Is Islamophobia any more justified than anti-Semitism?

Page 9 of 12 [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Is Islamophobia any more justified than anti-Semitism?
No, they're both based on false/overblown fears 66%  66%  [ 23 ]
Yes, because Jews have always been peaceful, and Muslims actually DO hate us 34%  34%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 35

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 2:41 pm

Tequila wrote:
You'll have to look them up but some of these parties are very popular in their own countries - their popularity has rocketed for the most part in the last 20 years.

I am thinking of parties like the Dutch Partij voor de Vrijheid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_for_Freedom) which stands almost entirely on an anti-Islam platform in particular. In the Netherlands, it is the third-biggest party in their parliament. They want, amongst other things, to:
  • Record ethnicity of all Dutch citizens
  • Actively repatriating criminals of foreign citizenship and Dutch nationals originating from the Netherlands Antilles
  • Deport criminals with a Double nationality or single foreign nationality back to their country of origin, after a prison sentence
  • Restrict immigrant labour from new EU member states and Islamic countries
  • Closure of all Islamic schools
  • Hard punishment of violence against homosexuals and jews, which particularly comes from the Islamic corner
  • Forbid islamic gender apartheid by law
  • To pass into law onstitutional protection of the dominance of the Judeo-Christian and humanistic culture of the Netherlands
  • To defend the essential elements of Dutch culture: freedom of homosexuals and equality of men and women
  • To make the Quran illegal to sell in the Netherlands
  • Massively restrict immigration from Muslim countries
  • Ban the burqa, niqab and any other Islamic veiling apparel
  • Oppose the accession of Turkey to the EU
  • Negotiate Dutch withdrawal from the EU
Also, the PVV have successfully managed to make the wearing of veils by police illegal there.

That enough to start with?

You'll have to look up some of the statements of their leader, Geert Wilders - it can be very strong stuff. He claims that Islam is a cancer on the West which must be defeated.

Not that I agree with most of those policies; some of them are completely insane. However, I will say this: the Dutch have much, much bigger cojones as a nation than the British have.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 2:47 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
I'm not surprised. The BNP is basically a fascist party.

Well, yes, but the Islamised left say that about every statement on immigration they don't agree with so what I meant was that I'm surprised that people haven't voted BNP out of revenge. Not that I would ever vote for or like the BNP (who, I believe, are in total disarray at the moment). I think a proper anti-Islam alternative would be quite successful though as long as it's not too extreme. I must say that I don't agree with everything Wilders says.

The BNP did get about 5,000 votes in Rochdale last time out I believe?

puddingmouse wrote:
If people can be bothered to vote, they don't like to waste it.

Thing is, I can't find anything I want to vote for in the current Conservative party (and have had fruitless arguments with local Tories over this). The Liberal Democrats are a bunch of wasters and I would never, ever vote Labour so UKIP it is (even though I have some reservations about some of the membership). If I didn't vote UKIP I wouldn't vote.

puddingmouse wrote:
Plus, we still have an FPTP voting system.

This is true. If we had some form of proportional system, UKIP would have quite a bit of representation in the Commons but due to our system they don't.

Oh, and mum has got your mobile number and has put it in her phone. Just so you know.

rombomb2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Dec 2011, 3:14 pm

ShamelessGit wrote:
I generally like Jews better than Muslims because Jews are more likely to think rationally about their religion, they win a lot of Nobel prizes, they don't use their religion to attack people, Israel is a modern and industrial state (whereas none of the Muslim ones are), and most of the Jews I've met in my life are cool people.

This is true.
ShamelessGit wrote:
I do not think it should be considered a bad thing to be Islamaphobic if it just means that you think Islam is a bunch of BS that ruins the lives of Muslims an people who live near Muslims.

I don't think Islamophobic means that. But I could be mistaken.

I do agree that Islam can ruin the life of a Muslim. But I don't think that Islam is the cause. I think that the cause is the culture. The Western culture successfully separated religion from its society. Religion is now only a side show. But in the Muslim countries, its still very much intertwined with so many parts of society. Why is this the case?

Well the West had a Renaissance and its still riding the coat tails of it. And many of the cultures around the world have adopted the values that were introduced and rekindled during the last 500 years or so since the beginning of the West's Renaissance. But some cultures have not had their awakening yet. The Arab culture is one of them. Without an awakening, Islam will continue to have the effect it has on those cultures.

