Is Islamophobia any more justified than anti-Semitism?

Page 8 of 12 [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Is Islamophobia any more justified than anti-Semitism?
No, they're both based on false/overblown fears 66%  66%  [ 23 ]
Yes, because Jews have always been peaceful, and Muslims actually DO hate us 34%  34%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 35

rombomb2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Dec 2011, 10:01 am

MCalavera wrote:
And besides, even if jinna is mentioned, all the surah would be saying is that Allah protects from jinn and people ...

So either way, you don't have a good case for your point.

I messed up. It must have been late. So I'll find some more later.

But about demons. So you believe that demons are real? If so, what do you think believing in demons would cause in someone? Do you think that believing in demons would help or hurt someone in their life?

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 12:06 pm

I'd say yes. Anti-semitism is against something as arbitrary as a race. Whilst Islamophobia is against a religion, and nobody forces Muslims to stay in a religion that is so ridiculous.

rombomb2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Dec 2011, 12:42 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
I'd say yes. Anti-semitism is against something as arbitrary as a race. Whilst Islamophobia is against a religion, and nobody forces Muslims to stay in a religion that is so ridiculous.

Thats a clear distinction. Thanks for pointing that out. Now lets go further. So for those of you that are Islamophobes, which one applies to you? Do you...

a) have a prejudice against,
b) hate, or
c) have an irrational fear of

Islam or Muslims?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 12:46 pm

I'm not an Islamophobe. I don't like Islam at all but it's not a phobia.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 12:53 pm

rombomb2 wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:

Thats a clear distinction. Thanks for pointing that out. Now lets go further. So for those of you that are Islamophobes, which one applies to you? Do you...

b) hate, or

Islam or Muslims?

d) I have informed knowledge of the stupidity, misogyny, irrationality of Islam. That it as official religion is correlated with countries being crapsack places. And that its followers tend to blow themselves up.

All religions are BS, but Islam is one of the worst of the three mainstream ones.

rombomb2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Dec 2011, 1:11 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
rombomb2 wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:

b) hate, or

Islam or Muslims?

d) I have informed knowledge of the stupidity, misogyny, irrationality of Islam. That it as official religion is correlated with countries being crapsack places. And that its followers tend to blow themselves up.

But d) doesn't make you an Islamophobe. I guess you aren't one.

Vexcalibur wrote:
All religions are BS, but Islam is one of the worst of the three mainstream ones.

We are 100% in sync on this one.

rombomb2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Dec 2011, 1:12 pm

Tequila wrote:
I'm not an Islamophobe. I don't like Islam at all but it's not a phobia.

Exactly.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 1:14 pm

And by extension are anti-Islam political parties in the Netherlands, Denmark, Switzerland, Sweden, Norway and Finland "Islamophobic"?

rombomb2
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Dec 2011, 1:26 pm

Tequila wrote:
And by extension are anti-Islam political parties in the Netherlands, Denmark, Switzerland, Sweden, Norway and Finland "Islamophobic"?

I don't know. I'm in America. I don't watch much politics. I didn't even know there existed anti-Islam political parties. I am very interested in this question though. Do you know? If not, tell me something about those parties. What are they doing that help us understand that they are or aren't Islamophobic?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 1:28 pm

rombomb2 wrote:
Tequila wrote:

I don't know. I'm in America. I don't watch much politics. I didn't even know there existed anti-Islam political parties. I am very interested in this question though. Do you know? If not, tell me something about those parties. What are they doing that help us understand that they are or aren't Islamophobic?

You should be aware that Islamic activism is undermining what democracy there is in western Europe and Britain. In Europe the Islamic immigrants have not integrated well into the societies they live in. This is quite different from the U.S. where Muslim citizens are NOT a foreign element in the nation.

ruveyn

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 1:31 pm

people care too much about what is said instead of why its said,

the only lives lost in scandinavia due to terroism is from a right wing extremist,
carrying the exact same message of "completely rational hate"
hint, there is no such thing and will never be because once a person thinks like that no amount of reason or reality will reach.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 1:34 pm

rombomb2 wrote:
Tequila wrote:

You'll have to look them up but some of these parties are very popular in their own countries - their popularity has rocketed for the most part in the last 20 years.

