In your view was Jesus a human or God or both ?

Page 5 of 8 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 12:17 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
91 wrote:
^^^

I am not claiming that someone spontaneously returned from the dead, rather one was raised from the dead by God. That is not the same thing.

It's a matter of faith, baby!

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

(The following may or may not be relevant to your beliefs, Bill. I apologize in advance if it is not.)

Every belief, both scientific and otherwise, is a matter of faith. Man does not possess -- nor is he ever thought by anyone sane to possess -- absolute knowledge. Rather, he weighs the one evidence against the other evidence, and thus eventually reaches reasoned conclusions -- conclusions that are dependent upon his faith in the correctness of his reasoning.
Scientists are such people; Christians are such people. The phrase "I know..." is always hubris, unless it is short for "After evaluating the evidence, I have come to believe..."

Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 12:23 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Every belief, both scientific and otherwise, is a matter of faith. Man does not possess -- nor is he ever thought by anyone sane to possess -- absolute knowledge. Rather, he weighs the one evidence against the other evidence, and thus eventually reaches reasoned conclusions -- conclusions that are dependent upon his faith in the correctness of his reasoning.
Scientists are such people; Christians are such people. The phrase "I know..." is always hubris, unless it is short for "After evaluating the evidence, I have come to believe..."

Just a silly word game of equivocation. Indeed how can you even talk about 'evidence of god'? Do you have any falsifiable theory of god to begin with?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 2:03 pm

01001011 wrote:

Just a silly word game of equivocation. Indeed how can you even talk about 'evidence of god'? Do you have any falsifiable theory of god to begin with?

Of course he doesn't. There is no such theory. The concept of God is excluded from empirical discourse. God is a fantastical notion right up there with ghosts and unicorns. Even if God existed we would have no way of knowing that.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 2:50 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
91 wrote:
^^^

I am not claiming that someone spontaneously returned from the dead, rather one was raised from the dead by God. That is not the same thing.

(The following may or may not be relevant to your beliefs, Bill. I apologize in advance if it is not.)

I think I followed your reasoning about faith (not meaning to be funny here!), and that's cool for you.
For me, faith is letting go of knowledge and reason, and is rather a childlike trust.
And for the record, in no other matter other than that pertaining to Christ would I freely surrender my rationality. Then again, in my religious tradition, faith is a gift from the Spirit, inseparable from the free gift of grace, rather than a choice we make.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 2:54 pm

leejosepho wrote:
91 wrote:

So then, God did not raise Himself ... and yet it would seem He did?

Kraichgauer wrote:

I have yet to ever find faith illogical.

That's absolutely correct. It's more a matter of trusting in something other than yourself.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 3:45 pm

There's sorta 3 views on this in Christendom. Nestorian, Tahwedo or Monophysitism, and then Hypostatic union.

Quote:
A brief definition of Nestorian Christology can be given as: "Jesus Christ, who is not identical with the Son but personally united with the Son, who lives in him, is one hypostasis and one nature: human."
So, Nestorians believe Jesus was human like the rest of us, but that God the Son lived in Jesus. Nestorians were condemned as heretical, and had a schism.

Quote:
This word refers to the Oriental Orthodox belief in the one single unified Nature of Christ; i.e., a belief that a complete, natural union of the Divine and Human Natures into One is self-evident in order to accomplish the divine salvation of humankind, as opposed to the "two Natures of Christ" belief (unmixed, but unseparated Divine and Human Natures, called the Hypostatic Union) which is held by the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches.
That's Tahwedo, or what the Ethiopian Orthodox believe.

I'm Eastern Orthodox, and Eastern Orthodox and Catholics believe this:
Quote:
Thus, the Council declared that in Christ there are two natures; each retaining its own properties, and together united in one subsistence and in one single person.

Protestants just make up stuff as they go along, as they feel like they have to reinvent the entire Christian wheel, so Protestants don't even know these theories on Christology, and come up with the exact same theories and think they're revolutionary. To quote Solomon from Ecclesiastes, "Is there anything of which one can say, "Look! This is something new"? It was here already, long ago; it was here before our time."

