & Koran's citations implying the mark's involvement.
http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?co ... moothing=3

My Becker's Nevus has been called everything, so it has probably been called the mark of Cain too, but I prefer the version it's Puck's animal manifestation for Human form, and mix that with manifestations of Priapus, for many Church officials chasing me down, with frustrations leading to attempted murder, so it fails as a mark to not to try to kill me.

Tadzio

number5
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2011, 8:40 am

Vigilans wrote:
Quote:
What is the Mark of Cain

My guess...

Very niiice.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2011, 1:27 pm

I know I shouldn't laugh but... :lol:

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2011, 5:59 pm

In my opinion the mark of Cain is just a metaphor.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2011, 6:36 pm

It was a Letter C on the forehead

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVUjdTm1u18&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLC23FBD83737320BC[/youtube]

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2011, 6:14 am

it's a barcode on the forehead. any good tattooist should be able to assist.

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 1:50 am

the message is that you'll have this mark and no one will touch you, a protector of sorts. It was a gift to the first human being to murder, perhaps because they might have seen animals die, but awareness of life and death is limited to their limited experience, so he is the only one who gets a pass for something as vile as murder.

it doesn't matter if people existed and if they ever saw him, the point is that this character in the text gets a pass. The rest of us do not.

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2011, 1:58 am

Gen. 6:18 "But with thee will I establish my covenant; and thou shalt come into the ark, thou, and thy sons, and thy wife, and thy sons' wives with thee."

Unless any of the eight persons saved in the ark were descendants of Cain, I doubt there are any persons alive today, who would have the mark. So I guess we just can't know for sure what the mark was.