I am thinking of parties like the Dutch Partij voor de Vrijheid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_for_Freedom) which stands almost entirely on an anti-Islam platform in particular. In the Netherlands, it is the third-biggest party in their parliament. They want, amongst other things, to:
  • Record ethnicity of all Dutch citizens
  • Actively repatriating criminals of foreign citizenship and Dutch nationals originating from the Netherlands Antilles
  • Deport criminals with a Double nationality or single foreign nationality back to their country of origin, after a prison sentence
  • Restrict immigrant labour from new EU member states and Islamic countries
  • Closure of all Islamic schools
  • Hard punishment of violence against homosexuals and jews, which particularly comes from the Islamic corner
  • Forbid islamic gender apartheid by law
  • To pass into law onstitutional protection of the dominance of the Judeo-Christian and humanistic culture of the Netherlands
  • To defend the essential elements of Dutch culture: freedom of homosexuals and equality of men and women
  • To make the Quran illegal to sell in the Netherlands
  • Massively restrict immigration from Muslim countries
  • Ban the burqa, niqab and any other Islamic veiling apparel
  • Oppose the accession of Turkey to the EU
  • Negotiate Dutch withdrawal from the EU
Also, the PVV have successfully managed to make the wearing of veils by police illegal there.

That enough to start with?

You'll have to look up some of the statements of their leader, Geert Wilders - it can be very strong stuff. He claims that Islam is a cancer on the West which must be defeated.

Last edited by Tequila on 16 Dec 2011, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 1:37 pm

ruveyn wrote:
You should be aware that Islamic activism is undermining what democracy there is in western Europe and Britain. In Europe the Islamic immigrants have not integrated well into the societies they live in.

This is very true - ably aided, of course, by left-wing politicians and activists who call any opposition to almost any part of Islam "racist", "neo-Nazi" and "xenophobic". Considering the amount of rubbish that a lot of poorer white communities have had to put up with I'm amazed that the BNP isn't as popular as the FPÖ or the Front National.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 1:38 pm

Tequila wrote:

He claims that Islam is a cancer on the West which must be defeated.

seriously back to the crusades already?? :?

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

ShamelessGit
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 2:24 pm

I generally like Jews better than Muslims because Jews are more likely to think rationally about their religion, they win a lot of Nobel prizes, they don't use their religion to attack people, Israel is a modern and industrial state (whereas none of the Muslim ones are), and most of the Jews I've met in my life are cool people.

I do not think it should be considered a bad thing to be Islamaphobic if it just means that you think Islam is a bunch of BS that ruins the lives of Muslims an people who live near Muslims.

Judaism is also a bunch of BS, but at least a lot of Jews know this and practice a very intellectual religion. Their religion doesn't make them hate people just for being who they are, or teach them to be unthinking conformist idiots, which Islam often does.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2011, 2:30 pm

Tequila wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
You should be aware that Islamic activism is undermining what democracy there is in western Europe and Britain. In Europe the Islamic immigrants have not integrated well into the societies they live in.

This is very true - ably aided, of course, by left-wing politicians and activists who call any opposition to almost any part of Islam "racist", "neo-Nazi" and "xenophobic". Considering the amount of rubbish that a lot of poorer white communities have had to put up with I'm amazed that the BNP isn't as popular as the FPÖ or the Front National.

I'm not surprised. The BNP is basically a fascist party. One nice thing I can say about the British national character is that is abhors extremism.

Plus, we still have an FPTP voting system. If people can be bothered to vote, they don't like to waste it. Hence, most working class people and myself will autovote for Labour.