Really, it's kinda splitting hairs on Christological nature. If you'd like to research it, then just look up Christology, and I'd say do most of your reading from Orthodox sources, as Protestant sources are just confusing and frustrating really. Me, I guess I agree with the Hypostatic Union theory, but I don't really think any of those 3 are like, horrible. I think most Protestants you ask will tell you something along the lines of the Tahwedo nature or Nestorian, while most of their actual creeds they're connected to profess believe in the hypostatic union.

Sorry, religion and Christianity is a bit of a special interest for me, so yeah.

Anyway, I believe Jesus and the Trinity was pointed to in the Old Testament scriptures. It starts off as early as Genesis.
Quote:
Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness,
So God is referring to himself as plural.

In Hebrews, the Psalms from the Old Testament are quoted in reference to Jesus.
Quote:
Hebrews 2:5-9
5 For He has not put the world to come, of which we speak, in subjection to angels. 6 But one testified in a certain place, saying:
“ What is man that You are mindful of him, Or the son of man that You take care of him? 7 You have made him a little lower than the angels; You have crowned him with glory and honor, And set him over the works of Your hands. 8 You have put all things in subjection under his feet.”
For in that He put all in subjection under him, He left nothing that is not put under him. But now we do not yet see all things put under him. 9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, for the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, that He, by the grace of God, might taste death for everyone.

Quote:
And the LORD God said, "The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever."

Quote:
Proverbs 30:4 (NIV) Who has gone up to heaven and come down? Who has gathered up the wind in the hollow of his hands? Who has wrapped up the waters in his cloak? Who has established all the ends of the earth? What is his name, and the name of his son? Tell me if you know!

Matthew 3:17 (NIV) And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased."

Luke 1:32 (NIV) He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David,

So passages like that, I believe pretty much prove Jesus Christ and the Triune nature of God.

Uhm, some Christian sects are very weird, like Jehovah's Witnesses, basically have the Islamic view of Jesus. As a cool dude and a prophet, but not the son of God. Mormons on the other hand, take the "us" in Genesis in a completely crazy way. Mormons, are not monotheists. They believe "gods" existed before time, or evolved out of matter or whatever, and God the Father ascended into Godhood by serving his God very well, and then Jesus ascended into Godhood by serving God the Father well, and what Mormonism presents is the opportunity to become a god of your own planet/civilization/etc. So, those are pretty much all the Christological views of all Christian denominations. I mean, just do some reading and stuff, and see what conclusions you come to. One thing CS Lewis pointed out, if you think the Gospels are a reasonable account of at the very least sayings of Jesus, then Jesus if he's NOT God then he has to be a madman, because only a madman would claim to be God. And as far the Islamic viewpoint, Jesus obviously thought he was God, as he allowed himself to be worshipped. Keep in mind, in Revelations, the angel tells John to not worship him, so that should say something.

So yeah, sorry for my boring response, but yeah, if you're interested in the answer, there's that.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 3:57 pm

01001011 wrote:
Ragtime wrote:

You're making a definitional error, in substituting "evidence of god" for proof -- the latter, not the former, being reached by your cited demonstrated failure to prove to be false something that is falsifiable. There is evidence for God; I do not think there is proof.

Since God chooses to reveal Himself when, how, and to whom He will in the direct ways, a person cannot show the strongest (that would be the internally-received) evidence of God to someone else. This is proof for that person, but it is not what is commonly considered "proof", because it is not shareable.

Last edited by Ragtime on 23 Nov 2011, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 4:00 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
91 wrote:
^^^

I think I followed your reasoning about faith (not meaning to be funny here!), and that's cool for you.
For me, faith is letting go of knowledge and reason, and is rather a childlike trust.
And for the record, in no other matter other than that pertaining to Christ would I freely surrender my rationality. Then again, in my religious tradition, faith is a gift from the Spirit, inseparable from the free gift of grace, rather than a choice we make.