But maybe this Arab spring is their awakening. I don't know.

I don't live near many Muslims so its hard for me to imagine how they affect society. Can you give an example?

ShamelessGit wrote:
Judaism is also a bunch of BS, but at least a lot of Jews know this and practice a very intellectual religion. Their religion doesn't make them hate people just for being who they are, or teach them to be unthinking conformist idiots, which Islam often does.

This is because the Jews you speak of are Westerners.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 5:58 pm

rombomb2 wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
And besides, even if jinna is mentioned, all the surah would be saying is that Allah protects from jinn and people ...

So either way, you don't have a good case for your point.

I messed up. It must have been late. So I'll find some more later.

No problem. I've stuffed up myself several times here. So it's understandable.

I don't doubt there have been mistranslations from the Arabic to the English but this is not one of them.

Quote:
But about demons. So you believe that demons are real? If so, what do you think believing in demons would cause in someone? Do you think that believing in demons would help or hurt someone in their life?

I don't actually believe in demons. I was just arguing what the Qur'an means by "jinna" and "shayateen".

rombomb2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Dec 2011, 6:05 pm

Tequila wrote:
rombomb2 wrote:
Tequila wrote:
And by extension are anti-Islam political parties in the Netherlands, Denmark, Switzerland, Sweden, Norway and Finland "Islamophobic"?

I don't know. I'm in America. I don't watch much politics. I didn't even know there existed anti-Islam political parties. I am very interested in this question though. Do you know? If not, tell me something about those parties. What are they doing that help us understand that they are or aren't Islamophobic?

You'll have to look them up but some of these parties are very popular in their own countries - their popularity has rocketed for the most part in the last 20 years.

I am thinking of parties like the Dutch Partij voor de Vrijheid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_for_Freedom) which stands almost entirely on an anti-Islam platform in particular. In the Netherlands, it is the third-biggest party in their parliament. They want, amongst other things, to:
  • Record ethnicity of all Dutch citizens
  • Actively repatriating criminals of foreign citizenship and Dutch nationals originating from the Netherlands Antilles
  • Deport criminals with a Double nationality or single foreign nationality back to their country of origin, after a prison sentence
  • Restrict immigrant labour from new EU member states and Islamic countries
  • Closure of all Islamic schools
  • Hard punishment of violence against homosexuals and jews, which particularly comes from the Islamic corner
  • Forbid islamic gender apartheid by law
  • To pass into law onstitutional protection of the dominance of the Judeo-Christian and humanistic culture of the Netherlands
  • To defend the essential elements of Dutch culture: freedom of homosexuals and equality of men and women
  • To make the Quran illegal to sell in the Netherlands
  • Massively restrict immigration from Muslim countries
  • Ban the burqa, niqab and any other Islamic veiling apparel
  • Oppose the accession of Turkey to the EU
  • Negotiate Dutch withdrawal from the EU
Also, the PVV have successfully managed to make the wearing of veils by police illegal there.

That enough to start with?

You'll have to look up some of the statements of their leader, Geert Wilders - it can be very strong stuff. He claims that Islam is a cancer on the West which must be defeated.

WOW! Yes this is Islamophobia. And it spreads Islamophobia. Are these parties the crazies? Or are they mainstream?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 6:08 pm

They're considered the 'crazies' by all the other parties but they are very popular with a large proportion of the Dutch electorate - the PVV are the third-largest party in the Dutch parliament.

Having said that the Dutch have big problems with Islam that don't seem to apply in the United States though I find PVV a bit extreme for my taste.

rombomb2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Dec 2011, 6:14 pm

Oodain wrote:
people care too much about what is said instead of why its said,

the only lives lost in scandinavia due to terroism is from a right wing extremist,
carrying the exact same message of "completely rational hate"
hint, there is no such thing and will never be because once a person thinks like that no amount of reason or reality will reach.

What instead of why... that is the problem!

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 6:17 pm

And then there's the SVP (Swiss People's Party), the largest party in Switzerland, with their anti-minaret referendum initiative. A famous poster they used from that campaign, making the minarets look like missiles:

The Swiss have a tiny Muslim population and only about four mosques with minarets in the whole country with no real history of violent Islam yet this didn't stop the SVP from demanding that no new minarets be built. They won the referendum and no more minarets can be built in die Schweiz.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 6:19 pm

It's worth noting that with regards to the Netherlands, that Amsterdam is now something like 40% Muslim there and a lot of native Dutch are not happy about the immigrants' behaviour in some instances. They feel invaded. Which is why.Geert Wilders is so popular.

rombomb2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Dec 2011, 7:07 pm

Please help me figure this out.

