Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

FeralRobot
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Apr 2014, 4:19 pm

I find that in mainstream political discourse there is not sufficient focus on environmental issues, and people seem to care less about the environment, and think it is a non-issue, compared to other problems. Despite being such a big issue - humans depend on nature like any other animal, and many of those animals are sentient and able to suffer as well - environmental degradation seems to be infrequently debated in politics and unreported in the media. On this very forum I see far too few threads about the state of the biosphere (the last one being 'Would nationwide wolf packs be bad?').
I think that it is because humans (particularly the wealthy) do not want to cause any environmental problems, but have a vested interest in activities which do cause them, so of course we don't want to think about the problem.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2014, 5:31 pm

In my area, "environmental problems" have been to determine what environmental lands need to be zoned for home construction to make tax revenue, and make room for humans.

A local city councilman told environmentalists, "nothing lasts forever".

We need to figure out how to change the environment to accommodate the increase of many more billions of humans to the world population

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2014, 5:51 pm

FeralRobot wrote:
I find that in mainstream political discourse there is not sufficient focus on environmental issues, and people seem to care less about the environment, and think it is a non-issue, compared to other problems. Despite being such a big issue - humans depend on nature like any other animal, and many of those animals are sentient and able to suffer as well - environmental degradation seems to be infrequently debated in politics and unreported in the media. On this very forum I see far too few threads about the state of the biosphere (the last one being 'Would nationwide wolf packs be bad?').
I think that it is because humans (particularly the wealthy) do not want to cause any environmental problems, but have a vested interest in activities which do cause them, so of course we don't want to think about the problem.

It may be due to the large US presence on the forum. As such, the forum naturally suffers from the peculiar high level of anti-scientific attitudes towards environmental problems in the US, and global warming in particular.

If you look at it internationally, though, Pew Research did a survey among respondents in 39 countries in 2013 on what was considered a major threat to their country.

On average, climate change was the top scorer, just barely outperforming financial instability.

Image Image

Source: http://www.pewglobal.org/2013/06/24/cli ... l-threats/

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2014, 6:01 pm

Most Americans are dumb as dirt when it comes to the enviroment,I'm ashamed of us.

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2014, 6:04 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:

Haha, what a tool.

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2014, 6:52 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
In my area, "environmental problems" have been to determine what environmental lands need to be zoned for home construction to make tax revenue, and make room for humans.

We need to figure out how to change the environment to accommodate the increase of many more billions of humans to the world population

There are already enough homes to house everyone in America. A lot of them are empty.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2014, 7:00 pm

If I had some jack,I'd buy up Detriot and turn it into gardens.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2014, 7:13 pm

/\ Wouldn't it be better to turn it into something useful where people can live and make a living?
As an example; like what's being done with Pittsburgh after the collapse of the local steel industry.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2014, 7:18 pm

RushKing wrote:
There are already enough homes to house everyone in America. A lot of them are empty

Yeah.

As of Feb 2014, the reported U.S. housing starts is 880,000 (i.e., that many new homes are to be built in 2014).

source, http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1 ... 1167592170

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2014, 7:48 pm

Raptor wrote:
/\ Wouldn't it be better to turn it into something useful where people can live and make a living?
As an example; like what's being done with Pittsburgh after the collapse of the local steel industry.

What's more useful than food?There is a real shortage of fresh produce in the inner cities.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2014, 7:59 pm

What bout all the people if you're going to turn the whole thing into gardens?
Or had to planned to somehow eliminate them?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2014, 8:29 pm

There are plenty of vacant lots and houses that are falling down,I'm not talking about evicting people from houses.What would you want next to you,a community garden or a crack den?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2014, 8:51 pm

Misslizard wrote:
There are plenty of vacant lots and houses that are falling down,I'm not talking about evicting people from houses.
Misslizard wrote:
If I had some jack,I'd buy up Detriot and turn it into gardens.

Nothing in there about leaving anyone houses, just one big stretch of gardens.

Quote:
What would you want next to you,a community garden or a crack den?

Was I not clear enough when I suggested revitalizing the economy?
I even gave a decent example.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2014, 9:06 pm

Do you think there needs to be a park dedicated to Eminem?I'd prefer a Jack White park.JK :P
I didn't know you were a lawyer and I had to be so specific.One big stretch of gardens would be impressive....
If your idea of revitalization is more industry,that already failed there.And it's nasty.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2014, 9:19 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Do you think there needs to be a park dedicated to Eminem?I'd prefer a Jack White park.JK :P

I don't have any use for either.

Quote:
I didn't know you were a lawyer and I had to be so specific.

So you just want to wave a magic wand and do it; no plan on how or what it would take?

Quote:
One big stretch of gardens would be impressive....

Impressively useless unless you can provide some details in the logistics of it all, which you can't....

Quote:
If your idea of revitalization is more industry,that already failed there.And it's nasty.

It doesn't necessarily have to be the auto industry.
It doesn't necessarily have to be nasty.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2014, 9:32 pm

Of course I want to wave a magic wand,I'm a liberal,we love magic wands :D .(on a weird side line someone just went down the road on a four wheeler with some girls screaming on it :? )
If I had enough money I wouldn't have to worry about logistics,the accountants and such would do that burdensome stuff.
I have no problem with clean industry,there's enough junk up there converting old scrap materials into new useable items would be beneficial.
You must be challenged in the music dept if you don't think Jack White can play guitar.