Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 12:30 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MJTJeZCoV0&[/youtube]

Not like the GOP tries to effectively disenfranchise them or anything.

Marie Diamond wrote:
A 93-year-old Tennessee woman who cleaned the state Capitol for 30 years, including the governor’s office, says she won’t be able to vote for the first time in decades after being told this week that her old state ID failed to meet new voter ID regulations.

The incident is the just latest in a series of reports of senior citizens being denied their constitutional right to vote under restrictive new voter ID laws pushed by Republican governors and legislatures. These laws are a transparent attempt to target Democrat constituencies who are less likely to have photo ID’s, and disproportionately affect seniors, college students, the poor and minorities.

As ThinkProgress reported, one 96-year-old Tennessee woman was denied a voter ID because she didn’t have her marriage license. Another senior citizen in Tennessee, 91-year-old Virginia Lasater, couldn’t get the ID she needed to vote because she wasn’t able to stand in a long line at the DMV. A Tennessee agency even told a 86-year-old World War II veteran that he had to pay an unconstitutional poll tax if he wanted to obtain an ID.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2011/1 ... -voter-id/

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 1:01 pm

Anecdotal.

The Republican Party, historical champion of civil rights, abandoned African Americans in the 1950's for political convenience in need of southern votes, of course that isn't the case now.

I think being a black conservative is a social stigma. Because if you are a black libertarian/republican, people will falsely paint you as an uncle tom.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 1:50 pm

minervx wrote:
Anecdotal.

Various Republicans are pushing laws that make it harder for the poor to vote, with consequences like these logically following. Much more than "anecdotal".

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 2:01 pm

While attempts should be made to ensure that legal people can get photo ID, I definitely think one should need to show photo ID in order to vote.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 5:58 pm

Bataar wrote:
While attempts should be made to ensure that legal people can get photo ID, I definitely think one should need to show photo ID in order to vote.

The rate of voter fraud is virtually zero. It's just a cover story that these new rules are being implemented to prevent that. The real problem is election fraud. But don't expect to hear that in the mainstream news.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 6:56 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
Bataar wrote:

The rate of voter fraud is virtually zero. It's just a cover story that these new rules are being implemented to prevent that. The real problem is election fraud. But don't expect to hear that in the mainstream news.

IT BEGINS!! !

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2011, 9:10 pm

Bataar wrote:
Republicans: The party that keeps providing solutions for problems that didn't need solutions.

Meanwhile, crisis is as strong as ever.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 4:29 am

Ultimately, if they want to keep the law constitutional, they will have to eliminate all fees for any document needed to vote and implement ADA accommodations to those seeking the documents. The poll tax just plain doesn't stand a chance in court.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 11:15 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
Bataar wrote:
Republicans: The party that keeps providing solutions for problems that didn't need solutions.

With 15 - 20 million illegals in this country, it seems a pretty important measure to me.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 11:22 am

I think it's because the Democrats support various social programs designed to fight poverty, which affects African-Americans more than it does any other race.

Not to say that the Republicans don't support them, just that the Democrats support allocating more money to said programs.

InTheDeepEnd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Dec 2011, 11:23 am

minervx wrote:
Anecdotal.

The Republican Party, historical champion of civil rights, abandoned African Americans in the 1950's for political convenience in need of southern votes, of course that isn't the case now.

I think being a black conservative is a social stigma. Because if you are a black libertarian/republican, people will falsely paint you as an uncle tom.

You are right about the Republicans abandoning blacks but I don't think anecdotal is the right word since I think the trend was shown in numerical data in the past. This was discussed in several African American history courses I took in college over a decade ago. In the 50s or 60s there was the "Lily White" Democrat movement and Dems actively worked to disenfranchise blacks. Ironically, Lincoln was the first Republican president, and I was told in those classes that between the Civil War and the GOP turning their backs on blacks, it was common for black households to have a picture of Lincoln hanging up somewhere.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 11:54 am

InTheDeepEnd wrote:
Ironically, Lincoln was the first Republican president, and I was told in those classes that between the Civil War and the GOP turning their backs on blacks, it was common for black households to have a picture of Lincoln hanging up somewhere.

A "love affair" between the black folks and the FDR administration arose in the late 1930's and during the war. Harry Truman finished up what FDR was beginning with a desegregation of the Armed Forces.

ruveyn

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 12:32 pm

ruveyn wrote:
InTheDeepEnd wrote:
Ironically, Lincoln was the first Republican president, and I was told in those classes that between the Civil War and the GOP turning their backs on blacks, it was common for black households to have a picture of Lincoln hanging up somewhere.

A "love affair" between the black folks and the FDR administration arose in the late 1930's and during the war. Harry Truman finished up what FDR was beginning with a desegregation of the Armed Forces.

ruveyn

That "love affair" was somewhat constrained to urban, Northern African Americans as FDR made quite a few deals with the Dixiecrats in the America South. The passage of the Civil Rights Act and Nixon's "Southern Strategy" were the nail in the coffin.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 2:06 pm

Bataar wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
Bataar wrote:

With 15 - 20 million illegals in this country, it seems a pretty important measure to me.
They pay taxes, so why shouldn't they have a say in which electoral collegiate gets more voting power?

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2011, 2:20 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
Bataar wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
Bataar wrote:

They pay taxes, so why shouldn't they have a say in which electoral collegiate gets more voting power?

Because they're not citizens.

Abgal64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Dec 2011, 8:28 pm

Bataar wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
Bataar wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
Bataar wrote:

Because they're not citizens.
Anyone who obeys the laws of the state, provides for the state and otherwise contributes to the state deserves citizenship. The citizen-state, where the state's legitimacy comes from it providing for those who provide for it in a mutualistic relationship, is the way of the future for most of the world. Nation-states and nationalism are ridiculously irrational in organizing any civilized society, hence the reason why they only appeared in the West during Modern Era and nowhere else. While it works well for small, homogeneous societies such as the Scandinavians it leads to xenophobia, chauvinism and slows the progress of the human enterprise in other parts of the world, such as Subsaharan Africa, while other states of different types, such as China's civilization state, outpace states with similar potential that are based on the nation-state model, such as India.