I've talked to a few NT's and confirmed that they think different than me in a very specific way. But I haven't spoken to any Aspie/Autistics yet. So I'd like your input so we can figure this out.

When you're watching tv, and your train of thought goes off on a tangent, are you a) able to follow whats going on in the tv show or b) do you have to rewind it?

Please answer the poll question here.
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp4248660.html#4248660

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 7:58 pm

Tequila wrote:
It's worth noting that with regards to the Netherlands, that Amsterdam is now something like 40% Muslim there and a lot of native Dutch are not happy about the immigrants' behaviour in some instances. They feel invaded. Which is why.Geert Wilders is so popular.

I think even if London was 40% Muslim, Britain still wouldn't have a major political party that was extreme enough to ban sales of the Qur'an!

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 8:10 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
Britain still wouldn't have a major political party that was extreme enough to ban sales of the Qur'an!

Mein Kampf is also banned in the Netherlands.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 8:18 pm

Tequila wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
Britain still wouldn't have a major political party that was extreme enough to ban sales of the Qur'an!

Mein Kampf is also banned in the Netherlands.

Obviously, they have a different idea of what it means to be socially liberal there. 8O

I dunno. Part of me admires the way the Dutch are so intolerant of intolerance and I wish the British had a dose of that spirit. Just a dose of it, mind.

As a side note, ever noticed that this sort of thing happens more often in formerly Calvinist countries (the Netherlands, Switzerland). I think they know very well where theology leads when you take it to its logical conclusion. Following this logic, I think we should give Scotland its independence after encouraging all our Muslims to move there. :wink:

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 8:31 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
I dunno. Part of me admires the way the Dutch are so intolerant of intolerance and I wish the British had a dose of that spirit. Just a dose of it, mind.

The PVV argument is that, as Mein Kampf is a fascist and totalitarian book that was effectively banned after World War II and the end of the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands that the Quran is along similar lines and should also be banned.

Wilders also wants to have a lot of Muslims deported from the Netherlands.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 8:36 pm

Also, the Danish People's Party from Denmark is also very anti-Islam and wants to:

The party also does not accept a multi-ethnic transformation of Denmark,and rejects multiculturalism.

Party leader Pia Kjærsgaard has stated she does "not want Denmark as a multiethnic, multicultural society", and that a multiethnic Denmark would be a "national disaster".

The party seek to drastically reduce non-Western immigration, oppose islamisation, and favour cultural assimilation of immigrants.

In 2010, the party proposed to put a complete stop to all immigration from non-Western countries, a continuation of a proposal the month before to toughen the 24 year rule.

Cooperation with the Conservative-Liberal coalition government resulted in the implementation of some of their key demands, most importantly strong restrictions in immigration policies, which have resulted in what it described as Europe's strictest immigration laws.

The new government enacted rules that prevented Danish citizens and others from bringing a foreign spouse into the country unless both partners were aged 24 or over, passed a solvency test showing the Dane had not claimed social security for 12 months and could lodge a bond of 60,011 kroner (about 10,100 USD). One declared aim of this was to fight arranged marriages. These new rules had the effect that while about 8,151 family reunification permits were granted in 2002, the number had fallen to 3,525 by 2005. Some social benefits for refugees were also cut by 30-40% during their first seven years in the country, ordinary unemployment benefits being replaced by a reduced "start-up aid". Whereas the government coalition's declared aim with this was to improve integration by inciting people to work, immigration spokesman Søren Krarup of the Danish People's Party has expressed his content in that the start-up aid has decreased the number of economic refugees greatly, showing them that "one does not find gold in the streets in Denmark".

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 8:41 pm

Tequila wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:

The PVV argument is that, as Mein Kampf is a fascist and totalitarian book that was effectively banned after World War II and the end of the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands that the Quran is along similar lines and should also be banned.

I can see the logic. I still disagree; I think banning either those books is wrong. Then again, the Nazis never managed to occupy my country apart from the Channel Islands, which aren't in the UK.

Quote:
Wilders also wants to have a lot of Muslims deported from the Netherlands.

Too extreme, unless they are criminals.