Then I am surprised that you believe in Christ.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 4:09 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
91 wrote:
^^^

Huh? How the hell do you come to that conclusion?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 4:15 pm

1000Knives wrote:
There's sorta 3 views on this in Christendom. Nestorian, Tahwedo or Monophysitism, and then Hypostatic union.

Quote:
A brief definition of Nestorian Christology can be given as: "Jesus Christ, who is not identical with the Son but personally united with the Son, who lives in him, is one hypostasis and one nature: human."
So, Nestorians believe Jesus was human like the rest of us, but that God the Son lived in Jesus. Nestorians were condemned as heretical, and had a schism.

Quote:
This word refers to the Oriental Orthodox belief in the one single unified Nature of Christ; i.e., a belief that a complete, natural union of the Divine and Human Natures into One is self-evident in order to accomplish the divine salvation of humankind, as opposed to the "two Natures of Christ" belief (unmixed, but unseparated Divine and Human Natures, called the Hypostatic Union) which is held by the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches.
That's Tahwedo, or what the Ethiopian Orthodox believe.

I'm Eastern Orthodox, and Eastern Orthodox and Catholics believe this:
Quote:
Thus, the Council declared that in Christ there are two natures; each retaining its own properties, and together united in one subsistence and in one single person.

Protestants just make up stuff as they go along, as they feel like they have to reinvent the entire Christian wheel, so Protestants don't even know these theories on Christology, and come up with the exact same theories and think they're revolutionary. To quote Solomon from Ecclesiastes, "Is there anything of which one can say, "Look! This is something new"? It was here already, long ago; it was here before our time."

Really, it's kinda splitting hairs on Christological nature. If you'd like to research it, then just look up Christology, and I'd say do most of your reading from Orthodox sources, as Protestant sources are just confusing and frustrating really. Me, I guess I agree with the Hypostatic Union theory, but I don't really think any of those 3 are like, horrible. I think most Protestants you ask will tell you something along the lines of the Tahwedo nature or Nestorian, while most of their actual creeds they're connected to profess believe in the hypostatic union.

Sorry, religion and Christianity is a bit of a special interest for me, so yeah.

Anyway, I believe Jesus and the Trinity was pointed to in the Old Testament scriptures. It starts off as early as Genesis.
Quote:
Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness,
So God is referring to himself as plural.

In Hebrews, the Psalms from the Old Testament are quoted in reference to Jesus.
Quote:
Hebrews 2:5-9
5 For He has not put the world to come, of which we speak, in subjection to angels. 6 But one testified in a certain place, saying:
“ What is man that You are mindful of him, Or the son of man that You take care of him? 7 You have made him a little lower than the angels; You have crowned him with glory and honor, And set him over the works of Your hands. 8 You have put all things in subjection under his feet.”
For in that He put all in subjection under him, He left nothing that is not put under him. But now we do not yet see all things put under him. 9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, for the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, that He, by the grace of God, might taste death for everyone.

Quote:
And the LORD God said, "The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever."

Quote:
Proverbs 30:4 (NIV) Who has gone up to heaven and come down? Who has gathered up the wind in the hollow of his hands? Who has wrapped up the waters in his cloak? Who has established all the ends of the earth? What is his name, and the name of his son? Tell me if you know!

Matthew 3:17 (NIV) And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased."

Luke 1:32 (NIV) He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David,

So passages like that, I believe pretty much prove Jesus Christ and the Triune nature of God.

