Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Homosexuality is
an intrinsically positive thing (this implies: "as opposed to being straight") 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
something that is equal to being straight. (Um... please prove.) 58%  58%  [ 7 ]
a less-than-ideal state when compared with heterosexuality 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 12

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 3:37 pm

This thread is not addressing why homosexuality is considered okay; I am asking why it is praised.
I remember a girl I knew in high school was told by a guy that he was gay. Her response confused me.
She went, "That's GREAT!! ! :D :D :D :D"

So, I'm essentially asking why. Why is it called "beautiful"? Why is there praise reserved specifically for homosexuals? Why is every homosexual treated as a trailblazer to the future, a leader, a pioneer even, merely for sticking..........his...............
Why are there gay pride parades? Why is homosexuality always viewed by a significant and growing segment of straight society as a positive thing?

Yes, there are still outspokenly anti-gay people, thank the Lord, but they're on the decrease, whereas the enthusiastic supporters are on the increase.

Last edited by Ragtime on 08 Dec 2011, 3:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

nat4200
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 3:41 pm

Ragtime wrote:
This thread is not addressing why homosexuality is considered okay; I am asking why it is praised.
I remember a girl I knew in high school was told by a guy that he was gay. Her response confused me.

So, I'm essentially asking why. Why is it called "beautiful"? Why is there praise reserved specifically for homosexuals?
Why are there gay pride parades? Why is homosexuality always viewed by a significant and growing segment of straight society as a positive thing?

What?!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 3:45 pm

Positive? No ... there are certain homophobic members of society that perceive even the merest mention of homosexual behavior as high praise for homosexuality, but I see no mention anywhere about homosexuality being considered superior to heterosexuality by any reputable source.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

mar00
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 3:45 pm

Why compare? Why point out in the first place?
It's an amazing celebration of ones freedom. I admire these people.
And by no meants it is positive. Large portion of population is deeply against. So you have to stand out for yourself and to express how joyous and fabulous is to be who you are. Gay parades play an important role in educating wider society, fighting against discrimination, bullying and sheer ignorance.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

08 Dec 2011, 3:53 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Why is every homosexual treated as a trailblazer to the future, a leader, a pioneer even, merely for sticking..........his...............
I'd like an explanation of what this means, please.

IDontGetIt
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Dec 2011, 3:56 pm

Maybe the "Great" bit regarding finding out someone is gay is that it is great that someone has discovered who they are, and feels they are in an environment where they are comfortable telling a person this, bearing in mind we live in a society that still has many haters.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

08 Dec 2011, 4:03 pm

I wouldn't say what you are talking about is praising homosexuality but more so the praising of openness and acceptance of the person's homosexuality. Repressing yourself is ugly thing and there is no logical reason to do that to yourself in this day and age.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 4:11 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Repressing yourself is ugly thing and there is no logical reason to do that to yourself in this day and age.

Depends where you live.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 4:13 pm

It sounds like the girl was trying to be supportive and went a little overboard. I think that people (ok, some people) see that being gay has some hardships associated with it and want to be sympathetic and supportive. I think you're taking the girl's comment too literally.

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 4:15 pm

it is praised because it is virtuous.

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 4:20 pm

peebo wrote:
it is praised because it is virtuous.

Nonsense.

People's sexuality is their own business and is nothing to do with me - unless it harms other people it's neither good, bad or indifferent to other people apart from those they sleep with. It just is.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 4:20 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Why is every homosexual treated as a trailblazer to the future, a leader, a pioneer even, merely for sticking..........his...............
I'd like an explanation of what this means, please.

It means that a person is credited with personal greatness for a sexual preference.

dmm1010
Toucan
Toucan

08 Dec 2011, 4:22 pm

Ragtime wrote:

I consistently hear women complain that "all" men desire some form of romantic and/or sexual relationship rather than merely friendship. Perhaps she was simply relieved that in this instance she'd be spared that dreadful fate. :)

Quote:
So, I'm essentially asking why. Why is it called "beautiful"? Why is there praise reserved specifically for homosexuals? Why is every homosexual treated as a trailblazer to the future, a leader, a pioneer even, merely for sticking..........his...............

I think you've confused acceptance with admiration.

Quote:
Yes, there are still outspokenly anti-gay people, thank the Lord, but they're on the decrease, whereas the enthusiastic supporters are on the increase.

What good does it do to be "anti-gay"? Homosexuality is of biological origin. You're not going to turn homosexuals straight regardless of how much you rail about all the evils of "teh gay."

I do however find bisexuality, particularly amongst females, and society's apparent praise for this behavior to be a disturbing trend; but this is because I've personally known women who were ostensibly opposed to such activities and who apparently had their minds changed by group-think or peer-pressure.

WilliamWDelaney
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 4:23 pm

Ragtime wrote:
New one on me. Where I see anything like that, it looks awkward and token.

Quote:
Why is it called "beautiful"?
I don't know. Straight people seem to have almost as many weird ideas as gay people do, and that's pretty bad. This one's pretty harmless, but I am glad there are still people out there who can tell that I am "beautiful" specifically because I am insanely sexy, not because I have a boyfriend.

Quote:
Why are there gay pride parades?
Because y'all straight folks are really so dense that we literally have to strip naked and march around in body paint to make you stop for a minute to think.

Quote:
Why is homosexuality always viewed by a significant and growing segment of straight society as a positive thing?
Because gay neighbors seem to react extremely well when you choose to be civilized and supportive, which is the reaction you would get out of just about anyone who has a pulse.

Last edited by WilliamWDelaney on 08 Dec 2011, 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 4:23 pm

I don't think people are praised just for being gay, they're praised for being open about who they are in a homophobic world. Also, since various major psychological organizations are affirmative of homosexuality as being normal, I daresay the burden of proof is being shifted toward the anti-gay side which purports it is not okay.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2011, 4:24 pm

Jacoby wrote:
I wouldn't say what you are talking about is praising homosexuality but more so the praising of openness and acceptance of the person's homosexuality. Repressing yourself is ugly thing and there is no logical reason to do that to yourself in this day and age.

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
It sounds like the girl was trying to be supportive and went a little overboard. I think that people (ok, some people) see that being gay has some hardships associated with it and want to be sympathetic and supportive. I think you're taking the girl's comment too literally.

I don't think that's it. Only certain bravery is praised, the politically correct kind. I take "gay pride" to mean exactly what it says. "White pride" is wrong, "gay pride" is right. Explain that.