Is it good when the media loves the president?

Page 4 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

WilliamWDelaney
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 2:18 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
WilliamWDelaney wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
I'm well informed and certainly no right-winger. I have tired of humanity a long time ago. So why keep being a gadfly? Well you see doing the right thing either has two outcomes. One: I overcome all odds, the world become better and I get to live a better life because everyone else is and thus people have less reason to screew up each other's lives.
Two: People try and screw me over, but due to the natural moral fact that underlies all sapience eventually I am vindicated, even pusthumously.

Well, as to your being "well informed" I would question your sources of information, but I'm not really interested in doing that. I am ever more thoroughly convinced though that there is no human who is righteous, there is no one who does good, everyone is evil, born evil and destined to die for their evil. More and more you convince me of this, and it saddens me more than anything else anymore. So much there is to put up with, but why should that be so? Why should there be anything to put up with? Why must humans go out of their way to commit heinous acts against each other? Why be so reprehensible and then even defend it with so many contrivances? Why not just stop doing what is wrong rather than going about pretending that there is nothing wrong?

People who can justify to themselves feelings of contempt or hatred toward their fellow man are ultimately the only people who can truly act with evil intentions toward their fellow man. If you want to be a truly good person, learn to forgive your fellow man for the evil they do. If you realize that your neighbor still deserves to be treated with respect, having wronged or slighted you occasionally, you cannot help but behave with compassion and respect toward your neighbor.

And what of people who can justify to themselves treating other people horribly? You think that I don't try to forgive? You're WRONG. But after so much persistent abuse there is a point at which forgiveness becomes just about impossible. You care to try to understand THAT?
And yet this weakens you. Losing your empathy toward people takes away from your ability to understand their behavior, and this further empowers them to hurt you. Choosing to acknowledge and understand other people's thoughts also provides you with the means of controlling them and protecting yourself from them. The fact that this requires you to risk liking them is just part of the game.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 2:21 pm

WilliamWDelaney wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
WilliamWDelaney wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Gedrene wrote:
I'm well informed and certainly no right-winger. I have tired of humanity a long time ago. So why keep being a gadfly? Well you see doing the right thing either has two outcomes. One: I overcome all odds, the world become better and I get to live a better life because everyone else is and thus people have less reason to screew up each other's lives.
Two: People try and screw me over, but due to the natural moral fact that underlies all sapience eventually I am vindicated, even pusthumously.

Well, as to your being "well informed" I would question your sources of information, but I'm not really interested in doing that. I am ever more thoroughly convinced though that there is no human who is righteous, there is no one who does good, everyone is evil, born evil and destined to die for their evil. More and more you convince me of this, and it saddens me more than anything else anymore. So much there is to put up with, but why should that be so? Why should there be anything to put up with? Why must humans go out of their way to commit heinous acts against each other? Why be so reprehensible and then even defend it with so many contrivances? Why not just stop doing what is wrong rather than going about pretending that there is nothing wrong?

People who can justify to themselves feelings of contempt or hatred toward their fellow man are ultimately the only people who can truly act with evil intentions toward their fellow man. If you want to be a truly good person, learn to forgive your fellow man for the evil they do. If you realize that your neighbor still deserves to be treated with respect, having wronged or slighted you occasionally, you cannot help but behave with compassion and respect toward your neighbor.

And what of people who can justify to themselves treating other people horribly? You think that I don't try to forgive? You're WRONG. But after so much persistent abuse there is a point at which forgiveness becomes just about impossible. You care to try to understand THAT?

And yet this weakens you. Losing your empathy toward people takes away from your ability to understand their behavior, and this further empowers them to hurt you. Choosing to acknowledge and understand other people's thoughts also provides you with the means of controlling them and protecting yourself from them. The fact that this requires you to risk liking them is just part of the game.

Bleh, you aren't even willing to understand.

WilliamWDelaney
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 2:25 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
WilliamWDelaney wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
WilliamWDelaney wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Gedrene wrote:

Bleh, you aren't even willing to understand.
Do you think that I am judging or condemning you? I don't even know what your situation is, and it's not even perfectly clear to me what we are talking about here. If I were to pretend that I understand, I would prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that I don't intend to understand.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 2:28 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Gedrene wrote:

Well, as to your being "well informed" I would question your sources of information, but I'm not really interested in doing that. I am ever more thoroughly convinced though that there is no human who is righteous, there is no one who does good, everyone is evil, born evil and destined to die for their evil.

Really now? Well since everyone does evil and no one is good I think you seriously need a checkup because that is most certainly not the case. This is mere dogmatism.

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
More and more you convince me of this, and it saddens me more than anything else anymore. So much there is to put up with, but why should that be so? Why should there be anything to put up with? Why must humans go out of their way to commit heinous acts against each other? Why be so reprehensible and then even defend it with so many contrivances? Why not just stop doing what is wrong rather than going about pretending that there is nothing wrong?

Well the answer to your last question is because one many people don't care enough and two entrenched interests. Three is ignorance.
THe penultimate is because people want to feel they are correct because it is easier than actually being correct.
The one before that is not true. Often a bad deed is simply easier.
The one before can be answered by my answer to your last question. Same with the one before that.

As for the first line I don't think you understand; you aren't much different to most people on this website iamnotaparakeet. You are just as bound to a dogmatic way of doing things as they are.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 2:30 pm

Jojoba wrote:
It is troubling at how biased some in the media can be for candidates anymore. Media commentator, Bernie Goldberg had an example yesterday that was outright comical of a question a CNN reporter asked President Obama. Overall, simply it's not healthy for the nation. We seem to be slowing moving toward a split, personalization of where we get our news.

"The Dumbest Media Question I’ve Ever Heard"

http://www.bernardgoldberg.com/the-dumb ... ver-heard/

Oops, almost missed that one. Yeah, it sounds a lot like news reporting standards slipping badly. You don't have to be, yourself, objective but you at least have to pretend the part.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 3:28 pm

When obama starts getting sweetheart questions from a male prostitute with a 'news' website who somehow gets a 1-day press pass every time he shows up for a whitehouse press conference, we'll have a basis for comparison.

As for the rest, I never said George W Bush was evil. I said he has a psychopathic personality disorder that allows him to live in a world where actions and consequences are completely separate things, and he can believe that he has never made a mistake.