Uhm, some Christian sects are very weird, like Jehovah's Witnesses, basically have the Islamic view of Jesus. As a cool dude and a prophet, but not the son of God. Mormons on the other hand, take the "us" in Genesis in a completely crazy way. Mormons, are not monotheists. They believe "gods" existed before time, or evolved out of matter or whatever, and God the Father ascended into Godhood by serving his God very well, and then Jesus ascended into Godhood by serving God the Father well, and what Mormonism presents is the opportunity to become a god of your own planet/civilization/etc. So, those are pretty much all the Christological views of all Christian denominations. I mean, just do some reading and stuff, and see what conclusions you come to. One thing CS Lewis pointed out, if you think the Gospels are a reasonable account of at the very least sayings of Jesus, then Jesus if he's NOT God then he has to be a madman, because only a madman would claim to be God. And as far the Islamic viewpoint, Jesus obviously thought he was God, as he allowed himself to be worshipped. Keep in mind, in Revelations, the angel tells John to not worship him, so that should say something.

So yeah, sorry for my boring response, but yeah, if you're interested in the answer, there's that.

I think your criticism of mainline Protestantism - that is, those that have their roots in Lutheran and Calvinist theologies - is unfounded. Protestants had rethought theology, but never once deviated from the Trinitarian doctrine.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 4:31 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I think your criticism of mainline Protestantism - that is, those that have their roots in Lutheran and Calvinist theologies - is unfounded. Protestants had rethought theology, but never once deviated from the Trinitarian doctrine.

Well, sorry. I think mainline might still have similar Christology views, but I very recently came from the "emergent church" kinda thing, I was raised an Independent Fundamental Baptist church/school/household as a kid. So, I think I more just have personal bones to pick with Protestantism. It's a wonder I'm Christian now, haha. But yeah, Lutheran I think is the "closest" Protestant denomination, and Luther actually respected Orthodoxy greatly, just it never worked out due to geographical constraints. Calvin, on the other hand, I don't have a very nice opinion of him.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 4:37 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
91 wrote:
^^^

Huh? How the hell do you come to that conclusion?

W O R D !

@Ragtime

To quote Darth Vader:
Quote:
I find your lack of faith disturbing...

As a soft deist I see evidence of God all over the natural world, yet I realize my ability to see that evidence comes from a divine spark--that still, small voice that assures me--not cold, hard reason.

PS

Don't read so much David Hume.

:P

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 4:41 pm

1000Knives wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Well, sorry. I think mainline might still have similar Christology views, but I very recently came from the "emergent church" kinda thing, I was raised an Independent Fundamental Baptist church/school/household as a kid. So, I think I more just have personal bones to pick with Protestantism. It's a wonder I'm Christian now, haha. But yeah, Lutheran I think is the "closest" Protestant denomination, and Luther actually respected Orthodoxy greatly, just it never worked out due to geographical constraints. Calvin, on the other hand, I don't have a very nice opinion of him.

I understand it's a bit hard to like John Calvin as a person, particularly with his use of fear of a double predestination to hell and damnation, but his theological descendants, the Presbyterians and Congregationalists, are okay.

Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 6:47 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Fr. Barron sums up my view perfectly

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_4PSgFjtvI&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]

As for the Calvinist discussion... I am a Molinist if anyone was wondering.

Was not spoken of the soul.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2011, 9:04 pm

91 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Fr. Barron sums up my view perfectly

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_4PSgFjtvI&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]

As for the Calvinist discussion... I am a Molinist if anyone was wondering.

Please fill me in about what a Molinist is.

Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2011, 6:57 am

Ragtime wrote:
01001011 wrote:

You're making a definitional error, in substituting "evidence of god" for proof -- the latter, not the former, being reached by your cited demonstrated failure to prove to be false something that is falsifiable. There is evidence for God; I do not think there is proof.

In other words, you are just calling what commonly known as scientific evidence 'proof'. Your 'evidence' is something lower.

Quote:
Since God chooses to reveal Himself when, how, and to whom He will in the direct ways, a person cannot show the strongest (that would be the internally-received) evidence of God to someone else. This is proof for that person, but it is not what is commonly considered "proof", because it is not shareable.

What do you mean by 'god' 'reveal' in 'direct ways'? Does (or can) god reveal directly to a rock? How do we know god reveal to a rock when it does? Without a falsifiable theory of god it is simply impossible to tell which piece of fact is relevant or not.