Page 1 of 10 [ 152 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 6:22 pm

Why are most atheist so disrespectfully to people who consider themselves spiritual. They shoot down other people's ideas very quickly. They insult people who have a religion. I have seen it on this forum.
They talk about how judgmental religious people are after judging them. That is hypocritical.
It's okay not to believe and to voice your opinions on religions but please don't disrespect other peoples faith.
I am not a Christian or a Jew but I believe in a creator. I think it is impossible for a big bang to have created the universe alone There has to be something bigger.
How do you not have a spiritual connection with nature? There is something so much deeper than logic and I feel personally insulted when militant atheist treat spiritual people like we are stupid. :x

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 6:35 pm

Personal insults are not acceptable, but I don't particularly see a reason not to ridicule spiritual beliefs that are blatantly outside of the realm of sanity and/or make claims without having anything but anecdotal "evidence" to back them up.

mar00
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 6:50 pm

Being spiritual and religious are two different things. I respect spiritual people as I am myself but making sense of these feelings is a competence of logic. I also have a strong feeling for truth.

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 7:09 pm

I am spiritually confused right now. I feel spiritually connected to nature but nothing else really.
I know I am not atheist or agnostic because I still feel like I believe in a creator. I was raised catholic but I don't believe in Jesus. I am defending religion because my whole family is catholic and I respect them. I don't want to insult their faith. This post was an emotionally response to that. I feel like people are insulting my family.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 7:45 pm

Hah!

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 8:00 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:

Hah!

Yep

mar00
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 8:08 pm

^^ :D :D
I think fortunately spirituality tends to change with knowledge, experience, wisdom. It's a feeling which requires a certain kind of nurture by logic, a feeling which appreciates the truth (and not holding on to irrational feelings), kindness and humility above all.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 8:13 pm

mar00 wrote:
^^ :D :D
I think fortunately spirituality tends to change with knowledge, experience, wisdom. It's a feeling which requires a certain kind of nurture by logic, a feeling which appreciates the truth (and not holding on to irrational feelings), kindness and humility above all.

I am a strong believer in kindness, humility, and logic, but for me logic precludes spirituality. To each their own I guess

mar00
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 8:26 pm

Vigilans wrote:
mar00 wrote:

I am a strong believer in kindness, humility, and logic, but for me logic precludes spirituality. To each their own I guess

Well I don't think it has to do anything in necessarily believing in any sort of deity, if that's what you mean. Sure perhaps it's a very personal feeling. It might as well be perfectly explained by science at some point. To my mind feelings are (or can be) just a more complex way of thinking, a representation, if that makes sense. That *we all are one* theory (as some form of actual *higher-level* system) might be logical. But anyhow yeah that's up to belief..

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 8:39 pm

Vigilans wrote:

So much the worse for spirituality.

ruveyn

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 9:27 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:

Hah!

I guess I would rather have the militant atheists than He militant Muslims or Christin's.
They seems like less of a threat.

Last edited by artrat on 25 Nov 2011, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 9:54 pm

artrat wrote:
I am spiritually confused right now. I feel spiritually connected to nature but nothing else really.
I know I am not atheist or agnostic because I still feel like I believe in a creator. I was raised catholic but I don't believe in Jesus. I am defending religion because my whole family is catholic and I respect them. I don't want to insult their faith. This post was an emotionally response to that. I feel like people are insulting my family.

i feel spiritually conected in odd ways when i photograph or paint, sometimes with a world im writing.

i can feel spiritually conected to a scene of delphi in the sunset in greece or while teh stars.

to me it has nothing to do with supernatural things, but me and what i value and respect,
i feel a deep conection to many of these things, but most of all physics and what it has given our world and how it allows our consciousness to expand beyond our wildest imaginations.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2011, 10:19 pm

artrat wrote:
Why are most atheist so disrespectfully to people who consider themselves spiritual. They shoot down other people's ideas very quickly. They insult people who have a religion. I have seen it on this forum.
They talk about how judgmental religious people are after judging them. That is hypocritical.
It's okay not to believe and to voice your opinions on religions but please don't disrespect other peoples faith.
I am not a Christian or a Jew but I believe in a creator. I think it is impossible for a big bang to have created the universe alone There has to be something bigger.
How do you not have a spiritual connection with nature? There is something so much deeper than logic and I feel personally insulted when militant atheist treat spiritual people like we are stupid. :x

I try more for the "Love the Believer; Hate the Belief" line of reasoning. It's analogous to their own "Love the Sinner; Hate the Sin" philosophy. Thus, I freely slam the unprovable beliefs (faith) of others - as well as their socio-political expressions of those beliefs (religion) - but only when those beliefs are faith-based, and have no empirical evidence to support them or when the claims are simply false.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

n3rdgir1
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Nov 2011, 10:40 pm

artrat wrote:

We shoot down the ideas of others with the same speed as most devout religious people, the only difference is we don't think there is an invisible man who lives everywhere watching and judging us. We don't make s**t up, and we don't follow the moral beliefs of people from the bronze age.

artrat wrote:

Religious people often choose to judge people on their acceptance of facts based on evidence while atheists judge religious people on their ignorance and acceptance of fairy tales.

artrat wrote:

Your disbelief in the big bang without help doesn't mean "magic man done it", it just means you should probably spend some time studying cosmology and partical physics.Not understanding how something works just means you're ignorant, not that the facts are wrong. I'm sorry you're insulted that I feel people who trust a book written by goat herders have more answers than modern scientists are idiots.

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 12:29 am

n3rdgir1 wrote:
artrat wrote:

We shoot down the ideas of others with the same speed as most devout religious people, the only difference is we don't think there is an invisible man who lives everywhere watching and judging us. We don't make sh** up, and we don't follow the moral beliefs of people from the bronze age.

artrat wrote:
It's Kay not to believe and to voice your opinions on religions but please don't disrespect other peoples faith.

Religious people often choose to judge people on their acceptance of facts based on evidence while atheists judge religious people on their ignorance and acceptance of fairy tales.

artrat wrote:

Your disbelief in the big bang without help doesn't mean "magic man done it", it just means you should probably spend some time studying cosmology and particle physics.Not understanding how something works just means you're ignorant, not that the facts are wrong. I'm sorry you're insulted that I feel people who trust a book written by goat herders have more answers than modern scientists are idiots.

Even if I did study the big bang theory I would probably still believe in a creator(not an invisible man). I have no interest in studying it because science bores me to death. It's only a theory.
I may be ignorant in the subject of science but I'm sure you are ignorant in many subjects that I am knowledgeable about. You should not insult the ancient people they had some very wise ideas. The goat herders that you put down used the night sky as a map.I really respect ancient people much more than modern scientist
Which come up with new theories every day. If there is no creator then who created science?

cw10
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2011, 1:45 am